Tire Blow out

bomohundro

I have Big Country 3490bh. I have had it for 3 years bought new left over 2008. I have put about 2,500 miles on tires. Heading home from Disney to NC. Just north of Jacksonville blew right front tire. Changed it and in another 200 miles blew the left front. Both sides of of camper are now damaged. They are Mission tires never heard of them. I am surprised the tires did not last longer. I cover them when not in use and I always check tire pressures before I leave. Is this normal and any suggestions for new tires. I don't want another day like this one again.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
bomohundro, sorry to hear of your tire problems. In a word, yes, Mission Tires have been problematic as have a few other brands made in China. There are many threads on this forum discussing tires and the problems related to them. Your best bet is to replace with a G rated Goodyear. The G614 has been the overall favorite replacement with Michelins LT series and a couple other US made "truck tires" were discussed. The G614 is designed for trailer usage. You will need to verify the capacity of your wheels but I believe your rig has the right wheel for the Goodyears. Do a search or just browse the Tire section of the forum. Lots of info there. Just so you know, no tire is 100% guaranteed not to blow but the Goodyears and Michelins have had far fewer problems reported than others.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear of your damage. Mission tires, from what I have heard, are the most problematic of all. Mostly known as "China Bombs". And now you know why.
You are surprised that they didn't last longer, and others that have had them would be suprised they lasted this long.
Time to buy new tires. Do a search on this forum for tires and you will find plenty of information.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

OK,,, keep the old tires,,, blown out and any part of it... take pictures and get estimates of repairs. Contact Tredit Tire, importer and supplier. Be the nicest you can be and ask for help with the repairs and replacement of the tires. It may take a little time, but might be worth it. I am not saying they will do anything,,,but it is worth the effort to ask.

Mine was only 3 months old and did a lot of damage... they paid.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

I am looking at XPS Rib or LTXMS2 both Michelin. Any suggestions?

I believe those are both load range E tires. Of the 2 the XPS rib is by far the more popular for trailer service. I would look at the Goodyear G614 which has a higher G load range rating...Don

TXBobcat

Fulltime
G614 tires are a good tire but I have still heard of them loosing tread after a couple of years.

I have run LT235/85R16E 120R B Michelin XPS Rib T/R. I have never had a problem with these tires. I also run Michelin's on my TV. Still have had no problems.

Each person has to determine which tire brand will serve them better. So far have faired well with Michelin. Never spoke with anyone that had a problem with Michelin on a normal basis. I was talking with another fulltimer at this campground yesterday and he switched his 5th wheel to Michelin 17.5 tires and is very happy. I may do the same thing in the near future. 17.5 tires have a larger load rating and I can get Michelin tires in that size. They are about the same diameter as my 16" tires. You might want to look into the larger tires and rims.

That is what I did. FWIW
BC

Sundance repeated blowouts.
We have owned our Sundance about 4 years and have had 4 FOUR! blowouts. 2 went at once (right rear took right fwd with it), then this trip blew right rear and then 200 miles later left rear... so both side panels are now out and we are fed up with blowouts. So now we have a total mishmash:
2 are Towmasters
1 comodore
1 Trailer...

great huh?
Obviously we have not paid enough attention to the origin of tires - all these are made in china...

Before we head out again we want to replace all four and get the best tires possible and get them at a good price. We are home now so can order. Any suggestions? Sounds like Michelins and Goodyears would be OK.
What do you think about the nitrogen option?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You are on the right track with the tires you mentioned. In your case I would go with the Michelins. Moist Goodyears spoken of on this forum are the G-614's. I doubt that the rims on your Sundance would support the pressure these tires could hold. Many have gone to the Michelin XPS Rib T/R with good luck.
Nitrogen in tires is, in my opinion, not worth the time or money to convert. Air has 78% nitrogen in it already.
JMHO

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Remember that the best tires in the world are only good if the axle alignment is correct on the trailers. I also had issues with blown tires until I had the axles checked for alignment. They were over 1/4" out of alignment, which is within Lippert specs, but just enough to cause undue wear on the inside of the tires. I had Reico Titan Correct Track installed on the BC and haven't had any problems since. Each spring now I have the coach check for alignment, adjust if needed, and rotate/balance the tires before camping season starts. The coach now pulls straighter. For more information, check out the website at www.reicotitan.com.

Last edited:

ultrafarmer

I just ordered Maxxis tires because of the price and the people on here have had no trouble with them. About 150 bucks. My size is 235/ 80r 16 E.

lwmcguir

Alignment, weight distribution, and balance are all important. We use Dyna Beads in the heavier trucks and in the trailer tires. Some of the trailer tires may not be taken off for years and the balance has been maintained even when we get mud on the wheels. Keep an extra bag around in case the tire man don't catch the beads when we occasionally have a flat. Just installed 17.5 G114's on the Augusta and used Dyna Beads. Plan on leaving those tires on for at least 5 years. Going a longer trip next week to check it out. Certainly seems fine on the local rough roads. Any time a tire is wearing uneven like the poster above noted the tire is more likely to blow.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had uneven tread wear, caught it before a blowout. I contacted Tredit, but they referred me to TBC, the makers of our TowMax tire. TBC sent a replacement tire free. Cost me $12.50 to have it put on the spare rim and balanced.

When we decide to replace them all, we are leaning toward the Michelin XPS Ribs.

Our rims are only rated for 80 psi, so the Goodyear G614s that are 100psi rated won't work.