Tire help!

schew

Hi everyone,.
Just dropped my 2017 Torque tq31 at Les Shwab Tires to replace the oem Rainer st 10 ply that came with the trailer for Geostar 14 ply.
When we inspected the rim we discovered that it is only good for 80psi, not 120psi which is the max psi for the Geostars.
The technician said we could simply run the Geostars at 80psi, and it will be fine as they are a stiff tire and overkill for my 38' toyhauler.
Everything I have read about ST tires stated you should run them at their maximum psi. Underflating a tire will produce uneven treadwear and increase running temps as well as reduce the load capacity of the tire.

What you all your thoughts?

danemayer

You may have the same load capacity at 80 psi on the new tires, but you won't get the additional load margin because you can't exceed the 80 psi limit on the rims. Also, the next person to add air won't know that the rims are limited to 80 psi, and they could get injured by inflating the tires per the max pressure shown on the sidewall.

Get new rims.

mlpeloquin

To properly know if you are safe, you need the tire load inflation chart. A lot of China made tire do not have the charts. If you over inflate, you will wear the tires down in the center and bounce. This can put a loot of stress on the suspension let alone make everything on the trailer fly around. You need to cover the weight on the axles and add five psi. They should be compatible with any other trailer tire with the same rating. If a tire load inflation chart is not provided by the manufacture, you could use another manufacture's chart so long as it has the same specs. Once you have that information, you will know just how much weight the tires can support safely with 80psi.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Cancel the order for the Geostar's (not sure how good they are) and have them get you some Maxxis 8008's.

I've also been hearing good things about the new Goodyear Endurance tires (don't confuse them with the junk Goodyear Marathon's).

schew

You may have the same load capacity at 80 psi on the new tires, but you won't get the additional load margin because you can't exceed the 80 psi limit on the rims. Also, the next person to add air won't know that the rims are limited to 80 psi, and they could get injured by inflating the tires per the max pressure shown on the sidewall.

Get new rims.
you mirror my concerns....

- - - Updated - - -

Cancel the order for the Geostar's (not sure how good they are) and have them get you some Maxxis 8008's.

I've also been hearing good things about the new Goodyear Endurance tires (don't confuse them with the junk Goodyear Marathon's).

Maxxis M8008 tires have a great reputation. I replaced my oem tires with these on my first toyhauler. Unfortunately Les Shwab hs having a difficult time finding them along with the Sailuns, which were my first two choices. He also mentioned that the Maxxis M8008 may have been discontinued??

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't believe that the Maxxis tires are discontinued.

My guess is that they just don't carry them anymore.

They are still available at many other tire shops.

By the by . . . the Sailuns don't come in 15" if that is the size you have.

Gary521

Maxxis still shows that tire on their website. Find yourself a different tire guy and when you do, don't believe him either

schew

To properly know if you are safe, you need the tire load inflation chart. A lot of China made tire do not have the charts. If you over inflate, you will wear the tires down in the center and bounce. This can put a loot of stress on the suspension let alone make everything on the trailer fly around. You need to cover the weight on the axles and add five psi. They should be compatible with any other trailer tire with the same rating. If a tire load inflation chart is not provided by the manufacture, you could use another manufacture's chart so long as it has the same specs. Once you have that information, you will know just how much weight the tires can support safely with 80psi.

great advice, thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't believe that the Maxxis tires are discontinued.

My guess is that they just don't carry them anymore.

They are still available at many other tire shops.

By the by . . . the Sailuns don't come in 15" if that is the size you have.

the service tech said his distributors didnt have them in stock and a direct call to maxxis went unanswered.
Not sure where he saw they were discontinued..

My rims are 16" and Maxxis or Sailuns were my first choices...

hoefler

Look into upgrading to 17.5" wheels and tires. I did it for $5.00 more for the tire/wheel combo than replacing the 16" tires. Now I am good for 6,005 pounds per wheel and tire. Way over kill, but I do not expect any issues. I have been running 2 years and have been very impressed.

schew

Maxxis still shows that tire on their website. Find yourself a different tire guy and when you do, don't believe him either

I might have missed your point unless I'm understanding your poor attempt at sarcasm???

dbbls59

80 psi might not meet your needs for capicity. They would also be under inflated causing wear on the outside edges of the tire. Your tire salesman just wanted to make a sale. He didn't have your best interest at heart.

SNOKING

The all steel ply Geostars are good tires. Just make sure they are the all steel ply ones. Chris