Towing capacity with 3160 Elite

srae

We have a 2500HD Chevy Silverado with towing capacity of 15,300 lbs. The GVW on truck is 9,200; the front GAWR is 4,500 and the rear GAWR 6,084. We are purchasing a 2015 3160 Elite with dry weight of 13,125. My question, if I have given enough info, does my truck have sufficient capacity to handle this 5th wheel.

Thanks.

Srae

iawoody2

No. With the weight of the truck with fuel, hitch, supplies, and people, plus somewhere around 2800 in pin weight you are looking at a 3500 srw at the least and better with a dually. Dry weight doesn't really mean much, look at closer at the gvw of the 5er.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You should consider visiting http://fifthwheelst.com/ They offer a good education and what numbers you need to know to compute if your tow vehicle can handle the rig you are considering.

It happens to be run by a fellow Heartland Owner!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You did not state what year and drive train is in your truck. I think the 3160 has a GVW of 15500#. Thats the weight you need to factor in. The next thing is the GCVW rating of your TV. Is it 22K or higher?? If it is 22K, you will need a bigger truck. A 2011 or newer 2500 D/A will do the job...LEGALLY.

xlrEAGLE1

It all depends on the weight of the truck and the cargo (passengers, added options like hitch, bed cover, spray on bed liner, fuel, the dog and cat, etc). Once you subtract the weight of the truck and all of the other stuff from the GVW of the truck, that is all you have left for hitch weight, at least legally. I think the hitch weight on the 3160EL is 2,095 dry. So, if you subtract 2,095 from 9,200, that would mean the truck and all of its cargo must weigh less than 7,105. I think you will be way over that? Furthermore, if you have added options to your coach, like a generator, washer, dryer, etc, and your normal belongings, it will add much more weight to the hitch weight.

That said, I have a 2014 F250 6.7 with a 10,000 GVW rating, with Air Lift 5000# Ultimate air bags, and have pulled my 2014 3160EL for thousands of miles with no issues. Even with the additional 800# of GVW capacity my truck has over yours, I am still a hair over the truck's GVW, so I drive no faster than 60mph and maintain greater stopping distances.

In short, your truck most likely can NOT safely handle the hitch weight of the 3160EL. It can nearly handle with the maximum (15,500) loaded towing weight of the trailer, but the hitch/pin weight is the kicker!

I plan to purchase a SRW F350 in the near future, and will eventually upgrade to a Landmark and DWR F450 in order to full time it. I know the DRW F450 is a bit overkill, but I want plenty of room for Added fuel tanks and other cargo.

Either way, good luck and happy camping!