Thinking of getting Satellite service

My husband and I are living full time in our 5er at a campground. Cable is included however, there is no DVR option and they don't have all the channels we would like. We will be living here for 18 months or so while our house is being built on our retirement land, but plan to travel in the RV once we can retire full time. We would like to purchase a dish and box with DVR capabilities. We have 2 TVs in the RV. Our retirement place is in the middle of nowhere but according to the websites would have satellite options if we want to take our dish and box with us when we go once a month (it is 300 miles away from where we are now while we still work to pay for all this happiness) I have researched the reviews but am still undecided. We do not want something that is attached to the RV as we want to take it with us. We prefer not to spend $1200 on a dish. We are thinking DISH network with a Wally receiver and a Winegard Pathway 2X PA6002R. Those would cost $666. on Amazon. Should we purchase that first and then call DISH or have them do it all? I would really appreciate any feedback!

Garypowell

Couple of thoughts.

1. That Winegard satellite system only gets Dish to my understanding. If you don’t like Dish and want to switch to Directv you’ll have to buy another antenna. So I’d choose another model that you can switch back and forth.

2. Again my understanding is that with the Wally you can’t record something on one Wally and then watch it on the other one. With DirecTV system you can. You lose HD when traveling but if you put a stationary antenna on your house you will.

dave10a

Couple of thoughts.

1. That Winegard satellite system only gets Dish to my understanding. If you don’t like Dish and want to switch to Directv you’ll have to buy another antenna. So I’d choose another model that you can switch back and forth.

2. Again my understanding is that with the Wally you can’t record something on one Wally and then watch it on the other one. With DirecTV system you can. You lose HD when traveling but if you put a stationary antenna on your house you will.

Interesting I bought the Wineguard carryout because it tracks Dish eastern and western arc's as well as DirectTV and Hughes with the proper dip switch settings :)

wdk450

Most Dish network deals if you sign a 2 year contract include free equipment. This can include a dish antenna on a tripod for mobile use. Thousands of RVers do it this way, and the dish isn't all that hard to aim with some experience and the new smartphone apps. I have been doing my TV this way since 2009, originally moving the receiver between my house (where I had a permanently installed dish antenna) and my Bighorn when I went out on trips; and then when I sold my house and went full time in the Thousand Trails system (with a 3 week stay limit at one of their parks before you had to move to another one). So I have re-aimed my dish antenna many, many, times.

See: https://www.dish.com/programming/packages/

BTW, Dish works with RVers. When you move, you just call them and tell them that you want to change your service address, and have any local street address (including zip code, and RV space - if applicable). I have left my service address set to Sacramento when i went cross country to the 2013 Heartland National rally in Elkhart, In. and although I lost the OTA network tv stations whan I got more than 250 miles from Sacramento, I kept receiving the 2 Bay area sports channels with the A's and Giants games. I received the Los Angeles OTA network signals 200 miles away from LA in Quartzsite, Az. when I left my service address set for the Menifee, Ca. Thousand Trails where I was before that.

oldelmer1

We have the KING tailgater with Dish Outdoors( dish on the go), we bought 2 wally's cause Camping World told us we can watch 2 TV's at the same time.

Well, that's true, but there is a primary port and a secondary port. The primary controls the satellite choice, the secondary only shows what channels that the primary is pointing at.

If you install the DISH app on your smart phone, you can now go into the app and change your locals yourself.

Oh, and this KING dish only looks at 1 satellite at a time, so if you switch channels, you sometimes have to wait for the KING to find the other satellite.

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

Interesting I bought the Wineguard carryout because it tracks Dish eastern and western arc's as well as DirectTV and Hughes with the proper dip switch settings :)

You are correct. The Winegard Pathway 2X PA6002R receives DISH HD western and eastern arcs as well as Direct TV standard def. Dip switches are used to change the receiver settings. Otherwise it is automatic. I recommended this and the Wally to my sister for her RV.

ramdually4100king

Dish tail gator ($500) will only do one tv and will cost $80+ a month.

Directv will take some setup at each location but 3 TVs with a DVR costs $60 a month.

The dish was set and forget but the price and single tv was a turn off for us. Also if the DVR or dish goes bad you’ll have to shell out $500 more for another system.

It takes us 10-30 minutes to set up directv when we move and if the DVR, dish, or cables go bad directv sends someone out to repair or replace.

richheck

Seasoned Member
I’m with you on your choice of Wally’s and Pathway X2. For a one time fee, you can attach an external hard drive to each Wally to record (DVR). I’m able to record one station and watch another but I’m using a Winegard Traveler on my roof so I’m not limited to a single sat at a time. I carry an X2 in case I’m blocked by trees. I have three TVs in my coach , living area and bedroom have their own Wally. I mirror the bedroom set by wireless HDMI to my outside set. Works great for me.

- - - Updated - - -

txfnp12

I’m with you on your choice of Wally’s and Pathway X2. For a one time fee, you can attach an external hard drive to each Wally to record (DVR). I’m able to record one station and watch another but I’m using a Winegard Traveler on my roof so I’m not limited to a single sat at a time. I carry an X2 in case I’m blocked by trees. I have three TVs in my coach , living area and bedroom have their own Wally. I mirror the bedroom set by wireless HDMI to my outside set. Works great for me.

- - - Updated - - -
What do you use to mirror your bedroom TV to the outside set? Can this be done with DirecTV?

richheck

Seasoned Member
What do you use to mirror your bedroom TV to the outside set? Can this be done with DirecTV?

If it has an HDMI outlet it should work, I’m not that familiar with Direct,, just know it’s not as compatible with RVs if wanting HD. Used “IOGEAR Wireless 3D Digital Kit with Full HD 1080P and 5.1 Channel Digital Audio, GW3DHDKIT” around $200.00 if I remember correctly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

wdk450

Dish tail gator ($500) will only do one tv and will cost $80+ a month.

Directv will take some setup at each location but 3 TVs with a DVR costs $60 a month.

The dish was set and forget but the price and single tv was a turn off for us. Also if the DVR or dish goes bad you’ll have to shell out $500 more for another system.

It takes us 10-30 minutes to set up directv when we move and if the DVR, dish, or cables go bad directv sends someone out to repair or replace.

Dish network has a plan where you pay $8 a month, and that covers your Dish Network equipment for any service needed. 3rd party cables and automatic aiming dish antennas are not covered in this.