Tow Golf cart behind a 5th wheel trailer landmark key largo

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
By far the best way is with an Idaho Tote. Of course, it is the most expensive, but well worth the money. You may also want to look at Swivel Wheel. A decent alternative and a lot cheaper.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This is the "wet blanket" part of this. It will void any frame warranty you have and depending on how it attaches to frame it can remove pin weight. If you remove too much pin weight, you might have an unstable towing 5'er. If it's a ball type hitch...you will be double towing. So you need to find out if it's legal in your state. Some states have a 65' axle to axle length law also. You may need a different endorsement on your driver license. Things to ponder. JMHO

macjj

I agree with Ladyshoe2. I bought an Idaho Tote to tow my golf cart + bikes + generator behind my 3070RL. Just got off a 13k mi trip across 13 States, no issues till I got to California. Laws changed here, he did not cite me for having the "extended trailer", but noted I needed a "RV Endorsement" on my Class C as the fifth wheel was over 10,000lbs. Sure enough the laws here changed, but the DMV has yet to catch up. They couldn't figure out how to accommodate, so I applied for a Class A Non Commercial

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

I agree with Ladyshoe2. I bought an Idaho Tote to tow my golf cart + bikes + generator behind my 3070RL. Just got off a 13k mi trip across 13 States, no issues till I got to California. Laws changed here, he did not cite me for having the "extended trailer", but noted I needed a "RV Endorsement" on my Class C as the fifth wheel was over 10,000lbs. Sure enough the laws here changed, but the DMV has yet to catch up. They couldn't figure out how to accommodate, so I applied for a Class A Non Commercial

That law is not new and has been in effect for many, many years. At least 15 years that I know of. BTW, DMV makes the laws...not the CHP.

macjj

If it been a law for"many years" how come the DMV has no idea how to issue it?

I researched the "laws" prior to 2015, and found no reference to a RV Endorsement, however I see if I still have the old regs and review, I may have missed something. .

Bob&Patty

Jay, the endorsment's are for trailer weights.

up to 10K....no endorsment

10001# to 15000K....endorsment to your class "C" (you need this for your coach).

15001K and over....a class "A" non-commercial is required.

Good luck with a DMV employee knowing what you are asking for.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hey ladyshoe12. We live in NC also and have been thinking about the swivel wheel also thought about towing my golf car on a trailer behind our Landmark. There seems to be alot of confusion here in NC about the legality of using either one. So i called the NCHP and asked them. It is illegal to tow a trailer behind your 5th wheel in NC. So i asked them about the swivel wheel. I even ask the gentlemen to go on line to the swivel wheel website. After seeing the swivel wheel he said that it was also considered a trailer because of the wheels and that i could be ticketed. He said leave the wheels off and there would not be a problem. So i decided not to purchase the swivel wheel. Lots of folks do triple tow in NC ,and never have a problem. Just thought i would pass that along to you.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
That law is not new and has been in effect for many, many years. At least 15 years that I know of. BTW, DMV makes the laws...not the CHP.

Actually, the legislature makes the laws, DMV administers the vehicle and driver programs, and CHP enforces the laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macjj

Come to find out, the RV Endorsement has been around since at least 2011. Only listed (that I have fond) in the RV Handbook page 12. The CA Vehicle code, the CA Driver handbook, the Commercial Drivers Handbook and the RV handbook (DL requirements) before 2015 did not specify. The outcome of my application is 4 DMV offices I visited had NO idea how to address. I called to set up an appointment for the Class A Drive test, I was directed to three location in ElCajon, only one was correct. That one told me I could not be tested unless my rig had a GVWR of greater than 15000 lbs (as specified by the manufacture). They sent me to another place, and they issued me a "restriction" (vs. enforcement) to drive a 5th Wheel greater than 10000 but less than 15000 lbs. Now to see how the CHP (which enforces the regs.) responses to that

Bob&Patty

Jim, I went to the DMV in Temecula 4 D&%@ times and no one and I mean no one knew what I was talking about. I called the CHP here in town several times on purpose and got a different answer each time to the same question. Screwed up system...ya think. Our taxes pay for this stupidity???

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Many laws are obscure and seldom if ever enforced. Sounds like this is the case with this one.