Torque for Axle-Spring U-Bolts?

wdk450

Gang:
I went all through the online manuals, through my copy of the Lippert Axles manual, did a search on the forum on "U-Bolts" and "Torque" (It didn't help that "Torque" is a Heartland Model), and didn't find the torque spec for my 2008 Bighorn with Lippert Axles for the spring-axle U-bolt nuts. I think that this is something that is supposed to be checked on a regular basis, so that info SHOULD be readily available.

Maybe a torque specs table would be a good addition to the online "Manuals" section under the "Tools" tab.

rhodies1

Gang:
I went all through the online manuals, through my copy of the Lippert Axles manual, did a search on the forum on "U-Bolts" and "Torque" (It didn't help that "Torque" is a Heartland Model), and didn't find the torque spec for my 2008 Bighorn with Lippert Axles for the spring-axle U-bolt nuts. I think that this is something that is supposed to be checked on a regular basis, so that info SHOULD be readily available.

Maybe a torque specs table would be a good addition to the online "Manuals" section under the "Tools" tab.

U bolts are grade 5 spec,if your u bolts are 1/2 inch then the torque will be between 70 and 80 ft lbs..
if 9 /16 u bolts then it will be 80 to 90 ft lbs. do not overtighten your u bolts-you will stretch the threads if you over torque and they they will come loose,possibly allowing your spring to move out of place.
This is the info I received from Dexter when I replaced my springs.

danemayer

Hi Bill,

Is this what you're looking for?

Attachments

• Lippert Suspension Torque Guide.pdf
    150 KB · Views: 73

wdk450

Bill,

It's in the Lippert Master Towable Manual in the Manufactuer Collections folder. The content is so broad that it really doesn't fit in any other category.

Dan:
I started through the "Lippert Master Towable" document in our "Tools, Manuals" section, and thought I was reading the Lippert axles manual (again) that I already have printed out.

Thanks for the help!!!

WillyBill

When installing new u-bolts, first torque and then pound on them with a 3 lb. hammer around the radius where they wrap around the axle after then re-torque. Re-torque again after first trip as they will "settle in" and usually loosen up a bit.

WB

wdk450

When installing new u-bolts, first torque and then pound on them with a 3 lb. hammer around the radius where they wrap around the axle after then re-torque. Re-torque again after first trip as they will "settle in" and usually loosen up a bit.

WB

Thanks for that advice. I am now about 600 miles North and have some free time to check this.