Tire Blow out / Wrong tires on new rig

danemayer

My guess is the dealer checked and set the inflation. I say that because the same dealer set mine to 90 psi three years ago and told me that setting them higher would cause a problem.

If you then aired them up to 110 before leaving, something else probably caused the failure.

jbeletti

Tredit Tire and Wheel sets the pressure at 110 PSI for load range G tires they supply to Heartland. It's always possible they set it wrong. Or maybe it was the dealer.

Goodyear G614 failures so early on are very rare. Sorry to hear of this. I will let Heartland know about the ambiguity in the language about tires in the Landmark manual. You DO HAVE the correct tires.

Easy for me to say as I'm not in your shoes, but please try to move on from the statement in your manual and focus your energy and efforts on getting made whole on the tire. Contact Tredit Tire and Wheel ASAP if you have not already done so.

porthole

Retired
Blowouts on G614s are unusual. The good news is that Goodyear will take care of you without any fuss.

Since most blowouts are caused by excess weight or underinflation, get your trailer weighed to make sure you're not overweight - individual wheel weights if possible since the weight is not evenly distributed. Also make sure you have the tires inflated to 110psi, checked when ambient temp is 70 (F).

We may think the G614's blowouts are unusual, but for the most part we have limited user feedback. Though even limited we have a more then a couple of members that have now had 614 issues. The main difference is that GY has always stepped up and made the customer whole.

New trialer, tire problem already, I would approach Goodyear about getting credit for all your tires and upgrade to H rated tires.

The manual is generic and applies to most/all of the Heartland product line. The warning about LT/ST tires doesn't apply to your situation.

In this day and age of build to order, there is no reason the manual isn't printed to order.

There are never any guarantees with tires. I switched to Goodyear G114's and 17.5 wheels two years ago. I would guess that these tires have less than 12,000 miles in two years and are always covered when in storage or on long stays. They are covered right now. While walking around the trailer the other day and inspecting I found a bubble on the sidewall of one of these tires.

Bobby, this is the first I heard of the 114's having an issue, guess I'll start a more then cursory inspection on mine. I'm up to 14,400 on mine.
Did you contact the selling dealer?

The Goodyear G614 is specifically designed for trailer use, and to deal with trailer stresses. It also meets the tougher certification requirements of LT tires. So when discussing the general warning against substituting to an LT tire, the G614 falls outside of this discussion.

Despite this tire failure, you have a great set of tires that are appropriate for your Landmark.

Someone whose opinion I respect and trust told me two months ago GY 614's were starting to show issues when the tire was loaded to within 400 pounds or so of it's rated capacity.
He recommended keeping the tires loaded to no more then 3300 pounds or so and run them at 110 psi cold, not using the inflation chart.

That info goes along I suppose with very few Big Horn class trialers having issues and the Landmarks with an average of 2K more wight showing some concern.

porthole

Retired
Tredit Tire and Wheel sets the pressure at 110 PSI for load range G tires they supply to Heartland. It's always possible they set it wrong.

If the supplier is airing up hundreds of tires a day, storing, then shipping, stored at the manufacturer etc, I can see how a tire inflated with a compressor that is running all day, and being used to pump hot air into a tire that may be "close" to 110 could easly cool down to 80-90 psi.

It really is up to the dealer to make sure they are properly inflated before turning over to the customer.

And having worked in the new car service field for many years, I can tell youit is really up to the end user to do their own tire pressure check upon delivery.

My most recent vehicle, the F-350, was delivered to me with 35-40 psi in 5 of the 6 tires. The rears were supposed to have 60 and the fronts 75.
The 6th tire had zero and the bead was off when I checked it the next day.

4ever

I guess that I do have the correct tires on the rig. As mentioned earlier I had a frustrating week and then on the way home we had the blowout. Then after we are home I am reading the manual about the LT tires vs ST tires. At this time I am saying to myself I have the LT tires. Well do I look like the foul now. The LT I recalled seeing was the LT in the size on the tire LT235 / 86R16. The tires are the G614 RST. Anyway, I guess that's what I get for no taking the deep breath. Like I said the tire blowout was just the last thing to cap off my week. Oh well another incident in my life that proves I am human. That's my excuse & story and I am sticking to it.

Ted

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
4ever,
There is no ST tire on the market that even comes close to the strength and quality of the tire that blew out on your rig. GY G614 are extremely good tires.

With that in mind. I would never recommend a ST tire over a LT tire for a trailer. ALL ST tires are made with a much lower standard then LT tires.

4ever

UPDATE

Well finaly figured out what caused the blowout. Called Tredit Tire & Wheel as Jim had recomended. They requested that I go through Goodyear. I took the tire & wheel to the local Goodyear dealer and they found that the valve stem was lose. The lose valve stem caused the leak and the tire blowout. Called Tredit back gave the the information and they have opended up a warranty claim for me. Just finished sending them all the info and pics.

