Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Bogie

I have no doubt that this will start a "discussion" by those who own them defending their purchase but this is MHO and we may get some real numbers on purchaser/incident.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that purchase/incident numbers alone should be the reason to buy or not.

I personally value the ability to have some form of instrumentation so that I can at least have an idea of what's going on back there. It may save me, it may not. But at least I have a chance with some knowledge. Last May, we were returning from a trip and had just come down a very steep long grade. At the bottom there was a stop light. When I stopped, I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the left rear tire. Definitely a burning brake. I was concerned I may have a stuck brake, so I pulled over. Everything seemed, fine, but I didn't know for sure. The TPMS showed an increase in temperature of about 8 degrees on that tire. Back on the road I used the TPMS to monitor the temperature the rest of the way home. If it had continued to rise, I would have had stop and seek a remedy. Thankfully it didn't.

I like to think of it like the instrument panel on you vehicle. You don't need them very often, but your sure glad you have them when the engine temperature starts to rise or the oil pressure starts to drop.

Lynn1130

I was not suggesting that purchase/incident numbers are or are not a reason to buy but rather a true reading of whether the purchase was anything more than "peace of mind" in the end.

I think one should buy a unit if they think it will help them feel better ( I do this with a lot of toys) but without some numbers of "saves" against units purchased and miles used we are in the dark, so to speak.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

1 save for me.
I finally installed ours in March, and 4 months later it save me a hole bunch of time and money.
Tire & body damage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk