Toilet "burps"?

navyAZ1

Hi All, been having a problem with our black water tank. The toilet keeps "burping" a big air bubble back when flushed. This does not happen after I have dumped, but just a day or so and it starts and I know the tank can not be full already. I went on the roof and ran a hose down the vent pipe and it was clear with no obstructions. I have also ran a hose down the pipe from the toilet to the tank and all seems to be clear there also. If I fill the toilet almost full with water and flush it I get a "Big" burp shooting water everywhere, but then the toilet flushes fine for a short while then starts the "burping" again. I'm of the opinion that there is some sort of obstruction in the waste line from the toilet to the tank, so when we get home next week I'm going to try using my pressure washer down thru the waste line to see if this helps. Anyone ever had this in the past?

RoadJunkie

I would say you have black tank constipation, that is, somewhere you have an obstruction that is not allowing the black tank to fully drain. Iwould suggest you buy a clear intermediate coupler with a backflush connection that connectects in series with your sewer hose. When you clear the obstruction examine for the root cause: is your TP desolving, are you only dumping when tank is almost full, etc. Good luck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Normally, if the toilet burps it's because the vent pipe to the roof is obstructed. Either something is stuck in it, or the end is below the liquid level in the tank. I would first follow the advice to back flush the sewer line and see if more junk comes out. Second is to run water down the vent stack (have sewer valve open) to ensure it's truly clear. Last possibility is that the pipe itself was installed incorrectly and extends too far into the tank, thus causing it to burp after limited usage.

navyAZ1

Normally, if the toilet burps it's because the vent pipe to the roof is obstructed. Either something is stuck in it, or the end is below the liquid level in the tank. I would first follow the advice to back flush the sewer line and see if more junk comes out. Second is to run water down the vent stack (have sewer valve open) to ensure it's truly clear. Last possibility is that the pipe itself was installed incorrectly and extends too far into the tank, thus causing it to burp after limited usage.
Yep did the water hose thing down the vent already, all was clear. Did the back flush also numerous times and that didn't seem to make a lot of difference. However, I did get a lot of "stuff" coming thru during the back flush. Can't believe it's the vent pipe being to low in the tank since we have had this coach since April of 07 and this is the first time this has happened. Maybe tomorrow I'll try the back flush again. And yes we always wait to dump until the tank is almost full, and never leave the valve open except to dump. As to the TP it appears to be desolving okay I don't see huge amounts of it when dumping. I use a dump hose with a clear plastic end on it so I can see just what is flowing out. I still think I'm going to try the pressure washer down the waste line when we get home, just in case there has been a "pyramid of poop" developed in that area that should help break it up.

jimtoo

You might have the DW inside and fill and dump the pop while your flushing. She fill's and dumps the pot 10-12 times. I have found that once it just about stops flowing dumping a full pot of water loosens up some more stuff.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yep did the water hose thing down the vent already, all was clear. Did the back flush also numerous times and that didn't seem to make a lot of difference. However, I did get a lot of "stuff" coming thru during the back flush. Can't believe it's the vent pipe being to low in the tank since we have had this coach since April of 07 and this is the first time this has happened. Maybe tomorrow I'll try the back flush again. And yes we always wait to dump until the tank is almost full, and never leave the valve open except to dump. As to the TP it appears to be desolving okay I don't see huge amounts of it when dumping. I use a dump hose with a clear plastic end on it so I can see just what is flowing out. I still think I'm going to try the pressure washer down the waste line when we get home, just in case there has been a "pyramid of poop" developed in that area that should help break it up.

Problem with responding from my phone via Tapatalk is that not all of the personal information shows up. Didn't realize your rig was an older model.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The best solution to black tank blockages is a bag or two of ice in the toilet flushed to the black tank. Then drive around some to allow the ice to slosh around breaking up any blockages. This worked for several friends of mine in their tanks.

RoadJunkie

One more point: I have had excellent results using the "Geo Method" to condition my black water tank. The benefit, in this case, is the process of using water softening and liquid laundry detergent lubricates the waste matter, which will help facilitate a more efficient dumping of the tank.

navyAZ1

Problem solved!!!!! I remembered a trick that I was told about a few years back, and that is to mix 1/2 cup of "Dishwasher Gel" in one gallon of hot water to ensure it disolves good. Dump this down the toilet with an additional 10 gallons of water. Do this just prior to heading down the road let this mixture slosh around in there all day and when you stop for the night drain this mixture (and anything else). This worked great, I could not believe the amount of "stuff" that came out, it was like I had not dumped for 3 or 4 days. We must have had a pretty big build up in there, but all is well now. Thanks for everyone's help.