Taking a truck survey!

coram8

Ditto on the GMC grill!
My last two trucks have been a Duromax and I think the Allison transmission is almost bulletproof. That being said, I think any one of the three, Dodge, Ford, or GM, in a 3500/350 DRW setup will handle the trailer just fine. It really comes down to which truck fits you. I personally think the seat and driving a GMC is more comfortable. Find which one has the trim level and accessories that you like.
BTW, the numbers are out on the 2017 Duromax. 445 HP and 910 ft lbs of torque! Quite a bit more than my 2015.
image.jpg

JandK

Hi again folks! Thanks for all of the great wisdom and recommendations. Keep that info coming. We will include the Dodge Ram in our test drives since some of you are Ram enthusiasts. Should I assume that the Silverado and Sierra are essentially the same truck, or should we be test driving 4 trucks rather than 3? I'm also thinking that purchasing a 3500 diesel dually used might be difficult. I don't know how many of those are on dealer lots or on the market - seems as though the SRW would be much easier to find used.....

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I would research the trucks, then drive them all. You will know. We drove all 3 as we did not have a preference. We did not like the fords, just didn't like the way they felt... I couldn't get past the def tank hanging so low on the Chevy / GMC, but it is one nice truck! But we really liked the RAM and bought one. It was really just preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge

I drove all three 3500 duallies.

The interior / quiet cab / and the deal ($20k better deal) sold me on the RAM.

They offered $6k more for my Jeep on trade - Plus the rebate went from $2500 to $5k while I was deciding.

Mine is a daily driver - Takes some getting used to for parking and drive thrus -

But everyone seems to move over in the fast lane.... :cool:

Sarge

farside291

We just bought the 2016 Ram Longhorn. Is it true the ASIN only comes in Standard Cab 2 Wheel drive?

Attachments

• 20161014_183749_resized.jpg
    20161014_183749_resized.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20161014_183741.jpg
    20161014_183741.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 67

farside291

Every truck on the lot(s) did not have the ASIN. I would have had to order the truck. Then I read that it only came in 2WD and STD cab trucks. I thought well, that explains it. Oh well, we'll see how this one tows. Just got it Friday and will tow back home this Friday. We chose the Ram because of the $20K off sticker plus the $4500 in rebates. Ford/Chevy could touch that pricing. Been a die hard Chevy guy forever but...I have turned to the other side:)

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
We as well have a 2016 Ram 3500 mega cab short bed, dually. Looked very hard for it, but found one. Had to travel to get it.
But, try and find one with a sun roof......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farside291

I have the sun roof and 4X4 and would have preferred to not have either! People say I'm crazy to want a 2-wheel drive, but when I bought the BC I took Off Road and U-turn out of my vocabulary and driving in the Hot Texas sun with the Sun Roof open is just too hot. I do have a question, what's the little back window for? Ventilation?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I travel with two "Aussie" girls and on days that don't require AC, I crack open the back window and have the sun roof in the vent position and you get a nice air flow from front to back of the truck without the noise from an open sunroof.
Also it's just cracked enough so they can stick their nose out with worry of climbing outside.

Jim_Hull

I am on my 3rd Ford F-350, this one being a DRW. Before that I had a Chevy with the Duramx and Allison tranny. I do not have anything bad to say about either. The one thing I would point out about the Ford is that I have added rear air bags to this one and the one before it because of sag in the rear end. It is not bad, but I felt it was needed for a more level ride. An additional $600 to $1200, depending on whether you do it yourself or hire it done. The 6.7l Powerstroke is a beast, as is the Duramax. You cant go worng with any of them, so get the one you like best. Happy shopping.

Jim

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have the sun roof and 4X4 and would have preferred to not have either!

All it will take is a little mud or gravel and some rain or snow . . . and you'll be glad you have that 4x4.

Most especially with the trailer hitched up.

Lynn1130

Yep, I have watched one or two 2 wheel drive trucks trying to move up a wet muddy or grassy grade pulling a trailer. I even asked one guy if he wanted me to pull him up the hill.

