The Day They Froze Old Dixie Down

JanAndBill

At a little before 10 am this morning we saw our first snowflake, by 10:30 we decided we had better head home (7 miles). 2 hrs later we finally made it to our driveway, and had to walk the rest of the way. We only had about an inch of accumulation on the roads, but it was so fine, and seemed to freeze as soon as it hit the pavement, forming an inch of white ice. Cars and trucks were piling up on every incline. What a mess. Now we are pretty much locked in, mountain pass to the north is iced over, south pass is iced over, east pass is iced over, and steep incline to the west. 4wd is useless without chains (something we don't have in Alabama). Hope our southern Heartlanders are in a safe and warm place.

priorguy

In northern Ontario when the weather gets like that we keep to the posted speed limit. Hope everyone is safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Part of it was caused by drivers slowing down to much "before" they started up a hill, but part of it was how fast the roads became impassable.

VKTalley

Jan & Bill,
Glad y'all are safe at home. We are "home bound" here in Wetumpka at Ft. Toulouse. Went out earlier this morning to fill a propane tank and get some milk, had no problems then but have been hearing all day about everyone else's issues with the weather.

Westwind

Glad your home, in that type of weather travel is a lost cause and very very dangerous. Enjoy your home.

kowAlski631

So happy we made the decision to travel yesterday rather than today. We sit in Slidell, LA outside New Orleans where it's been below freezing since noon & has been sleeting all afternoon. Nice & warm in the BH. So glad we opted for the dual paned windows & the Yeti package!!

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

GrumpyOneandTwo

JanAndBill, I was supposed to have a VA doctor appointment today in Birmingham. Lucky for me they changed it till next Wednesday! Since our camper is at the dealer we rented a cabin at Oak Mountain for a couple of nights. Sure can't imagine trying to get to the cabin today!!!!!!!

Evergreen looks like Winter Wonderland!!!!!!!

Glad you made it home safely. My niece works for a lawyer downtown Birmingham and waited too late to try to go home. She had to get a room at the Marriot for the night!

Stay warm and safe,
Mike

JanAndBill

Mike, our son works downtown also. By the time he decided to leave it was to late. He ended up sleeping in his office.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
"So glad we opted for the dual paned windows & the Yeti package!!"

Us too! We've been in sub-freezing weather so long here in middle TN that it's almost unbearable! The only problem we've experienced so far was a ten foot hose we had to add to our heated hose (just wasn't quite long enough) froze up and we had to modify it so the heat tape covered it all....the dual panes, Yeti pack and the fireplace have kept us cozy!!

Please God...send us spring!!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Don't ya just love the guessing weathermen??? Yep - sunny south - righttttt! This is the 0-1/2 inch snow that was predicted. The Grey Ghost now has a white snow cap.
IMG_1496.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Jan - it's been many years ago since the sledding thing. I just don't like the cold now :)

Randy - you must have gotten the same weather guesser we did. But your back yard is pretty in the snow. Bet your palm likes it too (not)

Valerie - The Grey Ghost is not sure if she likes the white cap. But she's all nice and toasty with the CheapHeat running.

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Gus, If I had any choice it would be the palm and 75 degrees. We already have lost a Pindo palm in the last big freeze this winter.
Randy, Santha and the Poodles

danemayer

From the news reports I've seen, the Atlanta area got serious icing on the highways. I don't think it would have made any difference if they had staggered work and school dismissals. The only thing you can do in conditions like that is get off the road and wait - which almost no one did until their car was stuck.

We had that in Austin about 10 years ago. I left work, scraped 1/4" of ice off the windshield and drove across the street to the underground parking for the Cheesecake Factory. Had a nice dinner and waited for the roads to clear.