Talk me out of it...

Nbomar

My dad just traded for a diesel pusher. He tows the Jeep behind it. So far- it's nice. He likes the coach a lot. But, he has three long slides down each side. Every time he gets into the basement he has to bend over and crawl under the slides. He has slide out trays that help, they aren't under all compartments. Also, he lost the nice reclining chairs that face the tv. So many of the coaches lack the entertainment area and the seating is odd. I think it's due to the traveling aspect for passengers. They also said its loud going down the road. So far they have bubble wrapped nearly everything in the cabinets and drawers. Then there is the kitchen oddities. Because the kitchen is in the slide, the place where you would put your feet to stand at the sink is angled up for the slide. Total tripping hazard. They found one where the sink is on an angle and this isn't a problem, but it was hard to find. Other coaches are getting away from propane be using residential fridge, induction cook tops, aqua hot, and convection ovens. That's part of why they put 10 batteries and one massive control center for all the electrical. He also is an electrical hog- pulling 60 amps with three AC's and accessories running. He has a shed system that starts turning things off when power is limited. Neat feature, but tells you how much power they use for everything. I'm not trying to be harsh, but I can tell he's having a hard time adjusting.

On the other hand, they love all the features, towing capacity, comfort, and overall build. He doesn't miss driving the dually one bit.
b31100622217a5e8c0b0e3d77953af27.jpg
1d56c05edd0d30c5d7621a048cd77987.jpg
a5570f698225c0200b6f511c1c64dd23.jpg
5e43333f5b096e8cdb97bb79368dce91.jpg

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

Wow thats a nice rig. I'm not on that level by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

First I had a 25' trailer - nice way to get started in RV'ing with a family. I upped that game to a 36' Class A. Very nice way to travel BUT you must have a toad or love to walk/bicycle (both of which are hugely overrated). The Class A was nice - fam travels together, convenience on the road - go ahead - live on the edge. Eat, drink, sleep, watch TV, use the bathroom while the coach is moving. (Yeah, I know - but anyone who tells you they stay buckled in when they've got to go is either fibbing or wearing adult diapers). Downside - big *** vehicle, CDL required for bigger rigs, high insurance, can't be used for anything but camping (like a fifth wheel tow vehicle), MUST have a toad (more insurance), need to maintain two drive trains (the bus and the toad). The list goes on. Great fun but really not that convenient and much more expensive that even a large fifth wheel with dually tow vehicle. Let's face it - with a Class A diesel (and trust me - once you get over somewhere around 35' even those V-10's gassers don't have the guts to move a Class A properly), you're not maintaining an RV ... you're maintaining a BUS. Yes you are! (plus the little toad).

I just bought my new 5th wheel. Here's what I see as advantages over a bus: lower cost (initial and ongoing - just wait until the first time you need to repair the bus engine/tranny), lower insurance, all of the same amenities without paying for a separate drivetrain, all of the exact same amenities in both RV's but at a much lower acuisition and maintenance cost on the fifth wheel. PLUS, when you get home with a fifth wheel, your truck is your vehicle while with a Class A, it just sits there looking pretty.

Got lots of dough? Get the bus - very fun and convenient. Are you a mere financial mortal? Want to have the same fun at a much lower initial and ongoing cost? Get the fiver. The only huge disadvantage is that with the fiver, you can't go back there and pee while you're towing it.

But hey - that's just me!

Nbomar

Well the wife and I talked about it and prayed about it and decided we would set a comfortable price to bid on the motor home and if we didn't get it no big deal we were both happy with our 5er. I went to auction today and that thing sold for as much as a new one...needless to say, I didn't get it, so I will be sticking with my road warrior for the foreseeable future.

:)

Happy Camper!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sorry to here but glad you went in with a plan, a clear mind, and a set goal. If it was ment to be it would happen.
Hope this thread help you. LOL
Looks like it saved you some money.
Round of beers for everyone. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nbomar

Sorry to here but glad you went in with a plan, a clear mind, and a set goal. If it was ment to be it would happen.
Hope this thread help you. LOL
Looks like it saved you some money.
Round of beers for everyone. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hahaha absolutely saved me some money. My wife still wants to switch into a motor home at some point but both of us are content with what we have. Not to mention we will have almost everything we own paid for with no debt by the end of the year...That's been our focus for so long that I think god kept this from me to keep me on that plan. Either way, I'm happy I did my research and didn't get emotional about it.

I don't drink alcohol anymore but have recently started drinking non alcoholic beer, so I we can definitely partake in some beverages my treat, mine will just be a "near beer" haha. If you come to this side of the country it would be my honor, I still owe you for helping me with those silly trailer brakes a month ago!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well the wife and I talked about it and prayed about it and decided we would set a comfortable price to bid on the motor home and if we didn't get it no big deal we were both happy with our 5er. I went to auction today and that thing sold for as much as a new one...needless to say, I didn't get it, so I will be sticking with my road warrior for the foreseeable future.

:)

Happy Camper!

I like to think that everything happens for a reason . . . and for whatever reason, that motor home wasn't meant to be for you!

You probably will never know what that reason was . . . but something else will come along in the future that might be a much better fit for you!

Who knows . . . it might just be another Heartland 5'ver!

Nbomar

I like to think that everything happens for a reason . . . and for whatever reason, that motor home wasn't meant to be for you!

You probably will never know what that reason was . . . but something else will come along in the future that might be a much better fit for you!

Who knows . . . it might just be another Heartland 5'ver!

Agreed.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
How'd you know? :)

We are doing something similar as well. Will be debt free in less than 3 years and will be able to retire at 50.