This can get complicated

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Don't forget about COE (Corp of Engineer) parks, and State parks. We stayed in a lot of state parks with no problems. Our trailer is 38ft plus our TV.

Corp Lake Gateway Web Site.

The Tyler State park in Texas, Fool Hollow SRA @ Show Low AZ, and many others have been great for us.

KOA (Keep On Adding) parks are not our favorite. We have been to some that were enjoyable but they are to expensive for us.

We also use Passport America (note: Passport America has taken over Camp Club America) a few have been great some just ok.

We seldom make reservations, unless the weekend is a holiday weekend when all the weekenders fill up the campgrounds.

Great Thread.

BC

porthole

Retired
We travel with the RV at times the same as bike trips - just wing it.
Figure out about where we will be by whatever time and then look. GPS and smart phones sure help with that.

And if all else fails - the RV is completely self contained and can be easily for 4-6 days. If we were lucky enough to do a cross country trip there is always a give an take. I now have enough vacation time but not enough $$$. So that type a trip would take advantage of cost savings, e.g. rest stops or parking lots mixed in with campgrounds.

I haven't seen it outside of Ohio, but the interstate est stops have RV hookups for only $20 per 24 hour period. Not bad, and you are away from all the traffic. Size is limited, but I have never seen the spots with enough vehicles that you couldn't take up an extra space or two.

Delaine and Lindy

We always use reservations, we only travel 250 to 300 miles daily. Our rule is out of a park around 8:00 am and into a RV park around 4:00 pm. This works for us. Since we have went West for the last 7 years (Summer time) we know just about were we want to stay.. We very seldom use Fed or State park we found in the beginning that most were out dated, small and to many trees again thats our preference.. But we are in no hurry to get to our destination, we spend about 8 months a year in our 5th wheel. And we know about what we want in a RV park. We found Trailer Life to be very helpful at finding RV parks.. We never use RV park reviews, just to many different opinions. We always tell them our requirements and don't want to be in or around trees... We spend our winters in Florida and go West in the summer months. Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and this past year we spend time in Northern New Mexico, Taos, Santa Fe, and Red river. But most of the time we were in Colorado. And our plans are Buena Vista, Colorado this June. And we are looking at going back to Arizona next winter. Just getting to expensive here in Florida... Sounds like the trip West will be a good one. Good Luck... For you and yours. Happy Trails.....

caokgafamily

I'm with Porthole, We have made 3 trips from Ga to Ca and have never made a reservation! It's an adventure for us and we just like to wing it. Yes we have stayed in some dumps though..
Steve

mikeandconnie

Hi
, I always print out the Good Sams Route Planner and have it with me. It show you mile/hours along the route, rest stops, and Good Sams Parks locations. Here a link http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/freetriprouting/. I also print out the Flying J/ Pilot fuel stops planners for all my trips or you can get a map at the store. Flying J/ Pilot offers a RV Fuel Card for pump start up without going in, Fuel Discounts, and no credit card charges with the card.

Enjoy your trip.
Mike

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
There is a Camp & RV version (with out the tent)

What a great find Kevin.
http://www.allstays.com/apps/camprv.htm

This is a great little app for the iPhone (or iPad). For $5.99 it include low overpass warnings, Walmarts (with different indicators for those that don't allow overnighting and those where you should ask), most campgrounds with links to websites, reviews, phone numbers pictures, and for anyone who is member of Elks Club (I am not) it also list lodges where you can apparently park overnight.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Just downloaded it. Looks like it will be very helpful for our trip to Gillette.

Kristy

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just emailed the owner of Allstays Camp & RV about the filter. I would like to filter out a few things I am not intrested such as lodges. What the filter does is filter out everything except what you select. This is still an advantage to find a specific thing. I selected the clearances up to 14ft and can see where these are located. This is cool.

Here is Adam's response.
Hi BC, that is a good request and one I think about some times. Yes, you only see what you select. Which is good for when you need a certain thing right now. But I too would sometimes like to just eliminate certain things. That is where the advanced filter groupings came into play. One touch to see only campgrounds, rest areas or truck stops. But it would be nice to go further or the opposite. The trick is somehow doing both options and being understandable. Even now, many people do forget a filter is on and it's easy to get lost or look at a incomplete map and not realize it.</SPAN>

I am always working on it and trying to improve things. And there is always some technical reason or usability issue behind why it isn't there yet.
</SPAN>

Each point has a update button on the detail view. That allows you to report any thing you see differently and I get many of those every day that go into the following update. And there is a add a place button in the upper left as well.
</SPAN>

I'm here to help as one RVer to another so ask questions or make suggestions any time.
</SPAN>

Adam

I like his response.

BC