Thetford toilet issues

Re: Tetford toilet issues

Can sympathize with you. Pedal on our 3 yr old Landmark just fell off a few days ago. Plastic crap softened and started to shred. Bought new one for $50 US at local RV store near Cincinnati where we are hold up awaiting better weather in the north-Ontario. Heartland should really try better quality products in their luxury brands. Do they care?

wdk450

In doing repairs on my 2008 build Bighorn's toilet a couple of years ago, I found that the original shaft for the ball valve was plastic, while the replacement part was brass. Somebody evidently realized that some parts were not built well enough.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I'm guessing that most of the RV toilets are not up to the task of full-time use.

Those of us that use our RV's a month or two total out of each year will probably rarely see such issues, if ever.

Last edited:

Bones

OK I saw a couple of comments about the ball not closing on the Thetford style II how can you tell? My kids toilet is not holding water and it looks like the ball is seating on the rubber correctly. I was thinking the seal is bad. I saw a couple of suggestions on stuff to try, rain X, and Thetford's stuff. I have rain X. will that help the seal? No pooping in the camper here so just number 1's. I thought I would throw that out there.

Daley07

Which is the best??? Thetford or Dometic RV Toilet:
Thetford RV Toilets are some of the world’s best, with the company’s ergonomic design ensuring maximum comfort whenever you use the toilet. Aqua-Magic V RV and Aqua-Magic Style II are two of Thetford’s most popular RV toilets. Aqua-Magic V RV is a breeze to install. It is sufficiently compact to fit into your RV restroom’s cramped space. The Aqua-Magic Style II has a more contemporary look and is taller, making it effortless for people with leg and back problems to sit and stand effortlessly. In addition, Dometic also designs its RV toilets with exceptional durability and contemporary styling in mind. Dometic’s 310 Series of RV toilets are some of the world’s most stylish, While its bowl is ceramic, its base is heavy-duty plastic, giving it a lightweight characteristic for hassle-free installation. The Dometic 320 RV toilet is one of the most comfortable one can ever install in a motorhome. It has a deep bowl that minimizes, if not eliminates, sprays and splashes.

Last edited:

wdk450

OK I saw a couple of comments about the ball not closing on the Thetford style II how can you tell? My kids toilet is not holding water and it looks like the ball is seating on the rubber correctly. I was thinking the seal is bad. I saw a couple of suggestions on stuff to try, rain X, and Thetford's stuff. I have rain X. will that help the seal? No pooping in the camper here so just number 1's. I thought I would throw that out there.
I found that on my new Dometic 300 series toilet, the seal wasn't quite sealing to keep the water column. I remembered an old recommendation from Dometic to add hot tap water to the seal and let it sit. I used a 2 quart pitcher of hot tap water, and let it sit for a couple of hours. The first attempt reduced the water leakage to an almost fix, the 2nd try got it done and it has stayed fixed!!!