Too much?

Scottz

I have a North Trail FX23 just purchased and I pick it up Saturday. A friend is towing it for me, but I'll need to get a wd anti-sway hitch soon. A neighbor has offered to sell me his E2. It is rated at 1000lb tongue weight. My FX23 is 518 lb tongue weight. Should I find something that's a closer match or will I be OK with this heavier rated hitch?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Steve.Twoknee

Congrats on the new camper! Are you having your friend tow it to a park or are you all in for a driveway camp?
As far as the hitch goes, having it rated for more than what the tongue weight of your camper tongue, in my opinion, is a good thing and you should be fine, assuming all the parts are in solid shape with no cracks and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottz

No, there's a storage lot about 2 miles from my house. It will live there a couple of months until I get my backyard ready. I also need to trade in my Jeep on a tow vehicle.

Steve.Twoknee

Oh, that would kill me to not be able to use my new camper right away! Best of luck with 'spring fever', as I'm guessing it might get kind of bad!

hboy1

500 pound dry tongue weight can easily turn into several hundred pounds more once loaded. I would think 1000 pound rated hitch would be ideal.

Scottz

Yeah, that's what I was just thinking. Throw some gear in the bed of the truck, fill the trailer with water and gear, pretty soon it's getting closer and closer.

pegmikef

Yeah, that's what I was just thinking. Throw some gear in the bed of the truck, fill the trailer with water and gear, pretty soon it's getting closer and closer.

and then if you upgrade your travel trailer you don't have to get a new one (our Edge morphed into a North Trail 26LRSS after only 7 months).