Tire Temperature

iawoody2

Maybe this has been asked before and I missed it. Just what are acceptable temperatures? I have a infrared temperature gun and shoot the side walls when pulling into rest areas. Last Sunday on our way home after traveling about 120 miles at 65, bright sun and 90 ouside all of the tires, both 5er and truck, read 135 to 137 on the sunny side, and 124 to 126 on the shaded side. All are inflated to the load capacity on sidewall, 80 psi at 70 degrees.
So I guess my question is when is hot too hot.

dbbls59

I would think it is more important to check if one tire is considerably higher than the others rather than the actual temperatures.

iawoody2

Yes that's exactly why I check them to see if one is much higher. But I still was wondering at what temperature do I get worried about.

Jim.Allison

My TPMS system defaults to 158 degrees. They run about 125 on 100 degrees days. So 158 does not sound unreasonable, But relative temperature is the most important and radical increases decreases in pressure is what is being monitored I think. The high temp being the reason for the high pressure.

danemayer

Roger Marble's Tire Safety Blog says in one technical analysis of a blowout that fibers are fused at around 400 F. He also says that the fibers lose 50% of their strength at 300 F. The higher the temp, the more the tire's internal structure is degraded.

I think most TPMS manufacturers suggest that initial alarms should go off around 155-160 F and serious alarms at 180-185 F. The problem is that the sensors are not measuring the temp of the internal structure where fiber damage occurs. So I think we have to assume that 185 F at the sensor is very close to the point where internal fibers are fusing.

All that to say that when my TST sensors show 135 F, that's hot enough for me.

Jim.Allison

I thin I said my TPMS defaulted at 158 not 185. But 158 at the TPMS still is not the temp at the location that you are talking about. I have read teh same material that you quoted, I wonder what that temp is when the TPMS reads 125 or 135 or 158?

brianharrison

Side wall or tread material temperature measured with an infrared gun will never equate to a TPMS (screw on to valve stem) reading; it will always be higher. Internal TPMS temperatures (mounted inside rim) may be closer but I have not done any comparisons, as I do not have an internal TPMS with temperature measurement.

Brian

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Maybe this has been asked before and I missed it. Just what are acceptable temperatures? I have a infrared temperature gun and shoot the side walls when pulling into rest areas. Last Sunday on our way home after traveling about 120 miles at 65, bright sun and 90 ouside all of the tires, both 5er and truck, read 135 to 137 on the sunny side, and 124 to 126 on the shaded side. All are inflated to the load capacity on sidewall, 80 psi at 70 degrees.
Mentioning the infrared gun I was wondering if it could "see" through the holes in the rim enough to assess hub temperatures. It might be helpful in detecting a bearing or brake issue.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My laser IR gun can read the hubs through the wheel openings. Where the laser hits is where the reading is taken.

Crumgater

I've never seen more trailers with blown tires than on I-10 east of Phoenix where the speed limit is >70mph and when the temperature was >110F... it was at least one a day for the week I was down there this year.

Temperature matters!

Our TPMS is flaky, so I couldn't tell you what our tires run. I think we need a signal booster.

Our IR temp gun shows a "max" temp, so you can move the laser dot around and then just see what the max temp recording was for that pass.

whp4262

I just came back from a 3800 mile trip from Fort Worth through Phonix - San Diego - Prescott, AZ and back to Fort Worth. Running a TST-507RV monitoring system and starting out with 80 psi in the trailer tires the higest pressure was 95 psi and the highest temperature was 116 degrees. Tires are Taskmaster Provider ST235/80R-16 tires from Discount Tires Direct.

dave10a

Your temperature and pressure are normal. The temperature is considered normal at 50deg F above ambient and of course the sun directly on the tires will elevate them about 10-15 degrees higher. The pressure is followings the temperature. My infared gun shows temperatures that are consistant with my Valor TPMS system. I keep track of the hub temperatures with the infrared gun to make sure the bearings are running properly. Also TPMS temperature sensors that are mounted inside the tire are more accurate than stem mounted. I would not trust the stem mounted temperature sensors and the infrared gun is the way to go in that situation.