Towing a Big Horn

Paul & Nan

We have a 2003 chevy 2500 HD duramax with a pacbrake installed, pulling our brand new 3670RL with no problems. Have goodyear G614 RST tires on it with a 5th airborne pin box. My truck is rated to tow 15300 trailer weight. Duallies will generally two about 300-500 lbs less due to the dual tires. Just watch your weight and above all....have your tires balanced (very important). You should have no problems.

imchud

Well, on the lighter side... :rolleyes: ...and God forbid, If your Ford and/or Chevy ever get stuck while towing your coachs, I could always pull you out with my 2500 05 Dodge turbo diesel:eek:

Tommy

Dodge makes it, Cummins shakes it.....

Gary Steeves

I pulled Mt. Rushmore with my 2005 Chev for a year, then downsized to the 3370RL due to many reasons stated by others as far as insurance and being a bit over weight in most categories. I am right where I want to be with my current configuration (see signature lines below), live in the Appalachian mtns. (lower elevations than the western mtns) with plenty of hills to climb / descend. I am a "happy camper".

regan

Regan
I tow my 3400RL with a 2008 2500 HD Duramax. I did put airbags on it which helped alot. I frequently pull over a pass (Santiam), as from Bend, Oregon to get to the valley you have to cross the Cascade range. Never a problem with brakes etc. I like the factory brake controller that GM provides. I have had instances when I did have to "slam" on brakes, using the controller we had no problems. The Allison transmission is great!! and seems in its element when pulling the Bighorn. My only complaint isnt the ride or braking, its the size of the fuel tank. I am changing it out to a 45 gallon, the stock tank just doesnt give you a good range.

Northern Virginia
I tow my 3400RL with a 2008 2500 HD Duramax. I did put airbags on it which helped alot. I frequently pull over a pass (Santiam), as from Bend, Oregon to get to the valley you have to cross the Cascade range. Never a problem with brakes etc. I like the factory brake controller that GM provides. I have had instances when I did have to "slam" on brakes, using the controller we had no problems. The Allison transmission is great!! and seems in its element when pulling the Bighorn. My only complaint isnt the ride or braking, its the size of the fuel tank. I am changing it out to a 45 gallon, the stock tank just doesnt give you a good range.

I agree 100% with your assesment. I love my GMC and the the sole complaint is also that the 26 gallon tank is way too small. Not to highjack this thread but what are you considering in regards to the 45 gallon tank?

John

Pulltab

Do your math and check your weights, chances are you will be overweight. Why risk your life and someone elses on a few thousand dollars.

regan

Regan
I agree you have to watch the weights, I do not tow full of fresh water, or have full holding tanks. If you use common sense you can keep weights well within factory specs. My truck has a trailer weight of limit of 13,600 lbs. Bighorn is 11,500 dry. Dont overload your trailer! The Chev. Duramax has a combined weight of 22,000. Again common sense you can easily stay within specs. Each has to make own decision. I have been rving for several years, had an Alfa before, same weight, I tow in the mountains ALOT. But again each needs to make their own decision.

Bighorn brochure ad