Tap into 12v power for cell booster?

jmccartie

We just hit the road full-time with our 2013 Elkridge E30. I recently purchased a cell booster that came with a 12v DC plug for the car. But we've just parked at a campground with electrical hookups and I'd like to plug into that power source.

I was thinking about heading to the local hardware store and picking up an AC adapter, but since we'd like to be boondocking this year, someone told me I should just "plug it into our existing DC power". However, I don't see a cigarette adapter in the trailer anywhere, so I'm guessing I have do do some manual electrical work.

Anybody know how I can do this?

Thanks!

Jim.Allison

Yes, you can install a surface mount, or you can install one that is just like a switch plate in your home. If you get the cigar version, you can buy a plug adaptor that has different charging connections. The cigar lighter is a very versatile DC port, I have 2 that I have installed. One is for a medical device and the other is for my Engel fridge freezer.

It is always best to try to accumulate DC components when practical.

We just hit the road full-time with our 2013 Elkridge E30. I recently purchased a cell booster that came with a 12v DC plug for the car. But we've just parked at a campground with electrical hookups and I'd like to plug into that power source.

I was thinking about heading to the local hardware store and picking up an AC adapter, but since we'd like to be boondocking this year, someone told me I should just "plug it into our existing DC power". However, I don't see a cigarette adapter in the trailer anywhere, so I'm guessing I have do do some manual electrical work.

Anybody know how I can do this?

Thanks!

pegmikef

If you have one it is usually where the TV antenna booster is located (e.g., near the TV cable outlets). I am not sure where they are in the Elkridge. Mine are in the closet. If you don't have one, you can really tap into any 12 Volt line (e.g., on the hot side of any light that has its own switch) or you can run one from the basement area. Some of the rigs don't use all of the circuits on the 12 Volt fuse panel so you may be able to go that route as well.

Jim.Allison

I tapped into the DC under my bed. The lines went to the DC lights above the bed. It was convenient for me in that I was running a medical device.

Bohemian

If what you want is a cell booster, why not just install a power USB port? They also come in surface mount or wall mount.