Tow Max Tires

caissiel

With all my travels on the interstate most 5th wheel trailers are pulled at speeds above 65MPH and I have seen these units passing me like I was stopped and axles bending from the load they are carrying.
No wonder we have tire problems. There was a survey done before autos put TPMS and most vehicles on the road today have underinflated tires. I have had many problems with the GY tires of past and feel that trailer tires are designed for the right purpose, but some of us load them and drive them with high mileage and they will not take the heat like an LT tire with twice the tread and softer sidewall.
My fix in the past was to go to LT tires, but I am sure that the manufactures will shy away from it due to the application they do have to apply. Most RVer I know will traval 100 miles at the most maybe 10 times a year and they have no problem at all. My experience is that the rear tire gets the obsticle that the front tire lifts and gets the puncture and thats the reason I will have 7K axles on my service trailer before I go to tandum, and I never need a spare on a single axle trailer as is indicated by the trailer experts, tandom yes you do need a spare. I usualy let the truck hit the obsticle as I have singles on the truck and protect the trailer tires for that same reason. And we have some of the worst road I ever travel in North America.
An other observation is that most RVer will level the unit with lumber that is to narrow and short. I fully cover my tires 12" wide and full lenght of support to save the tires, and in addition I installed 7500lbs jacks that I take 25/50% of the load of the tires when parked.

Zeman

Just talked to a customer service rep @TCB Brands for a warranty claim on my Towmax STR Powerking tires on my M-22 purchased Feb 2010. All four sidewalls weather checking. Rep seemed pretty put out about taking my info......We'll see......... Not over 6 trips last year all w/in 1 hr of home. Couple trips this year same deal.

Last edited:

skidaddy

Coley,
Just to respond to what you said to Bobby A, I did call youat the number given only to have my call returned by someone else in youroffice that really acted like they could care less and make it a point to tellme that there was nothing Heartland could do. So making the call really did whatexactly? My point is, there are many people on here that have had problems withtheir tires and some have even had extensive damage as a result. I knoweverything is about the bottom dollar and the all mighty profit. But when does someone’ssafety or satisfaction really start to come into play?
My issues with the Mission tires that you say you are unawareof any problems with was like many others, only I caught mine just in the nickof time. Recently on a return trip home with my Big Country fifth wheel, Inoticed a vibration that no one else in the vehicle felt. I say that onlybecause I have been towing combination vehicles over 20 years and have a prettygood feeling when something changes. I pulled over to check things out andheard a slight air leak coming from one of the trailer tires. After changing itwith the spare, I realized it was not punctured, but was actually coming apart.So when I got home, I jacked up my camper and checked the other 3 tires separately.Two of the three were at least a ½ of an inch out of round. I then began to dosome research on new tires only to find out that I had a real chore in front ofme. While trying to find tires, I found out that Mission had gone out of businessand there were many issues with that brand of tire. So I then called Heartland,who put me off to someone else who then put me off to TIRECO, who then was verylittle help at all. TIRECO says that after I spend the money (700.00) to havethem replaced, I can file a claim in which they will have the tires picked up,inspected by their own people, and then pro rate a refund of the MSRP of 92.00for each tire they deem defective. I would like someone to show me where youcan get ST235/80R16 E range tires for 92.00. This would be a good time to tellyou that my camper is less than 2 years old with less than 4000 miles on it.Also I measured the tread and have used less than 1/32” of an inch of tread.After having the tires removed, I found out that I should have played thelottery. Those other 2 tires I spoke of had bubbles all over the inside of themwhere they were already separating and were doomed at any time.So my point to this story is, Heartland made some pretty good statements, but in reality doesn’t feel they should do anything to help even though they still built and sold this product. It does not look good for anyone to have to spend $700.00 and take a whole afternoon of their time at a repair shop less than 2 years after purchasing a trailer to make repairs for in inferior product used by the manufacturer. Heartland should do better than this. As a result, even though I do like my Heartland Big Country, I will probably be looking elsewhere when I do my 3 year replacement. Yes, I get a new camper every 3 years and this will leave a mark with me. I told your representative who really seemed like he had a “so what” attitude, when you do the right thing people will tell a few other people, but when you do the wrong thing people will tell everybody.

