Threads broke for gray valve handle

So we were setting up for camp and I noticed the handle for the gray valve had fallen off and lucky me, I found it a few inches away.

Went to thread the plastic handle on the stem and in doing so the metal treads broke off the stem with very little effort on my part.

Replacing the valve, which buried in the underside of the trailer won’t be real fun. IMG_7376.jpeg

Has anyone ever tried to put new threads on one of these valve stems? Or do you have another trick other than replacing the valve?

rhodies1

Is there any thread left on the stem. .if not ..slde the handle onto the stem. Drill a hole through the handle and stem and insert a cotter pin to hold it in place. I’ve done this trick before….

Is there any thread left on the stem. .if not ..slde the handle onto the stem. Drill a hole through the handle and stem and insert a cotter pin to hold it in place. I’ve done this trick before….

There is one and a half threads so basically no threads left. That’s a perfect fix!! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen those rods with handles for sale so I'm thinking the rod is screwed into the valve along with a jam nut. If you can access the valve you might be able to replace just the rod and handle.

Peace
Dave

I've seen those rods with handles for sale so I'm thinking the rod is screwed into the valve along with a jam nut. If you can access the valve you might be able to replace just the rod and handle.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave. I saw that option on Amazon where they sell just the stem and handle. It’ll be a trick digging through the spray foam around the valve but guess this will have to be my option #2.

The same thing happened on my 2024 Mallard. The handle broke off on mine and I found out the rod is just an extension rod. I didn’t have to take it all apart. I got an 8 or 9 inch extension rod from Amazon with the handle. I unscrewed the rod counter clockwise and screwed the replacement rod on with a new aluminum handle so it wouldn’t break again . If you are not lucky enough to just unscrew the rod counter clockwise you may have to cut some of the spray foam back so you can hold the part of the rod the extension rod screws onto?? Good luck! I hope this helps!

MDH2021

We lost the entire handle and rod on our 2021 Mallard M260. We were able to remove some of the foam insulation to expose the threaded end of the valve. Re replaced threaded rod and handle. Use some blue Loctite. The rod is an aluminum threaded tube with a piece of all-thread. Your picture looks like the all-thread may have backed into the tube rather than breaking off. You may be able to grab it with some pliers and rotate it out. After our issue we bought spares. The plastic "T" handles break easy, so we switched to metal. Good luck with the fix.

We lost the entire handle and rod on our 2021 Mallard M260. We were able to remove some of the foam insulation to expose the threaded end of the valve. Re replaced threaded rod and handle. Use some blue Loctite. The rod is an aluminum threaded tube with a piece of all-thread. Your picture looks like the all-thread may have backed into the tube rather than breaking off. You may be able to grab it with some pliers and rotate it out. After our issue we bought spares. The plastic "T" handles break easy, so we switched to metal. Good luck with the fix.

Winner, winner chicken dinner! It was exactly as you described.

I carefully held the 1 1/2 threads with needle nose and turned the stem which, like you mentioned, is a threaded tube. Doing this exposed plenty of threads to put the handle back on. Ordering metal handles and adding some blue Loctite when we get back home. Thank you for solving the problem!

Thanks to others for their helpful suggestions.