Sarge

My RAM had every option box checked.

How can the neighbors hear Metalica without the sunroof open...?

On the Aisin trans - I thought it was the option that boosted our max load handling....

Sarge

SNOKING

My RAM had every option box checked.

How can the neighbors hear Metalica without the sunroof open...?

On the Aisin trans - I thought it was the option that boosted our max load handling....

Sarge

No, with the Aisin you get more HP and torque and slightly less load rating due to it's heavier weight. Chris

Jim.Allison

We just bought the 2016 Ram Longhorn. Is it true the ASIN only comes in Standard Cab 2 Wheel drive?

Just bought a 2017 4X4 SRW long bed with an AISIN, BUT what you may be talking about is the diff, the SRW's is offered with only one diff, the DRW's have a broad diff selection.

SNOKING

Just bought a 2017 4X4 SRW long bed with an AISIN, BUT what you may be talking about is the diff, the SRW's is offered with only one diff, the DRW's have a broad diff selection.

Aisin is available only 3500's. All SRW trucks have tall 3:42 gears. The 3500 duallies can be had with 3:42, 3:73, or 4:10 gears. The Aisin has low ratios for 1st and 2nd gear compared to the 68RFE RAM tranny, which really helps the SRW trucks in getting a load off the line and moving.

Bed and cab length has nothing to do with Transmission or gear selection. Crew Cab SB trucks are not available as a duallie, however the Mega Cab has the option for a dually. Mega Cab also only comes in SB version.

So all 2500 only have the RAM 68RFE tranny and 3:42 gears.

Our truck is a SB CC 4x4 Aisin with 3:42 385HP and 865 torque. The 2016/17's are 385/900.

Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Aisin is available only 3500's. All SRW trucks have tall 3:42 gears. The 3500 duallies can be had with 3:42, 3:73, or 4:10 gears. The Aisin has low ratios for 1st and 2nd gear compared to the 68RFE RAM tranny, which really helps the SRW trucks in getting a load off the line and moving.

Bed and cab length has nothing to do with Transmission or gear selection. Crew Cab SB trucks are not available as a duallie, however the Mega Cab has the option for a dually. Mega Cab also only comes in SB version.

So all 2500 only have the RAM 68RFE tranny and 3:42 gears.

Our truck is a SB CC 4x4 Aisin with 3:42 385HP and 865 torque. The 2016/17's are 385/900.

Chris

My Chevy 2500HD SRW has the 4:10 rear end.

AAdams

We had a '14 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins/Aisin/4.10 and had nothing but problems. 17 times in the shop in 10 months( Not counting recalls ). Most of the problems were nothing major, but it did scare the you know what out of me when I was doing 65 mph towing our rig and the computer decided it was a good time to go in to 4 wheel drive.... that wasn't fun. Or when the computer thought I no longer needed my ABS function on my brakes, or when it thought I no longer needed the ASC function, TMPS didn't work right, the Nav system would lock up and rest....mind you these are all computer problems ( but different computer problems so no lemon ) Then there was the whine that was something they said was normal after testing the truck for 17 days after saying "we have never heard that before... ".
I will say I liked the truck, the features, how it drove, abilities of the truck... I just thought that I had way too many problems for a $65k truck and they, Chrysler / RAM / Fiat, were a pain to work with. I complained enough that they "locked" my VIN. ( I thought I had every right to complain after spending that kind of money and having so many problems ) So when I went to the dealer, the dealers had to call RAM/Chrysler/Fiat before they could pull my truck in to the shop.

We traded for a '16 Ford F350 and have been happy... also got more from the Ford dealer in trade than any of the RAM dealers at various places across the US would give us... we have one problem with the Ford that they will fix once we drop it off for a week that is cosmetic. The little panel that covers the bolts that hold on the dash will not stay in place. The problem is the dash board, not the panel, so I need a new dash.

What ever you decide be sure to look at the sticker on the truck to make sure it will tow and have the payload capabilities for the pin weight of your rig. The salesman do not know and really do not care, they just need the number on the board and once you sign on the dotted line it isn't their problem anymore.