The things you see...

Rhyph

Not long after the other thread started started about the Little Engine that Could, a gentleman driving a 35'ish foot motorhome (class A) pulls in here to Cherry Hill, where we're at near DC. He's pulling a very late model Honda CR-V on a wood deck flat bed trailer that was basically too small for it. I think to myself, that's a bit odd, most CR-V's are 4-down draggable.

I watch as he circles our loop twice; I wave at him once and smile to get a twisted, blank stare back, noting mentally the many baggage door swipes and rear corner bumper bumps marking up the coach with battle scars. He circles around again and now I'm getting nervous and then I see it!

The CR-V is lashed to the trailer with 3 1" nylon, pressure buckle straps (these, but yellow). Not ratchet straps, no nylon tire baskets, no chains and binders. Just 3 regular old nylon straps with the compression buckles. They were all slug and hanging loose with slack, as I watched him circle around, the vehicle rocking forward and back on the trailer pulling tension on the straps one way, then letting go. One of the straps was tied around the hitch on the back of the CR-V, just to make sure I guess. I couldn't believe my eyes. It's getting dark here, I may have to get pictures of this one soon, or in the morning.

I just hope I never come across this guy on the road. So dangerous to himself, and anyone around it.

Rhyph

2d5f267408a811af6086ee87eb065a90.png

ea578da7874f687b5facf8a11e1f4013.png

Carleen

Is it bad that I sometimes call the State Patrol on those people? I just don't think it is worth a life lost due to their ignorance.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is it bad that I sometimes call the State Patrol on those people? I just don't think it is worth a life lost due to their ignorance.

If they are driving on the highway and posing a danger to others, I don't see why not. I call the authorities on any drivers that I encounter that are repeatedly weaving on the road -- I have no tolerance for DUI drivers -- a drunk critically injured my cousin and killed her friend.

MCTalley

We were following a really nice Class A diesel pusher towing a fairly nice car today. I watched him ride his brakes all the way down the eastbound side of Snoqualmie Pass on I-90. I didn't even have to touch my brakes while using my Ford's exhaust brake. I would assume these higher-end Class A's would have something similar (or better)?

IronJ

A friend of mine complained to me about how his f350 "burned up the brakes and almost killed him" while depending raton pass in NM ( which is HARDLY a long or steep pass!) Maybe 7% for 2-3 miles!! ...I told him I never touch my accelerator OR brake running that pass...the truck does just fine on its own...some people just don't know how to use the tools they have....and do not want to learn.....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Rhyph

It really sorta makes me sad in a way. I had another opportunity to approach him yesterday in passing while walking and try to strike up a conversation but he just wasn't having it. I feel like I want to call or tell someone with more authority to directly approach him about it, but I'm not sure how far to try and take it. We know the owners and managers here at Cherry Hill since we're here so much throughout the year, maybe I'll ask them if they have any thoughts.

hoefler

We were following a really nice Class A diesel pusher towing a fairly nice car today. I watched him ride his brakes all the way down the eastbound side of Snoqualmie Pass on I-90. I didn't even have to touch my brakes while using my Ford's exhaust brake. I would assume these higher-end Class A's would have something similar (or better)?

Newer class A's have the brake lights come on with the engine brake

Carleen

The diesel pushers have a very effective exhaust break. When it is engaged, the break lights come on both the coach and tow vehicle. A bunch of folks have been trying to find a work around for the lights (something to do with the break system for the tow vehicle) but I guess it's a pta so most don't.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

Carleen

Some people just don't want to hear advice from others. Seems that is why they are in a position of ignorance that could seriously hurt someone.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

kowAlski631

It really sorta makes me sad in a way. I had another opportunity to approach him yesterday in passing while walking and try to strike up a conversation but he just wasn't having it. I feel like I want to call or tell someone with more authority to directly approach him about it, but I'm not sure how far to try and take it. We know the owners and managers here at Cherry Hill since we're here so much throughout the year, maybe I'll ask them if they have any thoughts.

Been a few years since we were there, but isn't there a MD State Police office near there?? A casual question could answer whether or not the tow method is legal.

MCTalley

The diesel pushers have a very effective exhaust break. When it is engaged, the break lights come on both the coach and tow vehicle. A bunch of folks have been trying to find a work around for the lights (something to do with the break system for the tow vehicle) but I guess it's a pta so most don't.

Ah, that makes sense, then.

Rhyph

Been a few years since we were there, but isn't there a MD State Police office near there?? A casual question could answer whether or not the tow method is legal.

I think so and we've made contact with someone in the park who knows and is good friends with one of the officers. We've seen the officer drive through several times, every time we stay here, and our back-up plan was to try and catch him going through and casually ask him about it. We have three plans of approach, the last one includes a casual "maintenance" check around the site, but we don't think that will work. The gentleman who owns it has been leaving on the Metro in the mornings and not returning until late afternoon, so catching him there is the other piece of the puzzle before he leaves all together.

Carleen

Just had this guy pass by me today. Traffic just came to a stop in both directions in morning rush hour to watch him go. He blew both the trailer tires and had to pull off the road. I kinda feel bad because I think he is homeless and has problems other than his load. I did call dispatch and requested an officer go assist him. Nothing about it was legal. Not really sure how he made turns as the stuff from the trailer overflowed to his trunk and lid. So scary!!
4b7c5cd55aa878a60bda1c0611a55060.jpg

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just had this guy pass by me today. Traffic just came to a stop in both directions in morning rush hour to watch him go. He blew both the trailer tires and had to pull off the road. I kinda feel bad because I think he is homeless and has problems other than his load. I did call dispatch and requested an officer go assist him. Nothing about it was legal. Not really sure how he made turns as the stuff from the trailer overflowed to his trunk and lid. So scary!!
4b7c5cd55aa878a60bda1c0611a55060.jpg

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

Hey Carleen . . . I thought that was you following me :p

Wish you hadn't called the cops on me, though . . . :mad:

:angel:

Carleen

So sad- I just drove home. He is still there putting new wheels and tires on the trailer. Four bolt wheels- I have a feeling the tires will blow again a mile down the road. Doesn't look like the police did anything to help him ☹️

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So sad- I just drove home. He is still there putting new wheels and tires on the trailer. Four bolt wheels- I have a feeling the tires will blow again a mile down the road. Doesn't look like the police did anything to help him ☹️

Where is that at?

Kinda looks like the area around 120th. & Federal . . .