TIRES and SAFETY

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
As Club Manager, I talk and email with many people. These days the biggest issue/concern is tire failure and the concern is safety: both of the RVer and others in their vicinity when the tire(s) fail.

I do understand that there are many variables that contribute to tire failure and that some of those variables are subjective. I do feel tho' that there are RVers who air their tires properly, are not over-weight, do not drive over 65 MPH and do not drive over curbs or otherwise abuse their tires who are experiencing tire failure.

I would like to see Heartland install a higher rated tire (and the proper rim) on all products, as appropriate, and the price, necessarily, must reflect this. Surely, the consumer would pay for safety????

In any case, Heartland would be demonstrating a commitment to the safety of their product owners by anticipating that some owners are not as knowledgeable as to appropriate tire usage/maintenance/care as others. JMHO

swburbguy

I agree with what you said. Last summer in my travels I was passed several times by delivery people flying by me, I was doing 62 mph.

iawoody2

Julie,
Well stated, I hope Heartland takes note. We changed our tires last fall, I would have gladly paid more for our 5er and avoided the time to change over. Just my opinion.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
As Club Manager, I talk and email with many people. These days the biggest issue/concern is tire failure and the concern is safety: both of the RVer and others in their vicinity when the tire(s) fail.

I do understand that there are many variables that contribute to tire failure and that some of those variables are subjective. I do feel tho' that there are RVers who air their tires properly, are not over-weight, do not drive over 65 MPH and do not drive over curbs or otherwise abuse their tires who are experiencing tire failure.

I would like to see Heartland install a higher rated tire (and the proper rim) on all products, as appropriate, and the price, necessarily, must reflect this. Surely, the consumer would pay for safety????

In any case, Heartland would be demonstrating a commitment to the safety of their product owners by anticipating that some owners are not as knowledgeable as to appropriate tire usage/maintenance/care as others. JMHO

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Majestic

I agree with you Julie.

Safety must be first, when we were replacing our unit this winter, first thing we looking at was for a 12" frame, 2nd was 8k axles with disc brakes and good wheels.

After finding this we started looking at floor plans and options. The problem is that not everyone can afford this logic, and therefore it could affect Heartlands bottom line.

We had an insurance write off last fall on a new unit and when we saw how it was built, we knew what to look for on the next unit.
Gary

wrgrs50s

Agree !!!! I think all of us that are knowledgeable of the present tire failures would gladly pay a little more at the purchase to have a reputable tire like Maxxis on the lower end rigs or Goodyears on the higher end rigs. Those that purchase a new Heartland, but are not aware of the tire issues would even have more pride that they bought a Heartland product when they become aware that Heartland took a stance on this issue.
Like the saying goes " Just do it "

priorguy

I've never heard Nanco tires mentioned on this forum but they have the same reputation on other forums as the Towmax have here. See some posts about Towmax STR which are supposed to be "new and improved". Anyone have experience yet?

When production incorporates an inferior product that may directly or indirectly be a contributing factor causing injury or worse to their customer, something needs to change immediately! Heartland Rv forum, Keystone Rv forum, Forest River....All have the very same concern; inferior tires, blow outs and on and on. I am sure there may be a certian amount of tire failures due to customer neglect, shame on that. The concern is the tire failure that has not been neglected by the consumer, there are far too many reports of this. I find it rather odd that the Rv industry continues to use a product that ultimately may cause serious injury to individuals. Being that all rv forums are basically public information, these forums offer a pretty detailed account of tire mishaps ****. My thought is offer a better tire that comes standard, saves customer from changing out brand new inferior tires. As it is now customers are essentially being forced to pay for an additional set of tires knowing they are not going to chance tire failure with what is currently being installed. Good tires are piece of mind and cause less warranty work something no new rv owner should have to deal with; just my two cents. Heartland if you want to lead the way here is your chance, you always like to boost about being first, then do it, be first. There should be no need for anyone to have to upgrade tires when better tires should come on the unit standard. Let the other brands support the so called China Bomb, stand up Heartland, you call your customers family, would you let your family ride in a 5th wheel with the standard brand of tire currently being sold to customers, I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:

caissiel

But the manufactures of trailers use an approved ST trailer tire.
It's the tire industry that is at fault here. It needs to be fixed at that level. I have experienced failing ST tires on trailers for 22 years and nothing has changed since. It only got worst has we openly talk about it.
Replacement tires are still going to be used anyway. Lets get the ST tires fixed so this problem go away.
Tire experts better Listen and read what we are saying here.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Add another to the list of Heartland owners who has the same wish!

