Taking the Landmark Ashland on it's first trip after having it for five months

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We bought our Landmark Ashland December 10th, 2014. A week later I was diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia (Hairy Cell Leukemia). We had planned a trip to California with the RV but we had to change the plan. Doctor told me I could not travel due to low white blood cell count. Sent the family by air to see family and I stayed home with the dogs. The good news is Hairy Cell has a very high success rate so started Chemo January 4th, 2015. By the end of January I was done with all treatments (cancer in total remission) and Doctor gave me the go ahead to travel so we planned our second RV trip to go see our only grandchild in Austin, TX. When testing everything the door side slide stopped working. Heartland was very helpful but they do not have a authorized repair facility in Santa Fe. I found a firm that did warranty repair for Tiffin Motorhomes so Heartland gave me the OK to take it there. It stayed there for 6 weeks and I finally had a chance to take it home. Only problem is the slide failed the second time I used it. So back to shop. This time Ron Scarbury from Heartland got involved in the repair and he educated the shop on the correct way to fix it. Well I am sure you are wondering where this is going. The good news is I am healthy and the RV is healthy so we have scheduled four trips. The first one is to go see my Mother-law in Roswell, NM We made reservations to stay at Bottomless Lakes right outside Roswell. The next trip is Memorial Day Weekend in Silver City, NM where they are having a Blues Festival. Will be staying at the KOA in Silver City. Third trip is the mother of all trips in we are going to Disney World the second week in June. We will be staying at Fort Wilderness RV Park. 3500 miles round trip and two weeks on the road. Last but not least the end of July will be going to Yellowstone. It is a Boy Scout trip so the boys will be staying with the troop but Eileen and I will be staying in West Yellowstone at Grizzly RV park. As you can see we are making up for lost time and I know that I did not handle the issues with the Ashland as well s I should including some rants on the forums that I now regret. In closing Heartland did the best job they could to get my unit fixed and people like Ron Scarbury and Jim Beletti were not only supportive but did everything they could to help me. So it took five months but the fun now begins.

Fred

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Just glad to hear you are healthy. The rest of the stuff is minor annoyance compared to that. Have fun being able to travel now.

Kristy

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Whew! Fred, what a wild ride, have fun and enjoy the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I'll write up a trip report when I get back next week.

Well it is now July 24 and we have over 6,500 miles on the Ashland. We have done trips to Disneyworld, Los Angeles, Arizona and now are packing for a Boy Scout trip with our two 13 year old boys to Yellowstone for a week. By then we will be over 8,000 miles and it has only been three months. After all the startup problems the unit has been fantastic and my wife and I really enjoy the freedom the 5th wheel gives us. Will post some pictures of Yellowstone when we get back.