Tires

Forrest Fetherolf

I have researched different tires suppliers and manufactures.

Tredit in IN. (800) 537-2925 currently supplies several brands of tires to the RV industry, Mission, Good Year, Task Master, and Tireco. They supplied Trail America until 4/06 but discontinued because of numerous problems.

JCA in WA. (800) 921-tire and Jetstar in TN. (800) 731-tire both currently supply Trail America tires.

Americana in IN. (574) 522-9450 supply Loadstar and a salesman will get back to me tomorrow with a list of any other brand they supply.

Cooper in OH. (800) 847-3777 manufacture Kenda.

These numbers might be handy in case you have a tire problem and don't know where to start.

I have just returned from Penn country and guess what? Another Wheel leak (Aluminum Wheels) and a blown tire. I was so happy I almost made it home. This is the fourth trip in a row that I have had to change a tire in the breakdown lane on a major highway because of wheel or tire problems. Does anyone have any Ideas? My problems seem to be the wheels as well as the tires. If you read my earlier posts you will see I am not kidding. I won't say anything else other then HELP SOMEONE. I don't know what to do, do I change all my tires or all my wheels or both? And if so is there any assistance available? I don't know who makes the Wheels, The tires are TA

Uncle Rog

bh3600, how or where is the wheel leaking? I have dumped the TA tires and have the HD aluminum wheels, they seem to be pretty solid.......

Both leaks I have experienced have been in the same area. In the radius about 3 inches out from the bolt pattern on the outside of the wheel.

jbeletti

bighorn3600,

If you have not already done so, contact Tredit. There number appears in post 22 of this thread.

Jim

dennylm

I'm still shopping for the best price on Goodyear G614's and am also planning on buying new wheels to replace the stock painted steel wheels that came on the trailer. Those of you who have replaced tires AND wheels, can you recommend a make of dependable wheels? What did you buy?

Denny

jhathcock

Bighorn Tires

I have a 2007 3055RL with the Kenda LoadStar Karrier tires. One tire developed a crack in the sidewall. Roger at Kenda was very helpful and replaced this under warranty. I had put the spare tire on while waiting for the replacement, and the spare developed the same type of crack on the sidewall, which Kenda has denied replacement because they feel it looks like road damage. I have been very suspect of the Kenda tires and reading this forum confirms my suspicions. I think these are definately factory defects and I will be replacing these tires as soon as possible. I will also be watching the wheels for problems. I suspect Kenda is getting a lot of calls for replacements, as well they should be. I am very disappointed with Heartland for delivering such poor quality tires and risking the safety of Heartland owners. We love our Bighorn overall, but poor quality tires is an unnecessary inconvenience that Heartland should resolve.

BluegrassMan

Guy's:

After reading many posts on this tire subject, I thought I'd make a brief statement. MY 05' Grand Canyon had "Load Boss" tires on it. I know that I haven't gone the miles that some of ya'll have, but I have not had any problems with these tires. My 5ver is garage kept (no Sun on them), always 110 lbs. when I go out, and I have taken it on a few LONG trips 13 hours one way. I'll plan on putting on new tires after 5 years regardless. Wish me luck, I really don't look forward to a blow out. Just my opinion.

C

Chulinw

I agree with Bighorn 3600 and would be very happy to spend another $800.00 at the purchase price if the tires are from Goodyear or Michelin. After making a trip to Halifax, NS and all around the NE, USA and then the falling year to IL, WS, KY, and TN then after a blow out and $6K in repair bill for the blow out plus $1227.00 for new tires. I really think it would be in the best interest of Heartland to put quality tires on the units. This will help make the customers relations a big improvement. JMHO

Ronald Pagel

Prospector
impertick said:
I have a 2006 Bighorn 3600RL. I'm sure I have the Trail America or the Kenda tires. My rig is in the shop right now. Can anyone tell me how to get the manufacturer to replace them with the Goodyear reliable ones. Thanks for any sugestions.

