tire ratings

ntoport

I have had my 2012 3585 BH now for 1 year. Picked up a nail in the LR tire. Dealer fix it. While picking the trailer up....after hours.....a guy came up to me and ask me about my unit....he was picking his new unit up the next day.... It got around to tires and he asked me what my rating was. I told him it was a "G" rating. As we were talking he was looking at the tires and said, " you know that these tires a "E" rating. I was quite surprised since the brochure I was given when I was ordering this unit stated," Heavy-Duty E-Rated 16'Tires ( G-Rated on 3585,3670,3455,3610 )"
Now comes the question....my unit max weight is 15500 loaded and 12400 unloaded. The E tires load rating is maxed out at 13800lbs. So if I have pressure at 80 lbs and a full load...15500 lbs will I have a problem with the tires blowing or ? I feel if the brochure says "G" I should of got the "G". At this rate all I can is 1400 lbs.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have had my 2012 3585 BH now for 1 year. Picked up a nail in the LR tire. Dealer fix it. While picking the trailer up....after hours.....a guy came up to me and ask me about my unit....he was picking his new unit up the next day.... It got around to tires and he asked me what my rating was. I told him it was a "G" rating. As we were talking he was looking at the tires and said, " you know that these tires a "E" rating. I was quite surprised since the brochure I was given when I was ordering this unit stated," Heavy-Duty E-Rated 16'Tires ( G-Rated on 3585,3670,3455,3610 )"
Now comes the question....my unit max weight is 15500 loaded and 12400 unloaded. The E tires load rating is maxed out at 13800lbs. So if I have pressure at 80 lbs and a full load...15500 lbs will I have a problem with the tires blowing or ? I feel if the brochure says "G" I should of got the "G". At this rate all I can is 1400 lbs.

Probably 3,000 lbs, or more, of your total weight will be on the pin, not the axles. That said, it still doesn't seem right to put E-rated tires on a rig that heavy.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Go to post #13 of the linked thread to start in about tires and follow the link that shows up a bit later taking it to Ask The Factory, and their response.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...en-Landmark-and-Bighorn/page2?highlight=tires

GOTTOYS

Of your 15,500# you should have around 3,000# of tongue weight leaving 12,500# to be shared by your tires. This will give you a margin of 1300# in reserve. In reality your rig will probably weigh more like 14,000# fully loaded. Now the real question: Will you have a problem with the tires blowing out? In my opinion the answer is "Yes", but not for the reasons you mentioned. If you rig comes with the standard Chinese made delivery and display tires...you will find they don't have a very good track record for reliability. They were the first thing I got rid of when I bought my trailer new..But don't just take my word on it. Look around this and other RV related websites and make your own decision...Don

TireHobby

You can verify the OE tires by comparing them to the information on the trailer’s certification label/tire placard. That information requires matching items at the time of first sale.

The common ST tire found on 7000# axles is the ST235/80R16E rated at 3520# at 80 psi. Legal by DOT standards. None of them will last very long especially when the GAW is close to GAWR. Owners will blame the tire.

TireHobby

On edit: A second thought; One of the tire experts posting on another forum made a notation about the ST tires on 7000# axles. Because ST235/80R16E tires are manufactured with load capacities from 3420# to 3520# the vehicle manufacturer must provide the DOT with a letter with the specific load capacity of tires used on 7000# axles.