Ted

brianharrison

Glad you figured it out -and shared with the forum. Something for the rest of us to watch for as well.

Thanks!

Brian

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you may have to invest in a repeater antenna for your TST.
I have one for the reasons you have described.....lost signal from one wheel.

Peace
Dave

4ever

We check tire pressures all the time, check wheel lug torque and many other items on our rigs and tow vehicles. It just never occurred to me to check valve stems. I guess we just can never check everything. Impossible.

When I lost the signal a couple of times I decided I would order the repeater when we got home from our trip. Obviously, that was just a day late. I did call today an ordered the repeater so I will have it before my next trip. In fact, I will not even go down my driveway without it.

tireman9

4ever,
There is no ST tire on the market that even comes close to the strength and quality of the tire that blew out on your rig. GY G614 are extremely good tires.

With that in mind. I would never recommend a ST tire over a LT tire for a trailer. ALL ST tires are made with a much lower standard then LT tires.

Have to wonder where you found the data to support your claims on tire quality.
You do realize the Industry Standards and Regulatory requirements for ST are different than for LT type tires.

tireman9

Some general observations on some comments in this thread. In no particular order:

OP picture looks a bit like a Run Low Flex Failure with the sidewall worn from being in contact with the highway for many miles. Closer pictures would make analysis easier.

I have to wonder what type of tire is listed on the actual certification label (placard)

The placard would take priority over the owner's manual if there is disagreement as the placard is a Regulatory required document.

I know my "Owner's Manual" (different brand RV) was just full of incorrect information)

"The one solution that is still out to the jury is to switch to 17 1/2 inch wheels and tires. " The real solution is for RV manufacturers to select tires with a reasonable reserve load capacity and not the smallest, lowest cost tire that meets regulatory requirements. In some cases the only option is 17.5 dia tires for others it might be a switch from two axles to three and for others it might be to start paying attention to the weight of components and "bling" the mfg keeps adding to RVs.

RE: Dealer "prep" and training by the mfg. The incorrect and low tire inflation of new units shows a serious lack of interest in delivering properly set-up and safe RVs. I am afraid this is not limited to Heartland as this weekend I checked the inflation on a 4 week old RV (different mfg) and all four tires were 9 to 11.5 psi low vs a 50 psi spec.

"The tpms is also very handy for checking the tire pressure before heading out, just push a couple of buttons on the monitor and get a readout."
Yes, in my opinion RV mfg and dealers are doing a great disservice to their customers by not providing TPMS as these should on every RV sold.

Tires "are always covered when in storage or on long stays" I hope you use white covers.
Black covers can bake and pre-age your tires.

"Obviously, they only had 80 PSI from the factory to the paint shop and back to the factory and then to the dealer. I purchased the rig form a dealer in Elkahart so they really did not have a lot of miles on them at the 80 PSI."
Clearly the unit had no extra load at this time so I would be surprised if 80 psi was not sufficient for the actual load at the time.

"dealer checked and set the inflation" Why don't I see anyone stating what the placard spec for inflation is?

"Goodyear G614 failures so early on are very rare" Any tire can fail if it doesn't have sufficient air in it.

So we finally learn the Root Cause of the failure was in fact a Run Low Flex Failure due to an improperly installed valve.

Hope many learned a lesson here.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
You do realize the Industry Standards and Regulatory requirements for ST are different than for LT type tires.

You basically repeated what I said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

caissiel

And IMO ST tires are ok for unloaded trailers and a cash cow on RV trailers. And only in single axle application due to road debris failures on rear tandem axle location. The tread area has no protection from road debris picked up with front tire or TV tires.

I ran cheap LT tires on my unit overloaded for over 7 years while solving failing ST tires that failled all the time within 3 years. And they were good old US made GY.

LT tires have much more safety build in as they carry passengers and ST couldn't care what happens to it once on a unit. So some keep believing the propaganda.

No matter how long a post, it will never change my opinion on ST tires.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
most important save the tire, contact Goodyear Customer Service and file a claim with Goodyear. They will want the tire sent back to them which you can do through a Goodyear tire dealer. It does not cost you anything. I have had 2 blowouts (tread separations) on G614 causing damage to the 5er and filed claims with Goodyear both times. They paid to replace the tire and to repair the damage to my rig. It happens so just follow the proper procedures and you will come out alright. Sorry about the damage to your rig.

porthole

Retired
A couple of footnotes:

1. The picture of the failed tire in post #1 is a typical example of a "zipper rupture" common to all steel cased tires such as the G614.

http://www.ultraseal.com/pages/tbzipperruptures.html

The description of the failure in that link is exactly what I go to witness in Nashville a couple years ago.

Probably a 200 feet or so behind a semi on the bike (3 bikes, one with trailer).
When the tire let go it sounded like an explosives blast and we were hit with the concussion, along with avoiding all the debris and other vehicles.
I have always made it a point to pass trucks as quickly as possible on the bike.