Clark
WE HAVE A LANDMARK GRAND CANYON AND HAVE LOAD BOSS TIRE ON ALL FOUR WHEELS AND A TRAIL AMERICA TIRE SPARE THAT CAME FROM THE FACTORY. WE HAD ON OF THE TIRE IN THE REA EXPLODE ON OUR WAY HOME. i HAVE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH ON ALL BRANDS AND FOUND OUT THAT GOODYEAR TIRE HAS A LT 235/85/R16 WITH A G RATING. ALSO HAS A 3750@110 LBS. UNISTEEL G614RST.
THE BEST PRICE THAT I FOUND WAS A SEARS FOR $204.99 EACH.
RON

vangoes

Are there owners out there with the the various factory tires that have more than 15,000 miles on them? At the price of trailer tires, I would certainly hope that the expected life of the tires is more than that. We read of all the horror stories about these China made tires......are there any success stories? If not, how are these tires even on the road in America?

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Bighorn3600
I had problem with my rims, aluminum. Contact Tredit as Jim suggested they sent me a new set of rims which were from a different manufacturer, don't know who. I have just replaced the tires after about 20 thousand miles, stayed with the Goodyear G614's. They cost me $ 1100.00 and changed out the door. They old tires were not worn out but I am headed west in a week and will be traveling 6 to 7 thousand miles, don't want to chance having the side of the fiver torn up from a blow out and the Goodyears have given me no problems. Maybe a few complaints to the factory would get them to dump the cheap tires. I know they have a record of my problems.

Uncle Rog

Impertick, my guess is that you are on your own as far as the tire change out goes............
fireflipper, my tire guy says that after 3 years throw out the trailer tires, he also said that the TA tires were ok until he had the good years side by side....better safe than sorry....

jpmorgan37

Vangoes;
I have stayed out of this discussion but I wanted to answer your question. Yes, I probably have close to 15000 miles by now and am still on the original Trail America tires. I do use the Doran Pressure Pro system and keep track of tire pressures and temps while I travel. I have seen my pressure go from 110 in the morning to 124 during the afternoon as the ambient temperature rose and the road got hot. So far, I am satisfied with the Trail America tires. I did have the trailer weighed (each tire) so that I try to keep the load distribution as even as possible.

Jon

jbeletti

Thanks r4man2. Hope my GYs hold up. So far so good.

I run at max cold PSI of 110 by the way. Saw a lot of debate on that thread on using load inflation tables vs. max cold PSI. I can see virtues in both. At my weight though, I think the lines converge so I'll stick with 110 PSI.

Jim

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I am definately a fan of max inflation regardless of the load. If the tire is fully inflated it is going to pull a lot better and run cooler..........

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Looks like you are darned if you do and darned if you don't. Just as I was thinking that maybe I should invest in GY 614s, I read this on the NuWa forum. Now I don't have a clue.

I've made two round trips to Florida with my Trail America G-rated tires and make sure they are inflated to 110 psi cold. Hope I'm not running on borrowed time. Weight on the two 7,000# axles is 12,175 based on rally weights from last year - well below the individual tire (3,450#) and axle ratings. Highest tire weight of 3,125# was on the front off-door side tire.

Fresh water tank was at the 1/3 mark and all holding tanks were empty. I usually travel with empty fresh water tank, but wanted to see how it would weigh with some water in it.

Forrest Fetherolf

Chuck M.

It is a tough decision about tires, I gambled and lost. I did all the right things with the Trail America tires, air pressure, uv protectant, considered speed, watched my turns for curbs, made wide u-turns, stored under a canopy, installed tire monitors, used rv monthly, all to no avail. I will soon be on Goodyears, my reasoning for that is to try to minimize catostrophic tire failure that happened to me. I expect tires to go flat from road hazzards, neglect, and poor driving habits, but not a massive tire separation. The $1000.00 +/- for good tires is inexpensive compared to the inconvience, time spent to repair the damage, even if the tire mfg pays all costs.

I hope whatever decision you make will work for you.

Forrest