Things to look for on delivery

tcfake613

OK folks... so the 3685RL has been ordered and is scheduled to come off the line next week... hopefully. Could possibly be picking it up on the weekend of Jan 27th.

I'm creating a checklist of things that I should specifically look for when I do the walkthrough. This will be the 7th rig I've purchased in the last 20 years or so... so I have a good idea of some things to look for but every PDI is different.

I was wondering if you Bighorn folks, or anyone for that matter, have run into some issues that maybe you didn't see right away. Will be taking delivery from a dealer somewhat far away so want to be VERY thorough at the walkthrough.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

ihsolutions

Congrats on the new rig.

Definitely remove the panel in front of all the utility connections (just behind the docking station). This way if there are leaks or issues you will be able to spot them immediately.

The shower doors are probably going to leak, but I wouldn't let the dealer caulk them. They are supposed to be caulked from the outside only (per the shower door mfr) and once done properly, shouldn't leak.

These items are in addition to a full PDI checklist which you no doubt already have, with all the new rigs you've purchased over the years!

ihsolutions

One other thing... this seems obvious but I missed it on mine... make sure EVERYTHING you paid for was installed. Check to make sure you have the right axles, brakes (if upgraded), etc. Make sure shocks were installed and not forgotten. That kind of thing...

Good luck!
Jeff

TedS

Operate everything.
If not clear or clearly marked, ask 'What is this for?', 'Show me.'.
I found that if I touched stuff it reminded me check or ask.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Congrats on the new rig.

Definitely remove the panel in front of all the utility connections (just behind the docking station). This way if there are leaks or issues you will be able to spot them immediately.

The shower doors are probably going to leak, but I wouldn't let the dealer caulk them. They are supposed to be caulked from the outside only (per the shower door mfr) and once done properly, shouldn't leak.

These items are in addition to a full PDI checklist which you no doubt already have, with all the new rigs you've purchased over the years!

Jeff, I sat through the same lecture you did and still scratch my head at their recommendation. I caulked mine on the inside right after we got it and have not had a problem in three summers of use.

hriker

If you can video the PID so you can refer to later. My wife did the video while the dealer and I did the PID. You get a lot of information at the PID and I have gone back to the video a few times now. Good luck with the new rig.

MTPockets

We took delivery October 31st and have only travelled a total of just under 500 miles since. The various manuals instruct you to check nut torques - I did that after just a few miles and found a lot of loose nuts. If you have a distance to travel after delivery, I would check them soon. I found my pin box mounting nuts loose, 'all' 16 of the u-bolts on the axles were well below torque spec., wheel nuts were below torque, and most of the water line nuts were loose behind the wall in the basement. in fact, we found water on the basement floor from a drip that had been dripping three days before we noticed. From what I can gather, this is all normal and that's why the manuals tell you to check - but it was never mentioned at time of delivery.

Westwind

Your smart in doing it at the dealer, I couldn't because it was a 4 1/2 hour drive to and from and I was working the next 2 days. Heartland was paying us $400 to take delivery by the next day so we had alot of things controlling our timeframe. But I was very very lucky. Only problem was the Fantastic fan in the kitchen vent wouldn't work, fuse was blown. Put a new fuse in still wouldn't work, took the Thermostat off and put the two wires together and it worked just fine. Fantastic sent me a new thermostat asap and we were in business. Installed two kitchen slide skirt supports to see if I could stop the movement. Also replaced some screws on the exterior of the slide that the heads were broken off during installation. Had the water connected for two months, water heater going, refer going, heat going, ac going, All systems work with no leaks.
But thats it so far. :) To me thats not bad at all. Starting next month we will be in it for 3 months so maybe I'll some more positive news.

tcfake613

These are great suggestions folks. This is exactly what I am looking for. Some of this goes beyond the normal PDI.

We will be traveling about 6 hours. We're heading down early on a Friday and hope to inspect the unit Friday afternoon. If anything can be taken care of they'll have Friday afternoon and Saturday early to address some of this. Already talked to the dealer about it.

MTPockets, thanks for the suggestions on nut torques. I will have a set of tools with me for such tasks.

My dads 3055 had the same issues with leaks behind the dock center. I will check connections behind that.

I also will do a thorough undercarriage inspection and walk the roof.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Willym

Check the date on the tyres. Manufacturers have been known to use old ones. There's a number on the tyre showing week and year of manufacturer. I'd be reluctant to purchase a new trailer with tyres say more than 6 months old. Here's some information on reading tyre codes.

The Dot code is a 10 to 12 digit number located next to the letters "DOT". BTW, the codes can be numbers OR letters.

#1 The first 2 digits are a code for the manufacturing plant.

#2 The next 2 digits are a code for the tire size.

#3 The next 3 or 4 digits are a code for the type of tire.

#4 The last 3 or 4 digits are the date code. The format is week/week/year/year or week/week/year. These are always numbers. Starting in the year 2000, the date coding format uses 4 digits. Before 1999 the format was 3 digits. Years 1999 and 2000 were transition years, so you can find both 3 & 4 digits in the date code.

Example, date code 2611 means the 26th week of 2011.

Westwind

Take a tape measure with you and check the distance between the bedrails and trailer after you have hitched up. Ideal distance would be 6-7 inches.
I drove home without checking I was so wrapped up in everything else. You might want to bring your tool bag just in case. The dealer should adjust your hitch for you to get the 6-7 inches prior to your leaving.
I'd really start a list as you read this post so you can then put everything in some type of order so you don't miss anything.

Last edited:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Get the list of options and stuff that comes with the unit. Put your eyes on everyone of them and look at it. We bought a previous unit and had an extra ac unit installed in the bedroom. I looked and it was there. Got home to south louisiana and a few months later, the unit was hot. I finally got around to checking the ac unit, had a smaller unit than what we had ordered. Dealer & forest river made it right.

vicrider

We bought our 3585 locally on Dec 5th, and it was cold so the dealer persuaded me to forgo hooking up the city water. Bad decision, first outing we had leaks behind the control center for the city water and the black tank flush. Had strong propane odor too in the basement and they found 2 propane leaks. Took it home after they repaired it all and had it outside in the driveway so family could tour it. Had 2 days of some really rainy weather and found the bedroom slide was leaking. Brought the slide in and as soon as it sealed shut, the pulleys that control the cables for the slide popped out of the wall!! Been at the dealers for 2 weeks now and we leave on Feb 11th for Tucson, crossing my fingers. Hope you have better luck!

Scott