Tire pressure and comments on Goodyear G614's

ArkSlim

Just bought a set of 614's for my 3410 Bighorn (1200# weighed at Livingston) Does anyone have a similar set up and if so what tire pressure are you using . 2nd experience of anyone using these tires. Will be back on the road Saturday hoping for better luck than last Sat. (2 blowouts):confused:

brianharrison

I am around 12,000 lbs on my axles, have the G614s and run 110 psi cold.

My experience has been good - I have a TST system which measures pressure and temperature (indirectly). Running cold to hot, tire pressure goes to 118 to 120.

Hope this helps.

Brian

PS - Check your rims before you go to higher than 80#s to make sure they are rated to the higher pressure - I am unfamiliar with your unit and if it came with the higher pressure rims. Check with HL customer service and have your VIN ready.

jnbhobe

A lot of us on the forum are running G614's we run them at 110# they are the best choise out there as far as I'm concerned.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Did you rig weigh in @ 12,000 lbs?...if so to be safe use 110 psi. So you had blowout's with the OEM tires?

hillsonwheels

In June of '08 I forced my dealer to put Goodyear's on our Big Horn before I'd take it. It had Missions on it at time of PDI. I walked on the deal. They gave in and installed the Goodyears which I have faithfully kept aired up to 110 psi.

Fast forward to March of '12. On our way to GA rally we had a tread roll off the front ODS tire. Caused about $2500 in damage. :mad: Carcass held pressure so no TPS alarm! Managed to get Good Sam's to change the tire and made it to a dealership, Ne-Ro's, in Valdosta, GA. Bought four new Goodyears there. They had 'em in stock and were very nice folks to deal with.....even started a claim with Goodyear for me as part of the deal. :cool:

There might've been 25K miles on the old tires. All looked great with no significant tread wear. I, evidently, was pushing the envelope with them.

The Rauches lost a China Bomb, about a year old, on their way to same rally. And, found another about to let go in the same manner. They replaced all four of theirs as well. HOW CAN WE EVER KNOW WHEN TO REPLACE THEM????:confused::confused:??????

This, mostly, is to let you folks know that Goodyear has stepped up to the plate and has not only covered my insurance claim deductibile but the cost of a new tire as well.

Glory be!!!!!!!!! I did not manage to stop that line! :cool:

Dick

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We originally had Winstar (Chinese made) tires on the Landmark when new. After two blowouts each with significant damage ($4800) I replaced them for Goodyear G614. I have a Doran Tire Pressure Monitoring System and keep the tire pressure at 110 psi. I check them regularly. After having the Goodyears for 3 years I had a blowout on one of the Goodyear G614. I filed a claim with Goodyear and they replaced the tire and paid for the $4300 damage. I was told by my tire dealer it is wisest to replace your tires at 3 years regardless of how good they look. He showed me on how the tire had a bruise on it probably from potholes on the roads. He told us that once a tire gets bruised it will continue to deteriorate until it fails. By replacing them at the 3 year mark you can prevent the failures. That is what we intend on doing in the future. The tires are 1 and a half years old now. All tires can fail but the Winstars failed at 2500 miles and were also G rated tires. The only thing the tire company did was give me $30 a tire (wholesale value) and did not pay for the damage to the rig. At least GoodYear stood behind their product. Go GoodYear!

Wharton

We have used GY 614 and their predecessor's for 12 years and never a blow out. Use 100 lb pressure. We replace our tires 5-6 years after the mfg. date which is on the tire. When replacing tires verify the mfg date before accepting the tires. The date shouldn't be more than 6 months old, if so, reject them. It isn't how the tires look, or how long they have been on the rig. It is 5-6 years from their mfg. date. Period.

traveler44

Hope you have as good luck with your G614s as we have had. We have had ours for 2 years now and probably have 5-6 thousand miles on them. I carry an inferred thermometer and shoot the tires and hubs and the G614s actually run cooler than the original tires and at sometimes a few miles higher speed. I would like to have the tire monitors installed to keep an eye on the condition of the tires while going down the road. They are really high on my list.

PUG

Pug
I JUST EMAILED MICHELIN ABOUT TIRES FOR RV FIFTH WHEELS. HERE IS THEIR REPLY.

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a RVer pulling a 38 ft 18,000 lb fifth wheel. I have pulled various fifth wheels and am a retired long haul driver. I have Mich's on my truck and would like to have them on my fifth wheel. I belong to four different RV forums and read about other folks opinions and experiences with the factory cheap tires and what they replace these with. I want to use Mich's but you do not seem to have a compatible tire that fits OUR needs. The Mich's in the size we need does not have the carrying capacity. It seems Goodyear 614s are the best for weight and reliability for the size we need. Many people like me wish Mich had a comparable tire and would prefer Mich. You are loosing a lot of business by not offering what we need. The Goodyear g-614s are your competition in the 16 inch tire. Please let me know if you have either come out with or are planning on coming out with a comparable. Thank you for your consideration.