Last edited:

odie

Coley,
Just to respond to what you said to Bobby A, I did call youat the number given only to have my call returned by someone else in youroffice that really acted like they could care less and make it a point to tellme that there was nothing Heartland could do. So making the call really did whatexactly? My point is, there are many people on here that have had problems withtheir tires and some have even had extensive damage as a result. I knoweverything is about the bottom dollar and the all mighty profit. But when does someone’ssafety or satisfaction really start to come into play?
My issues with the Mission tires that you say you are unawareof any problems with was like many others, only I caught mine just in the nickof time. Recently on a return trip home with my Big Country fifth wheel, Inoticed a vibration that no one else in the vehicle felt. I say that onlybecause I have been towing combination vehicles over 20 years and have a prettygood feeling when something changes. I pulled over to check things out andheard a slight air leak coming from one of the trailer tires. After changing itwith the spare, I realized it was not punctured, but was actually coming apart.So when I got home, I jacked up my camper and checked the other 3 tires separately.Two of the three were at least a ½ of an inch out of round. I then began to dosome research on new tires only to find out that I had a real chore in front ofme. While trying to find tires, I found out that Mission had gone out of businessand there were many issues with that brand of tire. So I then called Heartland,who put me off to someone else who then put me off to TIRECO, who then was verylittle help at all. TIRECO says that after I spend the money (700.00) to havethem replaced, I can file a claim in which they will have the tires picked up,inspected by their own people, and then pro rate a refund of the MSRP of 92.00for each tire they deem defective. I would like someone to show me where youcan get ST235/80R16 E range tires for 92.00. This would be a good time to tellyou that my camper is less than 2 years old with less than 4000 miles on it.Also I measured the tread and have used less than 1/32” of an inch of tread.After having the tires removed, I found out that I should have played thelottery. Those other 2 tires I spoke of had bubbles all over the inside of themwhere they were already separating and were doomed at any time.So my point to this story is, Heartland made some pretty good statements, but in reality doesn’t feel they should do anything to help even though they still built and sold this product. It does not look good for anyone to have to spend $700.00 and take a whole afternoon of their time at a repair shop less than 2 years after purchasing a trailer to make repairs for in inferior product used by the manufacturer. Heartland should do better than this. As a result, even though I do like my Heartland Big Country, I will probably be looking elsewhere when I do my 3 year replacement. Yes, I get a new camper every 3 years and this will leave a mark with me. I told your representative who really seemed like he had a “so what” attitude, when you do the right thing people will tell a few other people, but when you do the wrong thing people will tell everybody.

Once again it is lowest common denominator. I have seen this with many brands, builders etc. Glitz something here and there but than go cheap in another.

As a person working the medical field and works half my time in a ER it is amazing how accidents occure on the road. Three things that help seatbelts, brakes and working tires. The one thing that causes more accidents due to a failure....tires. One thing that should never be cheap.

caissiel

I can almost garrantee that with my observation of the outside of an RV instead of the inside like every one does, that Heartland has the best equipment as far as axles and tires. I do compare all units from other manufacurer and seldom find better axles then I have for my unit. It was the reason bought our unit and the wife chose the interior, I absolutely had nothing to do with the decor.

I have seen 15K GVWR units all summer with 6K axles. And the owners tell me that 15K is nothing because their units are much heavyer. I love to hear the stories and just grin as there is no way the equipement they have is build for the weight they are telling me, It might be true,so here is no wonder the other manufacturers don't bother installing heavier axles due to owners overloading the units, better break an axle then breaking a frame.

Maggiemay

Wish I would have know about the tire assistance sooner. We purchased a 2011 cyclone 3612 tri-axle, have less than 1000 miles on trailer. This past weekend we had a blow out of the center towmax tire. Completely blew off the rim, one sidewall is completely missing. We were lucky that nobody got hurt. Air pressure was checked 30 miles before the blowout, and was at recommended psi.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wish I would have know about the tire assistance sooner. We purchased a 2011 cyclone 3612 tri-axle, have less than 1000 miles on trailer. This past weekend we had a blow out of the center towmax tire. Completely blew off the rim, one sidewall is completely missing. We were lucky that nobody got hurt. Air pressure was checked 30 miles before the blowout, and was at recommended psi.

Be sure to call Tredit or the tire manufacturer, they may have some warranty/reimbursement available.

E