Tools?

wyleyrabbit

Going to be going on our maiden voyage soon, and would love some advice from the veterans about tools. So? What tools are must-haves? What ones would be a bonus?

Chris

jpmorgan37

That really depends on your mechanical ability. The first must have is a cell phone to call Good Sam in case of a situation where you need towing. I carry a fairly complete set of mechanics tools and electrical tester and wire, wire ends and connectors. Some say it's over kill, but I have sure helped a lot of broken down and stranded RV'ers. Fortunately, I don't use them much on our fifth wheel. Several items I won't be without: A battery operated electric drill, drill bits, screw driver bits (Philips, square drive and straight) 18 inch breaker bar and socket assortment, 1/2 in drive torque wrench, thin wall deep well socket assortment, grease gun, spray lube (WD 40 & Liquid Wrench) a good set of screw drivers, a large slip joint plier (14 inch or larger) ball pein hammer, dead blow hammer. Assortment of sheet metal screws, wire, zip ties, bungie cords, duct tape, electrical tape, teflon tape, adjustable wrenches, and the list can go on and on. These are my must haves.

John

Make sure you have BCAA, or what ever you have in your area and add RV Plus for the complete coverage, if you do break down, GM will only cover the truck,as long as it is under warrenty,after that RV PLUS will tow the trailer with the truck, our friends had thier Ford break down, and BCAA sent out two tow trucks, to tow both pieces off the road,alot of people are not aware of this

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Wow, this could be a long list. A couple questions first come to mind. What type of repairs are you comfortable doing and how "handy" are you? I carry a full set of combination wrenches up to 1", 3/8" drive sockets up to 3/4" including deep well, a couple 1/2" drive sockets for a few larger needs. anode rod, pin box bolts and lug nuts. Also enough to do oil and filter changes. Hammer, a couple axes, adj. wrenches, channel locks (3 sizes) multi meter, a good assortment of nuts, bolts, screws, a good kit of solderless terminals and a bunch of misc hardware. Cordless drill, circ saw, recip saw, grease gun, air compressor, brad nailer and I could go on and get real specific but... We full time and have been for only 3 years. I've changed what I carry based on what I've needed and didn't have and what I carried and never used. I think I have my tool selection pretty well adjusted now. I think the only thing I'm not capable of doing is analyzing electrical component boards and the like. I leave that to the trained pros. Good Luck with your ventures and travel safe.

2010augusta

Ditto Ray, I carry a FULL tool set including 21 volt Milwaukee impact gun, power saws, drills, 1/4,3/8,1/2 sockets from way small to 1-1/4" combo wrenches in the most of the same sizes, screwdrivers, drill bits, pliers, shears, electrical stuff, hand saws, claw hammer, dead blow, sledge, pry bars, and much more. We fulltime in areas without RV repair, so I am my own service center. I have to be able to fix the 5'er the Tow vehicle and the DW's jeep. like the Boy Scouts say "Be Prepared"

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
1 channel lock pliers
1 slip joint pliers
1 hammer
1 roll of super tape
1 make-a fanbelt
1 12 inch slotted head screwdriver
1 12 inch phillips headed screwdriver
1 picture of Beletti's dogs

1 quart of hiram walker

1 $10,000 limit bank card:D (I wish..more like $100)

1 Good Sam Road Side Assistance

Add 1 10pound bag of ice...and I party while they make my buggy boogy at my bungalow.

Who could ask for anything more?

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
What are tools? LOL That's what AAA or Good Sam is for me. I bring a set of Crescent tools I got at Costco that JimBo recommended, in case we are broken down and somebody with mechanical ability offers to help out.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
What are tools? LOL That's what AAA or Good Sam is for me. I bring a set of Crescent tools I got at Costco that JimBo recommended, in case we are broken down and somebody with mechanical ability offers to help out.

Implements to help open the bottle of hiram walker...an to pry the $$$ out of my wallet. The rest is either to beat up the wrecker driver or put him back together again after he fails to accept my Good Sams card.

wyleyrabbit

Wow, some of you guys are packing tools the same way Rambo packed weapons. :)

Circular saws?!? Reciprocating saws?!? Brad nailer? Are you guys building RVs in the campground?

Seriously, we're weekend warriors. Will be going on a couple of 14+ day trips per year, then a bunch of weekends here and there.

Please make suggestions and corrections to my hallucinations:

1. Multi-bit screwdriver.
2. Basic socket set. I presume since Heartland is in USA that I need imperial set instead of metric?
2a. Not sure what diameter largest nut/bolt is that I'd need to do. I presume that the hot water tank anode rod is it, and I'm guessing it's a 1/2" socket? Or is it bigger?
3. Obviously, an axe and a hatchet. Normal camping stuff for building fire.
4. A couple of crescent wrenches, I realize standard wrenches are probably better, but these will take much less space.

I noticed a couple of you mentioned torque wrenches. What would I need that for?

Chris

Larryheadhunter

Hey JimBo,
In my crescent tool set, did I get torque wrenches with it? And are they metric as well as standard and what are they for? And I better hide the axe and the hatchet from the DW in case she is upset with me. Don't want to find pieces of me along the highway. The one thing I think everyone needs are reliable flashlights and emergency warning equipment when u are stuck by the side of the road, hoping one of you technical geniuses passes by to utilize my tool set. Also I was told to get a 12 ton bottle jack. I guess that is for opening beer bottles.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Or you can use the DW's nail polish. Lar, just make sure your cell phone works. You should have bought a Chevy. They come with ON-STAR. :D

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
wyley, you need to check your lug nuts periodicaly, therefor you need a torque wrench. Torque settings are listed in your owners manual. Another couple of other tools that I carry are a pair of 5# AMEREX fire extinguishers.
Peace
Dave

Smokeyfl

Torque wrench is so the wheels don't fall off. Make sure you have a good tire guage that has enough capicity.

Larryheadhunter

Wow, I did something right, Heartland did include the torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts, and I check them every day I am on the road. Now the wheels won't fall off, probably the axles will break instead. LOL. Now if they would have just included a tool to remove the spare tire, it would have been nice. Those warranty guys won't even replace a speaker in the bedroom or fix my vaccuum, and that's what they told Clovis. I will be calling tomorrow to raise heck!

cjbearden

Visitor
Larry,

Sounds like you got lucky on the torque wrench. Maybe some line tech lefts theirs by mistake! Duh! We sure didn't have one with our old BH and not one with the new Augusta.

Lilywhite

You forgot that we always take duct tape, bungee cords, hammer etc. but it is usually me that does the packing...:p

Jody

(Wyleyrabbit's better half);)