Toilet Burps

Gaffer

I know that when the toilet burps, it is time to dump it. I don't have a sewer connection here but the park has a pumper truck and I was punped out yesterday. Why would my toilet still burp? I don't know about other models but I don't look straight down into the tank on my 3055. A couple of feet down there is a 90 or 45 that turns toward the back of the coach. Never any back up just the burp. Anyone have that happen? This is a first for me.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Had it happen several times...usually turned out to be something stuck near the end of pipegoing into the tank. Put a hose down the toilet as far as possible and flush with water...usually unblocked it for us.

B

BouseBill

Our toilet burps whenever the black tank gets 3/4s full and will not stop until the tank is emptied. At times the burp is strong enough to send water spraying out of the toilet bowel. The Boss really hates it when that happens. My theory is a little different than that of Ken in post #2.
It happens every time, no ifs ands or buts. When the tank reaches 3/4s it starts burping and I think it's because the vent tube is positioned to low into the black tank and as the waste rises it blocks off the vent tube allowing gasses to build up in the tank. When you then flush the gasses escape out the top spraying water as it vents out the toilet. I may be wrong on this but it sure makes sense to me anyway.
For the time, I just empty the tank at the first sign of a small burp, when we head up to Vegas next, the coach is going back to the dealership for some additional work, one of the items is the burping toilet:) At least it's still under warranty, and this is after they replaced the cracked black tank last September.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bousebill,

How do you know the tank is 3/4 full rather than completely full?
That's the question of the day.
I wait for mine to burp. That's my gauge to tell me it's time to dump.
The electronic gauges are not reliable....at best.
So don't depend on them to tell you the level in your tank.

Peace
Dave

DougAndJudy

I know that when the toilet burps, it is time to dump it. I don't have a sewer connection here but the park has a pumper truck and I was punped out yesterday. Why would my toilet still burp? I don't know about other models but I don't look straight down into the tank on my 3055. A couple of feet down there is a 90 or 45 that turns toward the back of the coach. Never any back up just the burp. Anyone have that happen? This is a first for me.

We've recently had a similar problem. The toilet keeps burping, even after a tank cleanout. I tend to agree with kakampers about something stuck near the end of the pipe where it enters the tank. If I keep running water into the tank after flushing it sounds like the tank is filling up fast... too fast! When I know we're not full, I fill the toilet bowl pretty full of water then let it flush. The first time usually results in a mini-geyser, but the second fill usually clears the clog.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use a "plumbers friend" (plunger) to unstop ours when that happens. To prevent it be sure to use plenty of water when flushing and not put too much toilet paper at once when flushing. Also use a paper such as Angel Soft that is septic safe. There are a number of companies which specialize cleaning out RV black tanks. Can't put my finger on their names but you can do a google search for one in your area and I am sure someone on the forum can remember a company name.