Tire Pressure

mesteve

It'll go up as the tires warm up, then go down as they cool off. When you get up the next morning in your 30 degeree weather, it will be a couple of pounds lower than when you filled up at 65 degerees. If you're concerned, top it back up to 110.

Stop thinking about this. Get up in the morning, inflate to max sidewall pressure and drive. Repeat next day.

So get a good gauge and a air compressor and check it often. Good advice. Thanks

I agree, the first thing I was told by an old-timer when I pulled into the first campground was exactly what branson said. Made it on 2 >1000 miled trips on the china bombs. But I am done gambling on those tires and shopping for replacements.

Jim-n-Leslie

Every tire forum and manufacturer says fill cold tires to the max listed pressure. The number one cause of tire failures is under-pressurized tires.
Jim

boatdoc

Put 80 or 110 in them, get a TPMS system and be done with it. Why does tire pressure come up so often? Zheez!!!!!

lwmcguir

I agree, if the tire manufactures wanted you to mess around with the pressure they would post all that info on the tire. Who is going to change the pressure when you change the loading? Surely as you said we have answered this one enough.

TedS

Fill to cold temperature rating. Don't fret much if you have to add air at a warm temperature. Too low a pressure will allow too much sidewall flex and add heat to the tire. Better to keep the pressure high than low.

A 30-deg F rise in temp(70 to 100) will change the pressure about 7psi. Or 70F to 40F, a drop in pressure of about 7psi.

If you see a tire low when you stop to fill up and are concerned what pressure to pump to, check the opposite tire for pressure and pump the low one up to that pressure.

Altitude change doesn't mean much. Denver at 1 mile is about 2.5 psi lower than pressure at sea level. That just means the air compressor has to work a little longer to pump to 110psi since it is sucking in less-dense air. So if you air up at sea level and drive to Denver and your tires get to 100F, the tire pressure will still be 4.5psi higher than when you filled up.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
The more I read about this tire pressure issue, the more I see many confused readers. My main concern is the type tires being put on these 5ers. I just bought a 2011 BidHorn and I have SAILUN S637 tires made in CHINA LT 235/85/R16 G... When I tried to check them out on line there was little there. The price is $168.90 per tire. I am very concerned with these. Especially after hearing all the horor stories. I understand the G rating indicates they are 14 ply. Has anyone else had or have these tire on their rig? I will be talking to my dealer about this tomorrow..

Larry Keever
Oklahoma City

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The more I read about this tire pressure issue, the more I see many confused readers. My main concern is the type tires being put on these 5ers. I just bought a 2011 BidHorn and I have SAILUN S637 tires made in CHINA LT 235/85/R16 G... When I tried to check them out on line there was little there. The price is $168.90 per tire. I am very concerned with these. Especially after hearing all the horor stories. I understand the G rating indicates they are 14 ply. Has anyone else had or have these tire on their rig? I will be talking to my dealer about this tomorrow..

Larry Keever
Oklahoma City

I can tell you this...When we bought our Landmark we had 235.85.R16 G rated Winland (Chinese made) tire on it. In the first 2500 miles we had two blowouts causing $4600 and $4500 damages. Both were on the driver side. First the front one then the back one. We contacted the tire distributor in Houston, Tex and he paid us what the tires cost $68 ($34 per tire) and would not pay for the damage. The tires were not overloaded and were properly inflated. We replaced the tires with GoodYear 235.85.R16 G rated tires. We have had them for 3 years and had a one blowout on the passenger front side back in November. I filed a claim with GoodYear and then reimbursed me for the damages and the cost of the new tire. I have since learned from the tire dealer that it is best to replace the tires every 3 years. So I did even though they still looked serviceable. I replaced them with GoodYear G614s as at least GoodYear stood behind their product. My advise is to replace those Chinese made tire ASAP and get some GoodYear G614s and plan on changing them out every 3 years. MHO

caissiel

If I remember well the Sailun Tires are actually truck tires that are for front use and trailer use and can be regrooved, just like the Freestars I have on our trailer.
From my research they are made by one of the most advanced and quality assured manufacturer in China and are common in Europe and just braking into the American market.
I have full trust in my Freestar and like the Idea that they are truck and trailer quality units and not only trailer use.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If I remember well the Sailun Tires are actually truck tires that are for front use and trailer use and can be regrooved, just like the Freestars I have on our trailer.
From my research they are made by one of the most advanced and quality assured manufacturer in China and are common in Europe and just braking into the American market.
I have full trust in my Freestar and like the Idea that they are truck and trailer quality units and not only trailer use.

Finally, somebody has something to say about a Chinese tire, and it's positive. They (Freestars) are what's on my rig and though we don't haul it around a lot, they're looking like new on both sides (of each tire) and seem to hold pressure very well. I filled them to 110 psi back in October when I put it in storage, and they were at 105 psi a few days ago when I checked them. I do keep them covered when the rig is parked during the summer or in storage.

lwmcguir

Finally, somebody has something to say about a Chinese tire, and it's positive. They (Freestars) are what's on my rig and though we don't haul it around a lot, they're looking like new on both sides (of each tire) and seem to hold pressure very well. I filled them to 110 psi back in October when I put it in storage, and they were at 105 psi a few days ago when I checked them. I do keep them covered when the rig is parked during the summer or in storage.

We have a set of these that came on a hydraulic dual tandem axle dump GN trailer. Had one repaired last fall and they are as heavier or heavier than any of the G rated tires we have. So far so good with them.