And another looking at replacing five basically brand new tires this spring . . . :confused:

davebennington

If the the specifications for a coach weighing 10,000 lbs calls for a ST tire that meets the 10,000 lb rating, why not upgrade the tire to the next rated tire size just to be safe. That way there is that extra margin of safety, that extra margin would/could give an owner as well as Heartland peace of mind in that they have the best that can be provided.
Further I believe that as many tires that Heartland as well as Thor purchase, they could demand a good tire for their customers at a reasonable price.

dave

Last edited by a moderator:

donr827

I wonder how many dealers tell a prospective buyer that you can not drive more then 65 mph with the ST tire, if you put too much weight in your trailer you can compromise your tires, and to check your tire pressure before driving or you might have a tire failure? The first trailer that I purchased many years ago never mentioned these items to me. Learned with experience. With that said, I now buy tires with a 15-20% safety factor.
Don

dbbls59

Thank you Julie for speaking out. All other Heartland representatives seem to defend Heartlands choice of these junk tires. Three of my Towmax tires failed within the first year. My previous SOB trailer had manufacture installed LT tires and I think Heartland should do the same.

tireman9

But the manufactures of trailers use an approved ST trailer tire.
It's the tire industry that is at fault here. It is the person at the RV Company that selects the tire and for too many times, they knowingly choose the lowest cost tires with what is probably also the lowest safety margin that meets Federal regulations.

It needs to be fixed at that level. I completely agree that the RV Company needs to do more than select the absolute minimum tire to squeak by the regulations.

I have experienced failing ST tires on trailers for 22 years and nothing has changed since. It only got worst has we openly talk about it.
Replacement tires are still going to be used anyway. Lets get the ST tires fixed so this problem go away. Lets also fix the problem of tire overload due to unbalanced TT design. And lets limit the max speed to be lower than the tire max. You probably operate your TV or car at not much more than 60% to 75% of the tire max speed rating but almost 100% of ST tires are operated at speed higher than their rating. WHile we are at it how would you suggest the tire companies manage to eliminate the overload that 57% of RVs place on their tires?

Tire experts better Listen and read what we are saying here.

I know I listen. That is why I write a blog just on RV Tire Safety. It is why I travel at my own expense to RE Rallys and Conventions to deliver educational Seminars and why I make an effort to provide accurate information on a number of different RV forums.

caissiel

I replaced failing ST tires that were rated for the axle rating with LT tires that were 20 % less capacity and over inflated them by 20% and traded the unit with them on at 7 years old.
That's my report from experience.
My truck had 6 year old LT tires loaded at 100% and no issues.

priorguy

Perhaps ST tires with their lower speed ratings should be left to low speed trailers hauling hay. Today's RVers are traveling on highways and interstates with HD trucks and the same horsepower and torque as the Peterbuilts and Kenworths hauling 53' vans. The speed rating of the trailer tire should match the tow vehicle that is setting the pace.

Plus the broker delivering the trailer from the factory to the dealer is paid the same no matter how fast or slow they get the job done. Do it faster get paid quicker deliver more units. Economics 101.

All it takes is one high speed run to ruin an ST tire and it could have been the initial run from Indiana to the dealer nearest you.

IMO the trucks and highways today are built for high speeds so the trailer tires should be too.

szewczyk_john

I do not doubt that the factory tires just plain suck. There are to many problems being reported for me not to believe that there is an issue. We own a two axel road warrior and I managed to get three seasons out of those tires. I realize that my trailer is not as heavy as the bigger units but I was always fearful of having an issue that I never had piece of mind. This spring I am upgrading to 17.5 and goodyears which is overkill for my unit but it is worth it for my piece of mind. Over those three years we thought about weight, religiously checked tire pressure, monitored with TPMS and visual observation at every stop. I plan on keeping these practices in play after my upgrade but at least it may not be on my mind overtime I look into my side view mirrors.

I would have paid for the upgrade at the time of purchase if I had that option. I did not order my unit but bought it new from a dealer's lot so that was not an option. Keep in mind if Heartland replaces the crap tires with goodyears and matching rims, they would have a hard time selling their units to price comparison shoppers. So I think that it should be an option that is available on every unit sold. I knew what unit I wanted and what options I wanted in it from seeing the line at an RV show. I then hit the web looking for the best price. Saved a whole lot of money on a great unit but even then we were just barely able to afford the unit. adding another 2000 or 3000 to the bill made have been a deal breaker for us. I bought the unit knowing of the issue rom my research and planed to make this upgrade as soon as I could afford it. That was supposed to be last spring but being married with two teenaged sons, other things were deemed more of a priority. Income tax refund is on its way and we have already agreed that we are making this upgrade in a few weeks.

JanAndBill

Thumbing through a magazine and noticed an ad for Maxxis ST tires. They were advertising a 235/80R16 with a 10 ply rating. Then I noticed the little note down in the small print. It has a 3 ply sidewall. I've read all the hype about softer ride, heat dissipation, etc., etc., but with that thin of sidewall, there's very little protection against the occasional curb or other hazard. Glad I changed mine out to G614's.