To winterize or not

icechex

I've read quite a bit about the hassles of winterizing the rigs. My question is - we're leaving right after Christmas for California and I was trying to figure out a way to keep from winterizing the rig. We live in Oklahoma and it can go either way between now and Dec 26th. Freezing temps are possible (for sure) but also a real possibility of an Indian Summer and just a few days of cold weather. Our trailer sits right outside in the driveway - and I was thinking I could just turn the RV heater on if we have a few days of freezing weather. Even if it took a couple of bottles of propane to get me to Dec 26th might it be simpler than going thru all the winterizing stuff, i.e., anti-freeze, blowing out lines etc etc etc.

No water is hooked up.

Thoughts?

danemayer

If you're talking about temps in the mid 20s, running the furnace will work. Probably a good idea to hang a 60 watt drop light in the UDC to protect the fittings there.

Keep in mind that you can run out of propane faster than you might think. You'll need to keep a close eye on the propane tanks.

icechex

If you're talking about temps in the mid 20s, running the furnace will work. Probably a good idea to hang a 60 watt drop light in the UDC to protect the fittings there.

Keep in mind that you can run out of propane faster than you might think. You'll need to keep a close eye on the propane tanks.

Thanks... exactly what I'm thinking. Thanks for the reminder of the drop light - I've done that before too.

Also, we've just decided to take a trip to Florida (1st of November) to visit Grand-daughter so there's going to be even less days to worry about freezing weather. We'll probably be there (Florida) for most of November.... I hear the weather is nice there in the winter lol.

again, thanks

Rollin_Free

Once you have gone through the winterization process it will get easier each time. Just make sure you bypass and remove the drain plug on the hot water heater before starting to add antifreeze to the rest of the system. There are many utube videos to help you understand the correct steps. You can expect to use approximately 2-3 gallons of RV antifreeze.

danemayer

If the water heater isn't drained, keep it full and turned on.

Btw, when winterizing, that's a good time to check the anode rod (Suburban Water Heaters only). If you don't ever check it and replace when worn, you risk damage to the tank. That'll cost you a new water heater. Usually a good idea to replace the anode rod annually.

Also, if you have a water feed line to the refrigerator, you must shut off the water to that line and evacuate the water from the line or it will freeze and crack as soon as temps get below freezing.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I used to think that winterizing the trailer was a major PITA . . .

But after doing it a few times . . . it is a piece of cake!

I prefer to blow out the water lines with an air compressor, then put antifreeze in the sink and shower P-traps, put some in the toilet bowl, and then run a little bit into the water pump.

When traveling in the winter just keep an eye on the weather conditions.

If it will be freezing while you travel, just use bathrooms at gas stations and truck stops, use campground showers and facilities and drink bottled water while camping on the road.

Then when you get to the warmer climate, dewinterize and use the trailer facilities as usual.

Then do the same when time to head home.

No sense in taking any chances on damage to the RV.

Gaffer

Just semi winterize it. Doesn't take long and will give you piece of mind.
Drain the water heater, no need to heat it.
Drain the fresh water tank.
Dump the holding tanks.
Blow out the water lines with a compressor at low pressure.
Turn on the furnace when over night lows are expected in the low 30's or colder.
Don't need to put the pink stuff in the traps.

FrontRangeTraveler

My wife and I just bought a Mallard M28 and want to take it out a couple days over the next two weekend before all the campgrounds close up for winter here in Colorado.

Camping World had the rig winterized, but we would like to have use of the toilet. Is it necessary to re-winterize the toilet and black tank if we just used it for two weekends? Would it be good enough to just dump the black tank, use the internal sprayer to rinse it out, run a little antifreeze liquid through the toilet into the black tank and leave it for the winter?

I've never had to winterize a TT before (lived in the Phoenix area for 43 years before relocating to Colorado for work).

Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
For a couple of weekends If all you figure on using is the toilet, just use some water in a bucket or jug to flush it. after you dump use several buckets of water to rinse/flush the black tank. When you're done pour some pink stuff down the toilet and leave a little in the bowl.
Same if you use your gray tank. Some pink stuff back in the traps.
That's what we've done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Or just leave it winterized and use the campground facilities.

Where in Colorado are you thinking of going camping at?

FrontRangeTraveler

Or just leave it winterized and use the campground facilities.

Where in Colorado are you thinking of going camping at?

Farish Recreation Area (they close this Sunday), then hopefully somewhere in Estes Park the following weekend (if anything is open after Halloween).