If your fifth wheel trailer has ST rated tires, we do not currently offer ST tires. However, your request will be forward to the appropriate group in our Marketing Department for future consideration.
ST (Special Trailer) tires are constructed with heavier materials in the casing as compared to passenger or light truck rated tires giving the ST tires more strength and load carrying capacity. ST tires also have a stiffer sidewall and flex less making them more compatible with the trailer’s suspension system.
We do not recommend using passenger tires on trailers that specify ST tires. If the trailer manufacturer calls for ST tires, it is important to replace with ST tires in order to maintain the load requirement.

donr827

I have our G614 tires at 100 pounds which gives each tire a capacity of around 3,500 pounds. A Goodyear area manager and their web site says to inflate the tires per inflation chart.
Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have our G614 tires at 100 pounds which gives each tire a capacity of around 3,500 pounds. A Goodyear area manager and their web site says to inflate the tires per inflation chart.
Don

Don't mean to start an argument but just saying ... at a seminar given by a retired GoodYear tire engineer advised to run them at max pressure 110 psi because you do not go around weighing your rig and most rvers will be at or over their max weight. I guess if you are positive about your weight then go by the inflation chart but the big question is are you positive about your weight?

lwmcguir

Don't mean to start an argument but just saying ... at a seminar given by a retired GoodYear tire engineer advised to run them at max pressure 110 psi because you do not go around weighing your rig and most rvers will be at or over their max weight. I guess if you are positive about your weight then go by the inflation chart but the big question is are you positive about your weight?
I second what Jim says. Unless you have weighed each tire independently, run the rated pressure and be safe as possible.

Sandpirate69

I JUST EMAILED MICHELIN ABOUT TIRES FOR RV FIFTH WHEELS. HERE IS THEIR REPLY.

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
I am a RVer pulling a 38 ft 18,000 lb fifth wheel. I have pulled various fifth wheels and am a retired long haul driver. I have Mich's on my truck and would like to have them on my fifth wheel. I belong to four different RV forums and read about other folks opinions and experiences with the factory cheap tires and what they replace these with. I want to use Mich's but you do not seem to have a compatible tire that fits OUR needs. The Mich's in the size we need does not have the carrying capacity. It seems Goodyear 614s are the best for weight and reliability for the size we need. Many people like me wish Mich had a comparable tire and would prefer Mich. You are loosing a lot of business by not offering what we need. The Goodyear g-614s are your competition in the 16 inch tire. Please let me know if you have either come out with or are planning on coming out with a comparable. Thank you for your consideration.

If your fifth wheel trailer has ST rated tires, we do not currently offer ST tires. However, your request will be forward to the appropriate group in our Marketing Department for future consideration.
ST (Special Trailer) tires are constructed with heavier materials in the casing as compared to passenger or light truck rated tires giving the ST tires more strength and load carrying capacity. ST tires also have a stiffer sidewall and flex less making them more compatible with the trailer’s suspension system.
We do not recommend using passenger tires on trailers that specify ST tires. If the trailer manufacturer calls for ST tires, it is important to replace with ST tires in order to maintain the load requirement.

Please post the response from Michelin when you get one. Maybe they will get into the 16" RV tire. They do carry 17.5" tires. Which I may be looking at moving up to. Only because of the several manufactures that make tires for 17.5" rims & they hold 110lbs of air pressure.

Thanks,
Ivan

ccupton

I'm running G614's with Alcoa rims. I have also added TPMS to them. I have a brand new set of Towmax tires and rims to sell. Took them off the first month we had our rig..

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Scottyb, some OEM rims can handle the pressure. You have to look at the backside of your rims for a small stamp that has the MAX PSI.

On a Cyclone, they are probably 80 psi max, and thus you would need to change rims to go to G614s.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Is everybody using G614s changing rims, or are the OEM rims capable of running at 110 psi?
Scotty, you'll need to check the inside of your wheeels for a capacity stamp. Most of us (Bighorn & Landmark) were able to use our existing wheels. If your current tires are E rated, you might be OK but still check the inside of the wheel either on the hub surface or the back of a spoke..

DougS

Doug S
If you install the G614's make sure you have metal valve stems installed. Had a valve stem go on me last week, the tire monitor system picked the low presure right up so I was able to save the tire. The monitoring system paid for itself right there.
I also run 110 lbs. pressure on tires.