tires on the new Big Horns

Flyfish4m

Those '' other '' G rated tires are most likely Freestars, that is what's on my BC, I have struggled with whether or not to replace them with GY 614's, they will be replaced before April:D Good Luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Got a call back from my dealer yesterday, and apparently he asked the factory rep about the Goodyear tires. He told me the rep told him that the Goodyear tires are a G rated 12 Ply Regrooveable tire, no mention of model Marathon, or G614's not sure what to make of it.
Bobby A, They are G614's. The Marathons aren't available in LR G and are not re-groovable, the 614's are. Go for the upgrade!

Bobby A

Thanks Ray, you are right on time as we are making a deal NOW !!!!! So you are absolutely positive they are G614's ??

Thanks,
Bobby A

Last edited:

ct0218

The only tire that will fit your trailer that is G rated and regrooveable is the G614. It is still made here in the US. The Marathon is a C, D, or E, usually made in China or Mexico although some were made in Canada at one time.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We have the Mission Tires on our BH. Want to update after 11,000 miles for this summer's trip to G614's with steel stems as we already bought the pressure pros from Pat McFall. Should we update to 7,000 lb axles and why? Anyone know the best deal in socal for the tires and where would u suggest we update our axles? And why should we? Suggestions would be appreciated.

ct0218

I would say no to updating the axles unless you are having a problem. You can upgrade the tires and wheels w/o the axles as long as you keep you weight at or under the GVWR. The best thing to do is to weigh the rig as you normally tow it so you will know how close you are. Lippert/Heartland upgraded my axles to 8000 lb when I was in Elkhart. I had an axle problem, and they weren't sure what caused it. I wasn't that heavy, but I was close to 16K. I can tell it is stiffer but would not have gone to 8K out of my pocket. Personally, I would change the tires before the trip. Kind of like russian roulette with the Chinese tires. Many never have a problem, but many, like me, have. As for price, check local dealers and shop price. You will find quite a variance. I found a good price online, and a small tire dealer that would mount and balance. I know Jim B and a few others got an excellent price from Sears.

phranc

I'm one of those that had no problems... until I did.. well it finally came time to change out the tires and the Goodyear 614 made sense .. Although a little spendy..I will say the
BH rolls nice, a liitle easier

57chevyconvt

Power King Tires

I just took delivery of a new 2010 BH model 3410RE. During the order selection process I inquired about the what make of tire would be installed on the trailer. The factory rep said that they were Power King made by Kelly Springfield. He thought sure that the tires were made in the US. But after reading the above information about Power King Tires, I just what to leave my new trailer parked until I can afford some different tires. The Power King Tires have a DOT marking of 83B5GPB, manufacturing date of 2708. I certainly don't want a blowout and the damage that will occur.
What should I do??

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just took delivery of a new 2010 BH model 3410RE. During the order selection process I inquired about the what make of tire would be installed on the trailer. The factory rep said that they were Power King made by Kelly Springfield. He thought sure that the tires were made in the US. But after reading the above information about Power King Tires, I just what to leave my new trailer parked until I can afford some different tires. The Power King Tires have a DOT marking of 83B5GPB, manufacturing date of 2708. I certainly don't want a blowout and the damage that will occur.
What should I do??

Jim
Jim, it's a decision you have to make on your own. If it were me, I would use the trailer as it is. Watch the air pressure and monitor the tire temps and keep an eye out for the dreaded bubble. I had Karrier Load Stars for 2 years before I detected a bubble. That's when I bought new tires. Yes, I was fortunate to notice the bubble before it became a bomb. Also consider how you use your trailer. Short weekend trips or long haul vacations or full timing. If you want to spend an extra $1100.00 right away then go for the Goodyears.

57chevyconvt

Ray,
I talked with the local Discount Tire store manager today and he gave me pretty much the same answer that you provided. Since we are not full timers and at least for the remainder of this year, we will be making RV outtings within the state of Texas. The Discount Tire store manager recommended the Michelin XPS Rib Truck Tires as a replacement. Do you think the Goodyear G614's are equal to the Michelin XPS Rib?
I monitor my tire pressure and condition before each days drive and check temperature with Infa Red heat gun several times a day. I guess that I should add a surface feel for bumps/lumps to my check list.
Jim

boatdoc

The ribs don't have a "g" rated tire like the G614 are. Go for the ribs if you need "e" tires. They're the best.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
There is another thread under Bighorn Prospective Owners with the first post "tire upgrade" where we really discussed thoroughly the tire situation and which tire to go with between the E rated Michelin's XPS Ribs vs the G rated Goodyear 614's. Without a doubt, based on all the feedback I got, most of the senior campers chose the Goodyear hands down. The Goodyear is 14 ply vs 10 ply and the Michelin's are max 80 PSI vs Goodyear 110 PSI.
You have to go under the rig and on the inside of the rim if you see a G and 3750 lbs. you are rated for either the G or E rated. So you must be rated for G's before you can go with that tire but it is far superior although the Michelin's are great as well if you want E rated tires. Follow 2 different campers each one with the E and the other a G and its a no brainer in my book. JP Morgan, JimBo, Forrest, JimG and many others sold me on the 614's. On the other hand I have the dreaded Mission E rated tires and they have served me well for 12,000 miles but I don't want to press my luck on our 51 day trip this summer. So in late May I am buying the Goodyears. Check the other tire thread to read the whole story. And let me thank all for the great input to help me decide which way to go. These experienced campers know what they are talking about. Personally, I would keep your originals for at least 5,000 miles and check them frequently for bubbles or cracks and use 303 protectorant as Ray has suggested to keep them from cracking from the sun. That's my 2 cents from all the research we all have done.