Tow Max...is it just me?

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
We got hit Saturday, had stopped and checked less than 60 miles prior. Entire tread blew off about 15,000 on them. Thankfully it did not occur on our way to Gilette Rally.

TireHobby

Tire Hobby,

Why can't 3420# capacity tires be used on 7k axles? I think you mean they shouldn't be used, as they could max out before the rating of the axle?

In my case, our rig (GVWR 14350) had 6K axles. Upgraded to 7K, but wheels limit us to 3580# and 80psi. We went with Maxxis tires which are 3420#, because they had the best reputation, and knowing we would not max their weight rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got me. I’ll rephrase my statement.

The official axel ratings are found on the vehicle’s certification label. That label will be displayed somewhere on the LH side of the forward exterior section of the trailer.

Tire size and load capacity fitment are driven by the vehicle’s certified GAWR. If the OE tires were fitted to a GAWR of 6000# found on the vehicle certification label they are the minimum standard requirement for that trailer regardless of upgrading to 7000# axles. Owner upgrades do nothing for the vehicle’s GVWR.

TireHobby

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok, I wanted to make sure I understood what the statement was intended to convey. FWIW, we weren't trying to increase our carry capacity, just didn't care for the issues we were having with Lippert's axles and springs. Wanted something that would hold up to the usage. We've been very pleased with our Dexter axles.

cjmach1

Looked all over the rim for a PSI rating and the only thing I could find that could be the PSI rating was "125" stamped on the inside of the rim. Seems like everyone on the forum likes the Maxxis so I might go with them instead. I am going to weigh each axle position this weekend and find the true weight of my trailer loaded.

TravelTiger

Cjmach,

You can contact Tredit directly with your trailer vin, they may be able to tell you the psi rating that way. You can also look at their site to match your wheel to those there, which may list the psi rating.

danemayer

I am going to weigh each axle position this weekend and find the true weight of my trailer loaded.

Good move. I'm guessing that only a small fraction of owners actually weigh their rigs. And I think I've only ever seen one post where someone admitted to having overloaded the trailer axles and tires. Given how many posts there are where people admit to putting more pin weight on their truck than it's spec'd for, I'd guess a whole lot of us are also overloading the trailer axles and tires.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I took a really close look at my TowMAX tires today when I was having one of them replaced with a Goodyear Marathon ) because I did not like the way it had worn. Turns out that all of my tires are wearing out - and I can not blame anyone but me! They were all 15+ lbs under pressure. I never completely setup my TPS (IE: I did not hard wire it and mount it ) so I have not been using it... Expensive Lesson - if you have the tools - use them.... at least I only destroyed the tires that I was going to replace... just not until next year!!! I see 4 more Goodyear Tires before the next rally!!! and a completely installed and operational TPS!! I'm just thankful that I did not loose any of these tires on the road!!!

Kevin

cjmach1

Haven't been able to locate Maxxis tires here in my home town. Anyone have any information or experience with Carlise tires?

TravelTiger

You can ask a local Tire-Pro affiliate to order them, also Discount Tire can get them, online as well.

Wmnmy

Haven't been able to locate Maxxis tires here in my home town. Anyone have any information or experience with Carlise tires?
I will let you know in a week traveling 5000 miles from west coast to east cost and back got rid of china bombs 2500 miles they looked like cartoon tires bulges and cracking tread was seperating and I only went on four outings since I bought my cyclone new end of 2010 those china things are not safe I didn't bother calling treadit just wanted to be rid of them got a great deal on five at Big o tires have been on two outings since and the Carlisle tires look brand new I keep them at 80 Psi and cover them even though I park under awning out here in las Vegas .

PeternLiane

Good move. I'm guessing that only a small fraction of owners actually weigh their rigs. And I think I've only ever seen one post where someone admitted to having overloaded the trailer axles and tires. Given how many posts there are where people admit to putting more pin weight on their truck than it's spec'd for, I'd guess a whole lot of us are also overloading the trailer axles and tires.

I know it was one great feeling when we got our NT weighed in July. 1500lbs under the limit with everything that we carry , we were very excited to see what we actually weighed. We weighed the NT because we seriously thought that we had over loaded it because the tires were wearing so badly. After we had it weighed we really didn't like how the tires were wearing so we did take it in for the tires, some other simple fixes and for some stuff that we wanted added. After much discovery the found that the tires are wearing very poorly because the axles were off. Lippert didn't want to replace the axles or have the axles aligned. But after much talking Lippert has agreed to replace the axles. They'll have our NT completed next week with everything that we took it in for (mostly on another threads). Now we're just waiting to hear if they'll replace the tires too. We're hoping that they will.

Manzan

PeternLiane, we ran into the same problem with our 21fbs and after the axles were replaced they gave me $65 per tire including the spare upon receipt of a copy of the paid bill. All five ruined by the bent axles. Really did not want their tires again.

TravelTiger

Unfortunately the "wholesale" price is probably what they're offering, you get to pay retail. :(

PeternLiane, we ran into the same problem with our 21fbs and after the axles were replaced they gave me $65 per tire including the spare upon receipt of a copy of the paid bill. All five ruined by the bent axles. Really did not want their tires again.

Hmmm. I wish I had been on this earlier. We apparently hit something and blew a tire on our NT. Okay, we were told there is no way we can know if we just had a blow out or we hit something. Now after reading these posts... I wonder.

We had NO IDEA, and by the time someone stopped us and pointed to the tires, there was almost no tire left, and the Rim was badly damaged. We have now noticed unusual wear on the other three tires. someone looking at them said it appears to be axle misalignment. I've called all over the Memphis area and can find no one who will check the alignment short of paying $60 to an RV place in MS. I guess we must.

Now, I've paid over $200 for a new rim and fender skirt damaged from the blow out. I would love to know at what point Lippert is responsible. We had to have Lippert replace the axle on our previous TT, an MPG. Any help?

Also, we were told by the HL rep to replace our stock tires with the same tire only RADIALS. The specs name the tires as being radials, but the are not equipped that way. Shall I go with the TowMax radials? OR the Maxxis as I see here? Thanks so much...

CALLING JAMES CLEEVE, DID YOU REPLACE YOUR TIRES???? :)

Angie
Trip to Dega.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-1010_rim.jpg
    2012-1010_rim.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: