Tow Max...is it just me?

cjmach1

Here are pictures of one of my Tow Max tires from this weekend. Lucky someone following me noticed the buldge before it blew!

Tire 2.jpgTire 3.jpgTire 1.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow! What a bulge! And on the inside edge, too! Be sure to contact Tredit or TBC warranty department and send pictures. They'll offer to replace it, I'm sure. But I bet you'll start looking for another brand. You can ask for $$ instead, but it will be cost rather than retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tool958

Here are pictures of one of my Tow Max tires from this weekend. Lucky someone following me noticed the buldge before it blew!

View attachment 21083View attachment 21084View attachment 21082

That is exactly the same spot where ours let go on I-25 headed to Denver. We were lucky that the inner belts didn't go too. It was a slow leak and happened that it went low at a fuel stop. That was about two weeks ago and we didn't receive a new tire or get compensated for part of the new set we put on. Good luck with getting something out of them. So far we've seen nothing after talking to the company three times. These tires also had less than 5000 miles on them.

Tool958

That is exactly what 2 of mine did and both were on the inside also with less then 3000 miles.

Seems to be a pattern here. I said ours had less than 5000 miles on them. I would say, just guessing, they were closer to the mileage on your tires, roughly around 3000 miles or so.

DW_Gray

Carlisle - 214 complaints? After more digging, I found 265 trailer tire complaints of all trailer models made. A closer evaluation will show that the vast majority of the tires were made prior to 2010. Some of the complaints were too vague to determine. I read one complaint about a 2011 tire, but by reading the summery it appeared more suspect to a road hazard than a defect.

The Guangdong Meiyan Tires Co., Ltd. of China has been operated as a subsidiary of Carlisle Tire & Wheel Company since 2007. That is one reason the trailer tires have improved since 2009. According to the Carlise’s latest business report, they plan to move that entire operation to Clinton, TN. Since taking control of the China plant, they have been able to oversee that the tires meet or exceed DOT requirements.

I purchased 6 Carlisle Radial Trail RH, ST235/80R16 made after 2009. I paid less than a $1,000 for 6 tires at Discount Tires including the hazard warranty. Goodyear tire and some others may be better, but I just couldn't justify the price of those when the failure rate of Carlisle tires made since 2009 were about the same according to NHTSA.

TravelTiger

We had good results contacting TBC.

Here is whom I dealt with:

Aimee Walton
<awalton@tbcbrands.com>

cjmach1

We had good results contacting TBC.

Here is whom I dealt with:

Aimee Walton
<awalton@tbcbrands.com>

Contacted TBC they set me up with an NTB shop close by. I now have 2 tires with bulges and 1 with the entire center tread section bulging. Looks like I have a new set of tires in my future! Thinking about the Goodyear G614 but they are pricey. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Based on your pictures, I think those wheels can't handle the higher 110 psi the G614s need.

We put on Maxxis, have 12k on them this year, very happy. Our rig weighs about 13425 loaded.

RuralPastor

Update:

Today, we just replaced the Blowmaxes with Maxxis Load Range E. We tracked down a dealer in Billings, MT. Kind of an overkill for my trailer, but the peace of mind is priceless. Okay, it cost $652 for four tires. Cheap. We just arrived in Sheridan. The 2 hour pull from Billings gave a nice little test for the new tires. I can tell a difference. It may be that I'm running 75 psi vs. 65 with the Blowmax tires.

B

BouseBill

RuralPastor, I don't think it's just you....I had the same feeling as you until last Friday the 7th of September. At 10:00a.m. we picked up our BC at the dealership in Las Vegas after a three week wait while they did a load of warranty work. I had one of the service techs check the tires since the RV had been sitting there for 3 weeks, watched him check and air the tires up, then he was kind enough to air the truck tires up also. Afterwards before leaving the lot I also checked the towmax tires with MY gauge. We had driven less than 15 miles when a trucker waved us down pointing to the rig.....I did not feel a thing. Other than delivery miles from the factory to the dealership in Vegas we have put less than 1,000 miles on these tires.
We stayed Friday night at the Sams Town RV Park there on Boulder Highway next to a 38' Big Country...The next morning the owner of that rig came over to see how we like the BC overall.....started in on the tires in the back of the truck which I kept all 5. His rig also came with "blowmax" tires and on the way out from Dallas Tx.....yep he lost three.....
We were lucky in that the tread separation caused very very little damage.
We now have 5 new Goodyear tires on the rig

Attachments

• 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 96
  • 015a.jpg
    015a.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 89

TireHobby

According to the specs for Big Country models, Heartland is using the ST235/80R16E for both 6000# and 7000# axles. Perfectly legal and within the minimum requirement for the 7000# axles. However, a caveat is required. Heartland MUST inform NHTSA by letter when using the 3520# ST tire on the 7000# axles because there are others with the exact same size identification with less load capacity, ie; 3420#, and they cannot be used on those axles.

TireHobby

TravelTiger

Tire Hobby,

Why can't 3420# capacity tires be used on 7k axles? I think you mean they shouldn't be used, as they could max out before the rating of the axle?

In my case, our rig (GVWR 14350) had 6K axles. Upgraded to 7K, but wheels limit us to 3580# and 80psi. We went with Maxxis tires which are 3420#, because they had the best reputation, and knowing we would not max their weight rating.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have not put enough mileage on my current rig to comment ( they have the China Bombs ) but my SOB came with US made Goodyear tires back when it was new in 1999. Keep in mind that that SOB was only 3T soaking wet - but I did get nearly 65,000 miles out of the original tires before I had to change them out. and that was because there was no more tread on them. I would not expect the same from any of today's tires on my new rig ( more 2.5x the weight ) and tires today seem to wear out faster, that goes for my truck as well as I suspect my trailer...

Oh Dam - I sound like my father, products are not made as well as they were when I was young!!! :)

Last edited: