Towing 31BHDD with Expedition?

Hi,

I am close to pulling the trigger on either a 31BHDD or 28BRS and wanted to run a quick sanity check on this forum . My heart is set on the 31BHDD but first wanted to check here if my assumptions for how feasible it is to tow this rig were correct based on these numbers

Dry Weight per sticker 6800
+Our Stuff 1000
=Total TT Weight 7800

GCWR 15000 - 6600 Expy with passengers = 8400 lbs left for TT

Per the brochure the total dry weight to hitch weight ratio on the 31BHDD is 6399/652 = .1019 . If I apply that same weight distribution ratio to a loaded coach then that would mean a hitch weight of 794 which comes under the 920 lbs limit.

I would be using a WD hitch and our Expy has the 310hp 5.4, heavy duty tow pkg , 3.73 gears, and auto rear leveling suspension.

Do you think I am overloading the SUV?

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

priorguy

You have a bit of margin. But what extra weight will you add to the TT and TV while travelling? Factor in a tank of water, propane etc. and you could quickly be overloaded. I'm partial to the 28BRS as it left me plenty of room for whatever I want to put in the truck or trailer. Lots of room if I'm shopping for deals in the lower 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our stuff on a typical trip would consist of the following ...

300 lbs of fresh water in the tank
80 lbs in propane including the tanks
180 lbs in luggage
100 lbs for batteries
150 lbs misc. supplies and food
100 lbs for WD hitch
90 lbs for 2 yamaha ef2000 generators combined (probably mounted in expandable bike rack)

I am new to this camping thing, so not sure I am forgetting heavy items that could impact the carrying weight considerably

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
How about toys, bikes, firewood, chairs, bedding, tools, water in the water heater and waterlines, Kitchen supplies, such as cups, plates, cooking utensils, pots, pans, etc.

wehavefun

Your Expedition is equivalent to a 3/4 ton truck.

The only slight problem you may encounter is the 5.4 might be a bit underpowered for big hills. Good engine, but you will have quite a bit of weight.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Pulled our first North Trail with a 5.4L F250. No problems what so ever. It did have the 4:10 ratio.

priorguy

TxLonghorn, you've obviously done some research as you've taken a lot into consideration. What WD hitch to you plan to use? There are a lot if options out there so do your research and ask all the questions you can.

I have a friend that pulled a 28 SOB TT with a 4.6L V8 Explorer. The only time he had an issue was bringing two extra people (in-laws) other then his family if 5 and a bunch if their stuff. Every other regular trip it was fine.

Happy camping.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My concern would be wheelbase length to trailer ratio. This chart floats around the internet, but not sure it's exact origination. I have seen first hand the results of a long trailer fish-tailing and dragging the SUV tow-vehicle off the road. Not pretty!

Screen shot 2014-02-28 at 9.11.02 AM.jpg

Erika

TxLonghorn, you've obviously done some research as you've taken a lot into consideration. What WD hitch to you plan to use? There are a lot if options out there so do your research and ask all the questions you can.

I have a friend that pulled a 28 SOB TT with a 4.6L V8 Explorer. The only time he had an issue was bringing two extra people (in-laws) other then his family if 5 and a bunch if their stuff. Every other regular trip it was fine.

Happy camping.

I will probably go with the Equal-I-zer with 4pt sway control since that is readily available from the dealers where I would be getting the trailer from. Although I wonder if going to a more expensive hitch like the Hensley or the propride would give me a bit more stability given the short wheelbase

priorguy

The Expedition does have a decent wheel base, especially with the extended max version. In fact the extra rear weight has more stability than a pickup I'd assume.

You will definitely be more stable with a Hensley or a ProPride. Many will state they are happy with the equalizer or Reese dual-cam as well.

I'm happy with round bar WD and friction sway so far.

On etrailer.com an equalizer is about $500 and a Hensley is about $2500 last time I checked and ProPride is a bit less. I think it depends on your budget and what you're willing to try.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I pull my 31BDSS North Trail with a chevy 1500 4wd ext. cab. 5.3 L. I am close or at full load weight and use an equal-I-zer hitch.
I would choose an equal-I-zer again as I have been very happy with it and do not have sway issues.