Tires!!!

Good afternoon, I have a [new] 2021 Elkridge 38MB and am reaching out regarding issues I’ve had with the tires that came with the RV at purchase (Trailer King RST 235/80/R16). That is, in the only 8 months I’ve owned the RV, I have already had two separate blow-outs. This is new to me, as I’ve never had this issue with any of the other RVs I’ve owned in the past. While I understand there are many factors that might contribute to my recent experiences, I cannot help to think that these tires are defective in some manner. I’m extremely meticulous in checking the air and functionality of every tire before use. I also conduct routine maintenance to help prevent an emergency situation and/or identify any issues before each trip. In this case, these tires did not show any signs of potential problems.

That said, what other options do I have in purchasing better tires that would help mitigate this situation in the future. Is there a better tire, perhaps a better rating that you as the manufacture can recommend? Can I go wider? I’m disappointed with the quality of the factory installed tires and really need to get better ones soon. Thank you.

Last edited:

rhodies1

Those trailer are Chinese garbage. Take them off and put on Goodyear Endurance and you’ll have no issues...Made in the USA , the RV manufacturers should be taken to court for continuing to put that crap on RVS. . Someone is going to get killed because of this practice;

Dahillbilly

those tires are commonly refered to as China bombs as they do blowout. Goodyear Endurance and Saliun are both good tires as replacements. I couldn't find either of them and went with Hercules ST901 235/85/R16 14ply. Might be overkill on a 17k toyhauler time will tell as only had them mounted 6-8 weeks ago. Shop around and do some research.

SLO

You’re finding out what every trailer owner knows about cheap tires manufacture put on trailers. Sailuns are good tires I’ve had experience with and Michelin XPS ribs are good if you’re less than 14k gvw. You do need to change the tires. Also, I’d edit your post and take out your vin number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! Yeah, I copied and pasted an email I sent to Heartland (manufacturer) this afternoon. Good call on the VIN, thanks. This is my first 5th wheel, had a bumper pull for last few years and never had any issues. Thanks for the recommendations. Should I go a little wider on the tire?

rhodies1

I personally have Michelin XPS Rib Tires on my Bighorn. They are expensive but good: most people don’t want to pay the extra but I feel it’s worth the peace of mind.

Dahillbilly

just purchased Hercules 901 ST 14 ply for our toyhauler, Look at the date code on each tire to see how old they are, three of our tires were 16 months older than the 4th tire.

CoveredWagon

just purchased Hercules 901 ST 14 ply for our toyhauler, Look at the date code on each tire to see how old they are, three of our tires were 16 months older than the 4th tire.
I recently purchased Hercules 901 ST tires as well, by choice not by default. They are made by Cooper Tire and if you know tires you'll know Cooper.

hoefler

I run LT tires on all my trailers, except my Landmark, on it I run MT tires. After having a blow out and several cracked wheels, I switched to MT tires and wheels, that was 6 years ago. Have not had one tire or wheel issue since. The MT tires are 14 ply and good for 6005 pounds each with matching wheels. Overkill by a factor of 2, for sure.

LBR

those tires are commonly refered to as China bombs as they do blowout. Goodyear Endurance and Saliun are both good tires as replacements. I couldn't find either of them and went with Hercules ST901 235/85/R16 14ply. Might be overkill on a 17k toyhauler time will tell as only had them mounted 6-8 weeks ago. Shop around and do some research.
I just bought 6 Sailuns from Simple Tire 2 weeks ago and they were delivered to the property 3 days later.

When talking to the rep before ordering, I was very concerned about the date codes and she couldn't guaranty, nor special request, the newest built tires. But when she volunteered up the information that these 14 ply Sailuns are their #1 requested trailer tires of that size, I felt at ease due to the volume they must go thru. Below are the 6 date codes, so the 2 oldest tires are about 7 months old..., but ultimately I'm happy with what I got...

Sailun Tires S637 ST235/85R16 31.5"

Date Codes 11/22, 11/22, 10/22, 10/22, 46/21, 46/21

david-steph2018

February 1st this year, I replaced the tires on the Road Warrior. I stayed with the Sailuns, but went to the 235/85R/16. The tires were 4 1/2 years old when I replaced the tires. I probably had another 6 months to a year left on the tires. But since we are going from Phoenix up there Yellowstone, Glacier and across the Northern section of the country, I thought it would be wised to have new tires on instead of being forced to look for a place in case of problems.

clark261

I found this Toyo All-Season radial tire, and it had the EPA SmartWay Verified seal of approval on it, which piqued my interest. After careful research, I decided to buy this for my RV, and I can say that I am not dissatisfied with my decision.

lynndiwagoner

If you've been around here a while you would see that the crappy "china bombs" need to be removed immediately. My first replacement set were Sailuns...and they weathered out after 8 years, so I decided to go for another set from Walmart. The provider mistakenly sent me Transeagles and after doing a little research I decided to keep them as they get good reviews and they are very rugged and heavy. I felt sorry for Discount Tire as they struggled to get those stiff Sailuns off the wheels and re-mount the even heavier and stiffer Transeagles. I'm very pleased. Here's the link to the Walmart listing: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ST-235-8...pJkjeov1XoD9YMGv9-w&athancid=null&athena=true

benrobert

You can choose Toyo and Michelin, they offer a number of tire options, for various vehicle types. The performance, tread life, and superb wet and dry traction of Toyo tires are well known.

I picked the Hercules 14 ply also for my 305RW, the tire is stamped 110 psi for full capacity. The dealer only put 80 lbs of pressure in. I asked him why and he said the rims are rated for 80 psi. Now i am totally confused. Will these tires stand running at 80 lbs? I have two motorcycles loaded in garage. I weighed loaded trailer and came up with 11950 lbs. on trailer axles

rhodies1

Climb under your unit and read the stamping on the inside of the rim to ensure they are only 80 psi.
80 lbs in a 110 psi rated tire is very low, you may get a lot of heat build up because the tires are most likely going to squirm going down the road.
The side walls will be soft causing rolling action.

Dahillbilly

I have the Hercules 14ply 235/80/16 running 95-100 psi, my rims are rated for 120psi if I remember. Just make sure the valve stems are good for higher psi also.

Climb under your unit and read the stamping on the inside of the rim to ensure they are only 80 psi.
80 lbs in a 110 psi rated tire is very low, you may get a lot of heat build up because the tires are most likely going to squirm going down the road.
The side walls will be soft causing rolling action.
I checked rims and there was no psi marked on them but if i remember it was stamped 3184 lbs which seemed strange to me as the axles are 7000 rated. Not sure why these companies cheap out on the most important part,, the wheels.

mlpeloquin

Look up the Load/Pressure chart for your tires. Select the tire type and then select the tire size. This will give you the weight rating at the psi. Look at the load rating for the tire at 80 PSI. You may need a really good flashlight and a rag to find the PSI rating on the rim. I removed, when I had my fifth wheel, the tire and rim to see.

Daley07

When it comes to performance, I'd say the Endurance and Transeagle are neck and neck, with the former having a slight advantage. Endurance's outstanding handling and braking distance on wet and slippery roads is praised in several reviews, thanks to the revolutionary HydroGrip technology. The tire's low fuel usage is also noteworthy, albeit it can be a touch noisy while driving.

Last edited: