Tow Max...is it just me?

scottyb

rgwilliams69, Congratulations on your new 4100. I just returned from a 2600 mi trip with mine and we have loved it.

When you see the photos and read the many many reports here about Towmax blowing out with very low mileage and even with light loads, you have to ask yourself if it is worth the risk of getting stranded and having a costly and lengthy repair done to your new coach. I chose not to take the chance. There was a nearly new Big Horn at the dealer with the whole side ripped out last time I was there and guess what tires it had on it.

BTW, the tank valves on mine are F-B Black, Gray 1 (Bathroom), Gray 2 (Kitchen).

tireman9

My question (honest one, new to this forum and picking up my Cyclone 4100 tomorrow) is: if these tires are so bad and Heartland monitors this forum and other sources, why are they still being used on new RVs? I would have the same questions for other manufacturers also. I'm leaning loosely towards immediate replacement, but that's a $2k expense I hadn't counted on.

Reasonable question. I think you will better understand one of the primary reasons "Bad tires are on the road" if you read this Blog post.

RuralPastor

I think the heavier rigs are potentially more apt to have tire issues with pretty much any Chinese made tires. We don't seem to hear about as many issues with the lighter travel trailers. Even the US made tires aren't blow out proof. Be diligent with air pressures and keep on campin. When you feel the time is right, Maxxis would be my suggestion for your rig.
Travel Safe!

Ray, kind of a late follow up to this old thread I started, but a week after I wrote this I lost two wheel bearings (separate axles) and ended up replacing both axles with 6,000 pound (versus 4,000 pound). I remembered your advice to get Maxxis tires, so I did. I haven't looked back. Those tires are serving us very well. Thanks. PS: We're just south of you a bit.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Reasonable question. I think you will better understand one of the primary reasons "Bad tires are on the road" if you read this Blog post.
That's an interesting read.
I wonder how many people that have had blowouts actually filed the NHTSA complaint form.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

This is one of the reasons I advise any potential new rig buyers to buy a bunch of upgrades (tires, hitch, suspension, more batteries, TPMS, etc.), have the dealer install them if the factory won't, and roll them into the rig financing. It's a lot harder to come up with the upgrade cash later in your RVing life, and a lot less frustrating avoiding breakdowns.

rgwilliams69

An update from us - when we picked up our Cyclone we only had three trips left for the year, about 1200 miles in all. Went ahead and took the trips on the stock Towmax but I checked them every time I stopped and checked pressures at least once per day. No drops at all from 80 psi and no problems with the tires. I think I have decided to install a TPMS on the 6 tires and try our Florida trip in February to watch closely what is going on as we tow. Any deviations at all and I will just go ahead and change them out, but again I hate to part with that $2k. So far I really, really (really) love the Heartland product from functionality to fit and finish. It is noticeably better assembled and quality assured - both in materials and workmanship - than the high end Keystone Alpine we replaced. From that perspective I find it quite puzzling that I continue to see posts where people spend big dollars on these rigs and then spend an incredible amount of additional dollars changing out brand new components with new tires, wheels, axles, pinbox, suspension, etc. in the name of safety. I expect the manufacturer to engineer their products ready to go from both a safety and functional point, and so far it looks like Heartland is keeping that promise. Even our PDI was nearly flawless. If all of the "immediate replace" components are really that bad, why would Heartland use them in the first place? Most of them, as I understand, are components from very reputable companies like Lippert et al that are used almost universally across many TT and 5th wheel brands. Please don't think I am criticizing with this post, I am just truly trying to understand. Does Heartland themselves ever comment on these components and the need to replace some of them right out the door?

I am extremely happy with our Cyclone 4100 King thus far and hope (and actually expect) to remain that way. Maybe I'm just a lucky guy. :)

Bksvo

rgwilliams,

To offer you some perspective, I balanced my tires as soon as I took delivery. I installed a TPMS. I took good care of my tires and kept an eye on them constantly, hoping to avoid problems. I operate 2k lbs under gross. After 6k miles I had one Towmax seperate a belt, but caught it before it could do any damage. OK, I thought, what are the odds? 2k miles later, I had another throw the tread, just 10 miles after leaving home, causing $2600 in damage, plus the cost of 6 new tires...Suddenly spending the money to put on good tires earlier would have been cheaper than wait and see.

I think these Towmax tires are probably OK for someone that doesn't tow much. Sounds like you put on a lot of miles. I would look at them like time bombs waiting to go off. YMMV.

scottyb

rgwilliams, we all try to evalutae, prioritize, and make the choices that we feel are best for us. Good luck and it sounds like you are enjoying your 4100 as much as we are.

rgwilliams69

Thanks scottyb and Bksvo - I really didn't want to come off as griping in that post and apologize if I did. I've just been in the user biz for a while and am always active on the associated forums, first time I have ever gotten so much advice on immediate safety replacements is all. Blsvo based on your comment I think I am over the edge on adding new tires my TPMS plans over the winter. You were doing exactly what I planned and they still got you. I do a lot of miles, just counted up last night with my neighbor and we did 87 nights total this year and over 10,000 miles following those dang race cars. Working full time (my wife and I) and doing that kind of moving I can't afford any down time, so guess I will pop on the tires and put a hold on some other plans in the $2k neighborhood. Thanks everyone for the help and feedback, I think I'm convinced. :)

tireman9

Interesting that even with all the posts on this and other threads there does not appear to be a single complaint on file with NHTSA on Tow Max brand tires. No complaints = No investigation. No Investigation = No findings. No findings mean No recall or action from the tire manufacturer to improve the quality of the product.
Maybe this is why "bad" tires are on the road. Wasn't it Pogo who said "We have met the enemy and he is us"

dfk009

On your website go to Power King, then click on Towmax. You will find 5 complaints, but where are all the people that have complained on this forum?

