Tail of The Dragon US 129

Gas20

I did it several times on a motorcycle and that was it was only called Deals Gap. I am not looney enough to try this with my 37 ft. Elkridge. All I can say is that he is a better man than me!!

porthole

Retired
How upset were the cyclist behind you?

John, having done this route many times and leaving tomorrow morning to do it some more, it is what you make of it.

I don't ride it at any great speed, follow all the limits and if I get stuck behind something, I just pull over and sit for 5- 10 minutes.

szewczyk_john

Ive done it and loved it but how can a motorcyclist pass such a large vehicle when I know that they could not see around your rig? I would be a little upset to be doing this run and come up upon your vehicle but I'm not sure that I would have even tried passing you on the tail. Glad to hear that you allowed them to pass when the cut outs came up. Did you time your run?

szewczyk_john

It's not just cyclist on this stretch. I've seen a corvette undersut a turn and go off the edge. Some people try think that this stretch is their very own race track. I have seen many unbelievable things on this road. and Ive only been on it once. I do look forward to future rides on it though.

porthole

Retired
It's not just cyclist on this stretch. I've seen a corvette undersut a turn and go off the edge. Some people try think that this stretch is their very own race track. I have seen many unbelievable things on this road. and Ive only been on it once. I do look forward to future rides on it though.

Been on this stretch probably a hundred times since the late 70's. One day after a particular nasty storm the night before (106 mph winds - and Deb and I were in the middle of it!) I went up and down the route 5 times in my GMC. That was probably the most fun of all the trips.

I have seen on this road:
racing motorcycles (one time closed off for a TV shoot)
Any and all types of motorcycles, including a pre 1939 group of bikes

Groups - clubs of:
Corvettes, Mini's, Miata's Lamborghini's Ferrari's Aston Martins, Punch buggies, Model T's OTR Trucks, bicycles, from racing style to 2-5 passenger bikes "Big Wheels" skate boarders (closed road) Antique cars, newest car was in the 30's and all passengers were in period garb.

Tractor trialers, 4 axle tow trucks

Helicopter or two for the mede-vacs as well.

You name it - if it has wheels, somebody has taken them down the dragon.

SailorDon

Oh boy!! Have been on Dragon multiple times on motorcycle even in the dark No way would want to pull 5'er over it. I hope he got dragon sticker for his RV.

Same here. 5 times at last count.

I wouldn't want to take my Wilderness 2175 RB along that route. The "Compression Corner" would be particularly nasty towing a TT rig.

porthole

Retired
This not so much !
Landmark.jpg

And this will get you a ticket if the local PoPo are spying on ya.

Landmark_3.jpg

And this may get that special wave only using 1 digit from the riders and drivers coming the other way

Landmark_2.jpg

porthole

Retired
And "At The Gap" - "There Be Dragons"

You made it through unscathed - lucky you were not gobbled up by one and spit out unceremoniously

Dragons_02.jpg

Dragons_04.jpg

porthole

Retired
Fortunately though - there are vendors at your terminus that will let you honor your trip through this special road guarded by fire breathing dragons at every turn....

Dragons_01.jpg

I'll get your package in the mail, today or tomorrow - wear it with pride :cool:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Well guess what saved Dick was being 18 inches shorter. If he had the Key Largo -----. Glad you had just traded campers.

porthole

Retired
Geeze Duane....you don't miss much LOL.

Nahhhhhhhhhh

Did you find your pictures online yet?
If you decide to order one, i would go with the "digital" download, then send it off to Costco or the like for a print.

From experience I can tell you that they "usually" look better in the hi-res download then they do on the preview page.
There were a couple of good shots of you guys.

One of mine

Dragon_09-2013_03c.jpg

Last edited:

brianharrison

Very cool they take pics on the road. Just like the ride at Disneyland, or any other thrill seeking adventure park... :).

Brian

I have been through the Tail on Can Am Motorcycles, but I wouldn't dream of going through with my Camper! I don't think it would even fit at least not without blocking the entire road.