Tire flex on u turn

jgbagwell

I have a 2017 Bighorn 3760EL. It has less than 700 miles. It has:
• Correct Track alignment system
• Sailun ST235/85/R16, G-rated, 14 ply rated
• Aluminum rims
• E-Z Flex™ suspension system by Dexter with quad shocks
• 7,000 lb. Dexter axles with Easy-Lube™ hubs
Here are photos of different angles when I was making a simple u turn. Probably got the truck to be 80 degrees.
Sailun U Turn Bighorn 3760EL.jpgSailun U Turn.jpg
I have set of G114 in the shop that I'll put on next year. I'll see how those do.

jbeletti

That looks pretty normal if you were still "in the turn". After you "unloaded" the tires/suspension, did things straighten back up?

The Sailun tires are good ones. Don't give them away. Keep them as spares or sell them.

jgbagwell

Correct Track stays straight. Re: Tire flex on u turn

The deflection went away once I straightened out. No issues after. Just amazed at the amount of flex in the suspension.
I'll hang on to the Sailun's till next winter. Longer if I feel good about them. My G114's are at 20 psi and wrapped up in storage.

SNOKING

Looks normal on high traction surfaces. Wet the surface or spread a little sand if you have to do that a lot. It will allow the tires to slide on the pavement. Chris

Jim.Allison

I have noticed that my G114 do that less frequently than my previous OEM ST tires that only lasted 1800 miles.

Seriously, you can see why you need your lugs to be tightened properly. That is a lot of force that is being put on the wheel too. Without the proper clamping force being applied, you could very easily break a wheel.

alwaysbusy

The higher the coefficient of friction and turning degree, the greater force applied to the tires. The result is side slipping; your pics aren't bad at all and is common. Triple axle coaches are even worse; the front or rear axle side slipping is even more evident. If tight turns are done enough (like practicing for a cdl test where your repeating tight maneuvers) the tires will begin to show outer/inner edge wear. Your good, and no matter the tire, roll under will be seen to some extent in these conditions.

SNOKING

Can this damage the axles?

[FONT=&quot]Question: What is a Repetitive Stress Disorder? This term gets used a lot, but what does it really mean?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Answer: A repetitive stress disorder is an injury to a part of the body that is caused by overusing or exerting to much stress on that body part.

Fill in tires, wheels, axles, springs, and frame.[/FONT]

alwaysbusy

A certain percentage of the force applied to the wheel assembly is transferred to the axle. I have seen axles snap and break during a tight maneuver without any damage occurring to the tire or wheel. Usually the axle snaps right behind the assembly. However, I have only seen this when a trailer is under loaded weight which is understandable. The age of the axle has much to do with it also as over time they rust and become weak.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks like what I've seen when we pulled a u-turn with our previous trailer around the cul-de-sac at the end of our street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Question: What is a Repetitive Stress Disorder? This term gets used a lot, but what does it really mean?
Answer: A repetitive stress disorder is an injury to a part of the body that is caused by overusing or exerting to much stress on that body part.

Fill in tires, wheels, axles, springs, and frame.

I'm wondering if this could have been (or part of) the cause of our rear axle loosing it's camber (ie.- flat) in under 5000 miles.

I do have to make a tight turn to the left when parking the Prowler next to our garage and when I pull it out, not to mention a slanted curb (same as what is at our driveway).

2BWIRED

The axle and springs take a lot of the abuse. It is hard on the mounting hardware as well. Not to mention the tires wear on the outsides. I'll have to try the sand trick for tight quarters.

jgbagwell

200 miles later Re: Tire flex on u turn

I took the trailer out 200 miles to a campground. All is fine. No issues. Suspension and axles performed well as to be expected. All is well.
The deflection is most likely due to the LCI CorrectTrac hangers.