Towing with Tanks full or nearly full.

EOneal59

I also like to keep my fresh water tank at least 3/4 full when traveling for those unforseen stops along the way

Piperflyer

I tow with all my tanks empty, but that's just me. I don't want the extra weight towing and the extra strain on the tank mounts when on rough roads.

sengli

I have been to factory and seen how these tanks are held in. In some cases the mounts for these isnt all that robust. I dont trust carrying all that weight in the tanks, and having the mounts fail. Having a tanks whether it be a fresh water or grey tank, calving thru the coroplast isnt something I want to deal with. Its just too easy to get water near or at the destination.

farside291

I dropped my full grey tank luckily on my driveway. But ever since that I try to always empty before travel if at all possible. I have in the past traveled with black tanks 3/4 full with chemicals in them to try to clean the sensors but I don't make it a habit. I just can't imagine that tank hitting the highway at speed and possibly anything behind me and would you even notice if it dropped cleanly out the back of the trailer.

NYSUPstater

Lots of debate on holding tanks full or empty while traveling. Don't get why mfr's cut corners on ways to hold them in place as that defeats the purpose of having tanks and ability to boondock or go to CG's that don't have good water or dumping stations. Old coach and new coach, we travel w/ 10 gallons of water in black tank, start to finish of season. Fresh tank is empty 99% of time unless on week long trip, then only about 20 gallons for pit stops. I know lotta water for little use while flushing. However, we go to a CG that has horrible (sulfer) water, so we fill fresh to top and travel about 100 miles each way. Tho on return trip fresh isn't as full as it's divvied up between black and grey tanks. Guess we are just playing poker w/ the tanks cuz so far so good.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I noticed on the Lippert web site they have heavy duty holding tank brackets-supports.

So.... I noticed I don't have any supports under my grey or black tanks... But Lippert will sell me them aftermarket???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
The grey and black tanks 'grow' as they fill up.

You don't have a single 2" wide strap under yours - loose when empty, snug when full?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The grey and black tanks 'grow' as they fill up.

You don't have a single 2" wide strap under yours - loose when empty, snug when full?

For sure no on the black. And I'm pretty sure no on grey 2. I can't remember on the grey 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PondSkum

This thread definitely has peaked my interest. I usually put about 1/3 tank of fresh water when traveling for the pit stops. And I've definitely towed with black and grey tanks pretty close to being filled, due to not having anywhere to dump. I always worried more about the extra weight being towed, never crossed my mind that the manufacturer of this expensive trailer wouldn't put good enough supports for it... I guess I should go ahead and pull the coroplast to check them out, I do need to find and check my rear auto level sensor anyway, just didn't want to have to remove the plastic under there yet!

On a side note, I do know that the generator and fueling station fuel tanks appear to be secured to the frame very well, and the tanks themselves are metal.