The New BigHorn 3855 FL

MTPockets

We had lots of time to "go over" things on our new Big Horn too. Found that a "bunch" of nuts were loose and well below torque specs.. You may already be on top of it - just mentioning in case - safety issues too.

What I found loose and well below spec: Wheel nuts (ALL 32 were loose), Pin box bolts - (five loose & three were ready to fall out), Axle U-bolt nuts (all 16 well below spec), slide cylinder jam nuts not tightened (not even close).

Maintenence sheets say to check these and I'm glad I did.

Things the dealer should have checked before releasing it to you - mine did, and they reminded me to periodically check those items, especially after the first couple of days towing, because they can (and often will) get loose from road vibrations, etc.

Thought I'd clarify - This was our first "new" RV... Our previous MH was purchased in a private sale, so we were not that familiar with a PDI process.. All the things we checked were interior - A/C, stove, heat, water, etc. Exterior all cosmetic. never even thought of checking nut torques -Who does That? .... After reading manuals at home, and after about 200 miles of travel, i decided to check and above is what i found. The dealer may have very well checked, but I'll never know. just glad I read and heeded the maintenance advice in the manuals.....

stevebotts

We just purchased a new Bighorn 3685 from a dealer in Indiana. We will be driving from Phoenix to pick it up. We plan to camp in the Elkhart area for two weeks just to be certain everything about the unit it up to par. We are lucky that we are full time rving and can spend the time. I understand many cannot do this. Keeping our fingers crossed.

cooknsharry

3855FL! well I just got off the CAT Scales?:confused: My first trip Ha :DYou would think with all the forums I have been reading (great info) I would of weighed my 2011Chev2500HD6.6 by itself. DUUUU Any how whats your take/ be nice. I weighed in at Steers #4760, Drive #5700, Trailer hitched to truck 10,340, and GW 20,800... overall I am still under veh max weight

Well after 50+ days of waiting for warranty parts to take delivery, we finally have got it!!!! I did weigh my 2011 Ram 3500 mega cab 4X4 prior to delivery and have the following; Front axle- 4900#, complete truck full fuel and 1 driver- 8420#, rear axle- 3600#. Now weights with trailer fully loaded. front axle- 4720#, complete truck with trailer attached 11,100#, rear axle- 6200#, trailer axles- 10,720#. As I see it still way under my CGVR of 30,000# = trailer axles + complete truck. Still have some wiggle room for other stuff.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well after 50+ days of waiting for warranty parts to take delivery, we finally have got it!!!! I did weigh my 2011 Ram 3500 mega cab 4X4 prior to delivery and have the following; Front axle- 4900#, complete truck full fuel and 1 driver- 8420#, rear axle- 3600#. Now weights with trailer fully loaded. front axle- 4720#, complete truck with trailer attached 11,100#, rear axle- 6200#, trailer axles- 10,720#. As I see it still way under my CGVR of 30,000# = trailer axles + complete truck. Still have some wiggle room for other stuff.
That means (if I figured right) your pin weight is 2680

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
We like the 3855 as well. One of our camping buddies has a 1982 Prowler with the LR above the fifth wheel. He has repainted it and has kept it in great condition. It is a unique floor plan for sure.

Speaking of towing weights etc.:
2001 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 / 4:10 gears
Truck and trailer (BH3055) - 19860
Gross combined weight - 22000

Tows very smoothly, and still have some "growing" room. :)