Tire pressure monitor systems??

Bksvo

I installed the TST 507. But am encountering a problem. The tires on my truck (GMC 2500) run at 50 psi. I can't seem to program the receiver/monitor for any level below 70 or 71 psi. So constant alarm; not much use. The trailer tires run @ 80 psi, so no problem there. What am I missing? Their instruction page is pretty useless.

I don't have the instruction handy, but my front tires run at 65, so I know it will go lower. If I remember correctly, you need to make sure the alarm is set lower than the operating pressure before you can set the operating pressure. Check the directions and trouble shooting guide. There is a way.

Manzan

I have the 507 setup and my trailer tires are at 50#. Alarm set at 45#. Directions are in the trailer so not right at hand so can be done easily.

donr827

If you give them a call they will walk you through the process step by step. Good people to work with.
Don

TXTiger

Well I got my TST 507 system with the flow thru sensors. I have a Cyclone 4014 which is a little more than 42 feet long and 3 axels and was advised by TST to also get the optional repeater to be installed in the rig. The system arrived but the repeater is back ordered. I installed the system, absent the repeater, and drove from Omaha. NE to Sheboygen WI yesterday. The system worked pretty good. The rear axel tires on both sides took turns intermittently not displaying for a few min but then came back on. I guess the repeater will stop this loss of signal. I only got the 6 sensors so the tow vehicle is not displayed. I set all 6 sensors to 80 PSI.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
TST just recently came out with the sensor installed in the tire. They seem to be a bit pricy but they may be better. The 507 system with replaceable batteries in the sensors is also fairly new to their line. It's a good idea to install metal valve stems. The rubber valve stem is a weak link especially when you are running 80 PSI and greater. As a matter of fact I believe at some point you have to use metal valve stems because the rubber ones are not rated above a certain pressure but I don't know what the cut off it. I will be running at 50 PSI on our rig but when we had our motor home we ran with metal stems. If you're running dual tires you usually run a long stem so you can air up the inner tire. I tried the long rubber hose for my inner duel on the MH and after a few miles of that hose slinging itself around I had a leak. Lesson learned.

TeJay

Newbie question here: how does one replace the rubber valve stem to metal?

I typically like to go with the basics, but not when it comes to safety!

Another question, I believe our truck has tire pressure monitoring built in. So I really only need a TPMS for the trailer. Is there a good brand that will let me buy four as opposed to the 10-12 you guys are talking about?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm pretty sure you can get the TST with four sensors. I'm surprised your Big Country doesn't have metal valve stems already, but if they are rubber, you'll have to get a tire shop to replace them. The tires have to be removed to replace the stems.

jnbhobe

Take the rig to a good tire shop and have them changed, at least one side of the tire has to be broken down. Call TST they will sell you as many sensors as you want. I run both on my truck.

jnbhobe

To complicate things, some of the rubber valve stems are actually metal covered with rubber. If I knew how to tell, I'd add that info. Maybe someone else can.

Best way to tell is if you can move the stem around its rubber. Steel stems have a rubber washer on each side of the wheel and they are bolted to the wheel.

Sandpirate69

In order to lower the low pressure alarm, you have to lower the high pressure #. Your low & high tire pressure should be somewhere in between 15-20%. In other words if your high preesure alarm is set a 70lbs your low pressure alarm at 15% less should be set at 59.5lbs. I hope this helps. I called TST when I got mine and had the same issue.