Torque 291 what truck

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Follow Up to my previous post on my 2012 F150 with Ecoboost towing our TQ291. Again, I have to comment on how some people seem to think they know everything when in fact they should keep their pie hole shut. We have taken several trips now in the last year totaling 20,000 miles. We are N of Chicago and have traveled to Florida and back, then out west to Arizona and up through Utah and Idaho (steepest grades were maybe 8%) We had one stretch in New Mexico on some long 6% grades where the engine heated up (outside temp was about 100 degrees) but never got into the red. Then through Yellowstone onto Sturgis where we drove on HWY 14. Very winding and steep. Up to 12% grade. The truck pulled my fully loaded (Harley Roadking & Outlander MAX ATV) trailer with no problems at all. The only negative thing is that gas motors have poor engine braking for going down hills. My brakes did take their toll. I never was forced to drive way below the speed limit due to low power. And on straight flat runs, I have the cruise set at 70. After Sturgis 1000 miles home at 70+ mph the whole way. Next trip was to WV. Again fully loaded with my Harley and ATV. Very up and down terrain with grades as high as 12%. Again, no problems at all. We have been subjected to all kinds of weather hot, cold, high winds, rain, snow and the trailer tows beautifully. Would it tow easier with a 3/4 or 1 ton PU with a big diesel? Of course it would. But I don't need it. We are leaving for Bike Week in Daytona again in 4 weeks (2700 miles RT). I have no doubts our trip will be safe and comfortable. If I go to a bigger heavier trailer I will no doubt be needing a bigger truck. Until then , my F150 Ecoboost rocks!

The F-150 Ecoboost V6 is one great puller...it pulls and performs as well as my Hemi V-8.

Have you had any issues with your Eco making engine oil on the dipstick?

priorguy

Glad to hear it's working well for you. I never understand why some people think you need a 3/4 ton diesel truck to pull a small to mid sized trailer. Manufacturers are catering to the half ton market now with trailers that compete for size and features in a lighter package. The days of the "Family Truckster" house pulling station wagons have been replaced with the half ton crew can truck. Like you I wouldn't go much bigger but it works great for what I have now. And it's more user and wallet friendly when not towing.

As a side note, the 2014 Chevy/GMC half ton trucks can pull 12,000 pounds properly equipped upping the ante yet again. That will RAM and Ford do next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The F-150 Ecoboost V6 is one great puller...it pulls and performs as well as my Hemi V-8.

Have you had any issues with your Eco making engine oil on the dipstick?

I change the oil when it's required. Ford recommends a synthetic blend but I am a long time user of Mobil 1 full synthetic. It runs a bit more but I think it's worth it. Every time I have the oil changed I look at the oil, and dipstick. The oil always looks new. I have had no issues with anything on this truck with the exception brakes. A 6000 mile trip up and down steep mountain grades ate them up. I would love to get some kind of compression release for going down hill. One of these days I'll research that...lol.

I'm glad the F150 is working for you. My biggest concern with my old F250 was the stopping not the pulling. With my new truck - Ram 3500 dually max tow package - I can let off the gas on the highway and it will slow down to 30mph without ever touching the brakes. I have attached the weight tickets with the trailer and my old F250. One is loaded with a rzr and one is unloaded. Both are over the rating of the F150.

Attachments

• 20130807_221501.jpg
    20130807_221501.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 44