Thin Lube Plate

Westwind

I wanted to post this so that anyone who had a problem keeping the lube plate on the hitch pin could benefit, I have a Hensley Hitch BD3 which uses a thin lube plate and the last time I was hitching up it wouldn't stay up and kept slipping during the hitching process and bend in half and was unusable. So I had to grease everything up for the 1100 mile trip home.
One of the gents on another forum I belong to thought of this and it worked so I have an order in at NAPA for the O-rings. I posted a link to the other forum so you could check it out. It's been tested and works and should work for the thicker plates as long as the O ring fits the hitch pin.

http://www.myrvtalk.com/219247-post23.html

jimtoo

What he posted is copied below. You can also use a hammer on the inner edges of the center hole to kinda flatten the ends out a little and it will make it stay on the pin. It don't take much to make it hold on the pin.

while out and about today I stopped by a NAPA and picked up a couple of large O-rings .... as can be seen below part number 727-2334 .... mounted one on the pin under the lube place .... when we get home tomorrow and unhook, we may know if it will work
Attached Images
23763d1480110429-thin-lube-plate-img_7773.jpg
23764d1480110441-thin-lube-plate-img_7774.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
OK - i'm still confused. What the o-rings? Jim, your pictures didn't come thru.

Westwind

It's a rubber O ring that is a little smaller then the diameter of the hitch pin, when it is put on the hitch pin under the lube plate it keeps the lube plate from falling off the hitch pin without any hammering and works multiple hitch ups.
Thanks to Jimtoo for getting the posting online.

alwaysbusy

What brand of plate is everyone using? With different sizes, materials and thicknesses is there a chance the one causing issue is the black plastic? I've found the black in color Camco style wear resistant plastic to be unreliable. It falls off the pin and bends with relative ease. The durable thick white nylon plate is a much better product. Having used both, I've not had any issues at all with the nylon.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a white nylon one I bought at the dealership the day we picked up our Prowler.

Haven't had one issue with it in 1 1/2 years of ownership.