Toilet Paper Question

srae

This is may sound "crazy" but I do have a question about the right toilet paper to use in our RVs. Is "septic safe" the same as using the paper specifically for "marine, rv" use?

Thanks,
srae

Rrloren

I've been using single ply paper usually Scott's but anyone will work. Been doing so for yrs. with no problems.
I also use tank treatments and flush the tank every few dumps. Works for me.
I wouldn't pay for the "marine" or the made for RV stuff.

DMitch

I agree 100% with Rrloren, I have used the same stuff for years and never had a problem.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We use to use Scotts and it is a good TP, however we find Angle Soft preferable. It is the same as Scotts except has a bit more texture and softness to it.

If you wish to know if a certain brand is good for your septic tank take one sheet and put it into a pint container. Shake it and if it disperses completely it is ok for your tank.

BC

Also, we us no chemicals in our septic tank. We use plenty of water when flushing and dump when it is at least half full or more. I flush out the tank until clear water comes out every time I dump. You also should use a clear elbow between the trailer connection and the dump hose.

traveler44

We bought a bunch of the Scotts and found it to be a little weak for the way I use paper. My wife is making me use up the Scotts but I sneak in the Angel Soft when she isn't looking. It is a little stronger and I use a lot less of it than a whole lot of Scotts folded over and over. Just seems like the amount of paper in the tank winds up being about the same.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
2 votes for Angel Soft from us. Been using it for over 5 years. No problems at all. Key things to remember. Keep the black tank valve closed until you're ready to dump the tank. Use plenty of water for flushing the toilet. We like parks with sewer hook ups so we can flush the black tank for an extended length. Sometimes up to a half hour. If we have to use a dump station other than at our site, I have the option of using water from our supply tank to flush the black tank.. A plumbing mod is needed to do this.

Birchwood

We use septic safe 1 ply we purchase at Costco and its inexpensive.RV and marine paper
is fine if you want to pay more or you are an occasional RVer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another vote for Angel Soft - 2 ply, available just about anywhere. The only "chemical" that goes in my tank is a cup of Calgon powder dissolved in a couple of gallons of water, after dumping and flushing.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Another vote for Angel Soft 2 ply. We so use a product called Unique who we were introduced to at the Tennessee Rally. You use 2 oz. after the first time. It is enzyme based and much cheaper thatn the blue stuff. Also don't pay the high cost of RV paper. Anything that says Septic Safe is okay. Also wait until the black tank in 2/3 or more full to dump.

GOTTOYS

The tanks on your trailer are holding tanks, not septic tanks. If you use plenty of water you will have no problem with whatever toilet paper you want. I don't use any chemicals in my tanks, just a lot of water. Never have a problem. My only requirement for toilet paper is something non-skid and puncture proof....JMHO..Don

JohnDar

The tanks on your trailer are holding tanks, not septic tanks. If you use plenty of water you will have no problem with whatever toilet paper you want. I don't use any chemicals in my tanks, just a lot of water. Never have a problem. My only requirement for toilet paper is something non-skid and puncture proof....JMHO..Don

And not too rough, either. The Intergalactic Accords state that you can't be too rough on Klingons, even if they're close and circling Uranus.

lthrnk

A second vote for Costco's septic safe. Before that we had used Scott's for years, with no problems.

JohnDar

You could probably use corn cobs, if you like. Just gotta wait a lot longer for them to digest in the tank so they'll pass through the valve.

PeternLiane

We use the Costco's septic safe TP too. I'm not going to fill up my black tank just to flush the house hold TP.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We get ours at Wallyworld. Scotts RV single ply, or Camco RV 2-ply.
Both resist the abuse I give them, are biodegradable and gentle on my hind quarters

BTW, I flush the tank everytime I dump.
If you ever see a tank removed because of solids built up, you will know why.

GarryH

This is may sound "crazy" but I do have a question about the right toilet paper to use in our RVs. Is "septic safe" the same as using the paper specifically for "marine, rv" use?

Thanks,
srae

We have a unique method of toilet paper disposal in our trailer---NO TOILET PAPER goes in the black tank. We travel in Mexico a lot and the rule down there is no paper in the toilet because of small sewer lines---including in rv parks. We came across what we think is a good idea as a result---we use a Diaper Genie, which is sanitary and odourless. Old folks like us never used these when we were raising kids as we used cloth diapers but it works well in an rv and you can use whatever kind of toilet paper your heart desires--including the Sears catelogue if you really want to.

lwmcguir

Add a couple ounces of Dawn to the tank. The surfactant keeps solids from bonding and sticking to the walls. This also lubricates the valve slide and the discharge pipe/hose. Cheap insurance. Dont overdo it though when traveling or you will have more suds than you might like. We use any of the "approved papers" and have for the past 45 years. Not a problem yet. Our homes have always been on septic systems so there we use products like Rid Ex. Fiber if very difficult to digest. Material is only going to be in the black tank for a few days max so odor and solids control is the issue there. Many new subdivisons now are built using sewage grinding pumps and small lines going to the treatment plants. Similar to the units offered for RV's but on a larger scale.