Tires, tires, and more tires....it's making me crazy!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we traded in our 2013 Trail Runner last year for our 2015 Prowler we had just had both axles, all springs and all five wheels and tires replaced one week before we traded it in.

When I showed him before and after photos:

AxleRepairBefore-P5090649.jpg AxleRepairAfter-P5090654.jpg

The sales manager asked if we had flipped the axles . . . I said no.

In the two photos above, the trailer was completely empty of everything except for the two LP tanks and two (19" & 24") flat screen LED TV's, so it is sitting a little higher than when loaded.

He told me that if we would have had the axles flipped that they wouldn't have accepted the Trail Runner in as a trade in.

Food for thought . . .

Anyway, the springs were shot as well (trailer only had around 4000 miles on it), and the trailer was bottoming out on the tires.

AxelRearDrivSide-IMG_3900.jpg FrontAxlePassSide-IMG_3906.jpg

TireRub-IMG_3907.jpg TireRub-IMG_3903.jpg

TireRub-IMG_3898.jpg TireRubBadGougedTire-IMG_3904.jpg

Attachments

• TireRubBadGougedTireIMG_3911.jpg
    TireRubBadGougedTireIMG_3911.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 10

Bones

If you go from a 26" tire to a 31" tire the distance between them decreases by 5", not 2.5". Chris
remember this is a diameter and the axle is in the center. 2.5 " on one end of the axle and 2.5 on the other end. That equals 5 total inches difference. His trailer will raise 2.5 inches if the larger diameter tires are added

LCowan

Going camping this weekend so I think when we get back we will go talk to Les Schwab or/and Discount tire. It might be best if we stay with the same tire size. I will post what we decide on when we get new tires. Thanks for all of the advice...it's a lot of info, but useful.

Sniper

remember this is a diameter and the axle is in the center. 2.5 " on one end of the axle and 2.5 on the other end. That equals 5 total inches difference. His trailer will raise 2.5 inches if the larger diameter tires are added
Since the a tire is round, wouldn't you divide the difference by pi? :confused: (I threw this in just for you Bones ;))