Phatkd

You guys/gals have me all freaked out now. I know that our BH was towed from Indiana to Edmonton, Alberta. And I have looked at the Towmax tires that are on it (Still sitting in the service bay waiting for some extras to be installed before our PDI). I am going to get a good TPMS before I go on any trips with it. I called a tire shop today here, and I would be paying $2500 installed and balanced for a set of 4 GY G614's. YIKES!!!!

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
You guys/gals have me all freaked out now. I know that our BH was towed from Indiana to Edmonton, Alberta. And I have looked at the Towmax tires that are on it (Still sitting in the service bay waiting for some extras to be installed before our PDI). I am going to get a good TPMS before I go on any trips with it. I called a tire shop today here, and I would be paying $2500 installed and balanced for a set of 4 GY G614's. YIKES!!!!

That's pretty high. You can buy GY G614 mounted on a steel wheel for $330.

Tire monitor won't let you see the common tire failure about to happen with a Towmax. As most of the tire failures have been tread coming off followed by the tiring blowing as a result. You won't see the events leading up to that failure with monitoring the air pressure. At least this particular failure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

sengli

I also was reading these posts and I too now am worried about the tow max tires on my brand new Big Horn. I don't tow very far with my rig, and plan on getting a TPMS system for the dually and the coach. On our tow home from the dealer the tires were unusally hot the first 100 miles or so, then they seemed to break in, and cooled down? Just for the sake of knowing, what do the other brand of trailers use on their coaches? Wonder if they are having any better luck than we are? I know THOR owns just about everyone who makes trailers, so?

caissiel

In Canada I would look for Sailun 734 tires. They are LR Gs and I bet your rims are good for 110lbs. I will never have less then 110 in mine. Less pressure and temperature climbs right up. I wonder how they are getting away with 80Lbs on 3750lbs rating. My Gs air pressure also climbs up when less then Max pressure is not kept,

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

BarneyFife

On your website go to Power King, then click on Towmax. You will find 5 complaints, but where are all the people that have complained on this forum?

I was one of the biggest complainers here regarding the Tow Max tires. I chose to go directly to the distributor: Dynamic Tire in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

Two things I can say now. But I can't say anything else.

1. I'm satisfied with how my situation turned out.

2. I'll never, ever, ever buy another camper if it only comes with Tow Max tires.

Last edited:

tireman9

Interesting that even with all the posts on this and other threads there does not appear to be a single complaint on file with NHTSA on Tow Max brand tires. No complaints = No investigation. No Investigation = No findings. No findings mean No recall or action from the tire manufacturer to improve the quality of the product.
Maybe this is why "bad" tires are on the road. Wasn't it Pogo who said "We have met the enemy and he is us"

Looks like I was wrong. There are in fact 24 complaints on Towmax tires.
The way everyone talked about them I thought that was the tire "brand". Like Goodyear or Firestone are a tire brand. In fact in the NHTSA database they consider them Power King BRAND and Towmax Line made by Cooper tire.

If you want to read some of the poor, incomplete, inaccurate complaints go to the NHTSA complaint web site Select TIRES under "type". Then and you can use the drop down list for tire "BRAND" and select "Power King" from the drop down list. Then use the drop down for Tire Line and select Tow Max.
There you will see most reports don't list size or DOT serial. One is reporting the size as a passenger "P" type while another is reporting problems with LT type on their tow vehicle. Clearly a lot of people have no idea of what tires they have.

Now none of this means I think there are no problems with the Tow Max line however if you look at it from NHTSA viewpoint there maybe only one or two complaints since 2008 that provide useful information.

In a few weeks I will be doing an analysis on these reports as part#3 of my series on "
[h=3]"How to File a Complaint with NHTSA"[/h]
I do stand behind my position that unless or untill there are a number of complete and accurate complaints filed with NHTSA there will certainly be little chance of action.

haulinem

You probably figured this out already but the left valve is the front black tank, middle is grey #1 and right one is grey#2. Also lower your rear couch with the support legs down to make sure they reach the floor. For some reason they were putting the wrong support legs on the Kings initially.

Just pulled our 4100 through IL to Iowa and back to TN over the Christmas holidays. Really cold but the unit performed well. Didn't use any water though since I wasn't sure the underbelly heat would be sufficient with the lows of 2-4 degrees before adding the wind chill.

B

BouseBill

Tireman9 you must be missing something for I know for a fact I filed a complaint and there were others there when I looked.