Hi...Newmember With A Question For Jimtoo

Hi there....

I have the Valtera cable valve system that has been giving me nightmares for 1.5 years now, with over $500 out of pocket expenses.

Now, just 3 months after a complete replacement of valve and cable, it's broken again.

This time, the problem is that the black cable housing has pulled away from the aluminum sheath at the handle. Valtera and the RV dealer that replaced it 3 months ago, are willing to "correct the problem" again at no cost to me, but no cost to me and no cost to them don't exactly mean the same thing.

I am an hour away from the dealer, and permanently docked, as I am temp out of work as a travel nurse with a knee injury waiting on surgery. It would be a major thing to get this 5th wheel there for what may take 30 minutes to resolve, going by what it took last time to replce the entire thing.

I saw an old thread about this and saw jimtto had a solution, and even drawings. I understand about pushing the sheath back in to the aluminum housing, but don't get where the threaded rod comes in, or the clamps. My handle is exposed front and back and easy to get too.

Any way you can help me out? I didn't know if I should post to a thread that old, or not.

Here is the thread and the post I am referring to...

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/13825-Dump-Valve-Question/page4

I used the JimToo Fix... worked for mine lose cable...when the cable covering came lose from the metal sleeve behind the dump handle...

JimToo suggested using a short length of threaded rod or cut off the hex head from a bolt & two Stainless Steel draw band clamps

Your going to need to get to the back side of the valve handles... on my BigHorn it was behind the frame... so I had to cut a flap in the belly cover... I folded it back & taped it shut once the repair was done. I was able to loosen the nut holding the handle onto the frame and pull enough through the frame to do the repairs.

Stuff the lose cable shield back in the steel sleeve... Clamp one of the stainless steel draw band on the metal sleeve the second clamp over top the plastic shield part of the cable... The threads bite into both the metal sleeve & the plastic cable cover... it's been working for quite a while now with this fix.

I did send a private message but not sure that it went through as it is not in my sent box.

Thank you....:)

Here is the problem....

211fabcf.jpg

jimtoo

Hi southernrainbeaux,

I sent the pic to the email address you sent in the PM.

But here is the pic,,, kinda crude drawing, but it works good.8-3-2009 6;25;15 PMdrawing.JPG

Jim M

Hi jimtoo......that is perfect and what I need. Yes, I can do that! You just saved me an entire day and a LOT of work. THANK you!

I'm not a Heartland owner but read everything I can, and hope y'all will allow me to stay. I have learned everything I know about RVs from RV Forums, and have amazed myself at the problems I've been able to fix by myself after some research and questions......:)