Towmax Garbage ! Another one bites the dust !!

Jim.Allison

Im not holding my breath on Heartland or Dynamic. I can bet a case of fine Canadian beer they will do absolutely nothing. I am installing 17.5 wheels with either Goodyear G114 or Continental HTL2s. Enough of this garbage. I truly thought Heartland was smarter than this !

The G114 are rated at 75 MPH, be sure to compare the speed. Michelins were 63 MPH. Same load rating though.

akmoose

We have a 2013 Bighorn with the famous blow max/tow max tires. In January of this year we noticed a big bubble on the side of one of the tires as we were parking the rig. So we got one new tire to replace the bad tow max and received credit for it. Several thousand miles later, as we were heading out this past weekend we blew another tow max tire on the same side as the last tire that had the bubble. Needless to say after researching and making several phones calls we finally found a place that had the Goodyear S614. We were their first customer of the morning and now feel better with our new tires. Two of the guys at the tire store said they sell a lot of Towmax tires but they are not the right tire for a heavy rig like a Bighorn. I know Heartland runs the spec's and they say the tire is okay but there are too many that fail so something doesn't add up. Thankfully we weren't hurt and there is damage but it can be fixed.....just not sure who will be paying for it.

lucey

So far i have heard nothing from Dynamic since the tire was shipped to them. I finally installed my new 17.5 wheels with the Continental HTL2 tires. I have to say these tires are 10 times more heavy duty than the Tow Max garbage. Also when i removed the other 5 tires i noticed one is severely separated. It would of let go any time. I will be calling Dynamic next week to send them this one as well. Heartland you should not be installing these tires on your big units. They are nothing but a safety hazard. I will be writing Heartland a letter with all the pictures and information. This is unacceptable !

Here are a couple pics of the new wheels and tires !

5xn9kh.jpg

wi62xs.jpg

MrRvGypsy

Toured the factory about a month ago and all units on the Big Horn, Landmark line at that moment had Sailun's as stock tires which I think is a step up over the junk previously installed.
However since the vast majority of RV's are simply towed to a seasonal campground and never moved but once or twice a year the manufacturers see no value in spec'ing out anything but the cheapest tire that barely meets spec's.
The stock tires I think should be considered "Delivery only Tires" with a disclaimer that they should be replaced after delivery if the trailer is intended to be towed any distance or frequency.
As someone else said how many miles and under what conditions were the delivery tires exposed to before the buyer even takes delivery of their new trailer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The stock tires I think should be considered "Delivery only Tires" with a disclaimer that they should be replaced after delivery if the trailer is intended to be towed any distance or frequency.

Sorry . . . but I think that is a load of hooeeyy!

It wouldn't cost the manufacturers much more (if any more) to put decent tires on these things with the volume of tires that they use.

And I'm willing to bet that more of these trailers are used on the road than those that sit in the same spot year around.

And let us not forget that Heartland brags about the fact that they don't "Skimp" on their tires in their brochures and their dealers.

scottyb

Sorry . . . but I think that is a load of hooeeyy!

It wouldn't cost the manufacturers much more (if any more) to put decent tires on these things with the volume of tires that they use.

So would you prefer to pay $1800 for high end tires and have some delivery driver tow your rig with them or pay $1800 at Discount Tire and get fresh tires, full warranties, and lifetime rotate and balancing?

JohnD

I suppose it is much easier to blame all of this on the delivery drivers . . .

gregattaway

Well, we pulled the trigger on a 2015 3110 and I knew about these tires but forgot to ask if they still were the stock ones ... guess well see in a few weeks ...

Ric_Flair

I was at my RV dealer a coupe of weeks ago having some warranty work done and decided to stroll around the lot and checkout the new inventory. Every brand new Cyclone and Road Warrior had BlowMax tires. One of them already had a flat!

I had my BlowMax shed it's tread 5 months from new and do $1,400 worth of damage. Running GY G614s now.

Miltp920

Unless you have taken delivery, I would think you are still in the drivers seat for an upgrade on your tires. Do it. Make your dealer work for you.

Well, we pulled the trigger on a 2015 3110 and I knew about these tires but forgot to ask if they still were the stock ones ... guess well see in a few weeks ...

gregattaway

Unless you have taken delivery, I would think you are still in the drivers seat for an upgrade on your tires. Do it. Make your dealer work for you.

haven't taken delivery but down payment and finance all done ... i'll bite the bullet and get them replaced when i tow it home (tx to az) ... knew i forgot something ... lol

JohnD

I was at my RV dealer a coupe of weeks ago having some warranty work done and decided to stroll around the lot and checkout the new inventory. Every brand new Cyclone and Road Warrior had BlowMax tires. One of them already had a flat!

Interesting . . . when I was at my dealership back in May getting it dewinterized and the final round of warranty repairs done, I strolled around the new lot and none of the Heartland trailers had BlowMax tires on them.

Matter of fact, I didn't see any other brand with them, either.

However, many of them had 'Tow King' tires on them . . . which suspiciously looked at lot like the BlowMax's.

Miltp920

You could ask your dealer IF you could still upgrade the tires in your deal, since you have just become educated on a possible issue that you would like to avoid. ALL they can say is NO. I would think they might have a dealer wholesale price advantage that they might extend to you to keep a happy customer. Happy customers tend to be repeat customers. i am on my 4th camper upgrade. You can quote me when you speak to your dealer. I think the savings could be hundreds of $$$$$$. IF they can put Sailun 14 ply tires on your rig at half the price of GY614s, you are problem avoided.

QUOTE=gregattaway;370735]haven't taken delivery but down payment and finance all done ... i'll bite the bullet and get them replaced when i tow it home (tx to az) ... knew i forgot something ... lol[/QUOTE]

gregattaway

Still trying to find the actual make of them and I will go from there ... thank you!!!

You could ask your dealer IF you could still upgrade the tires in your deal, since you have just become educated on a possible issue that you would like to avoid. ALL they can say is NO. I would think they might have a dealer wholesale price advantage that they might extend to you to keep a happy customer. Happy customers tend to be repeat customers. i am on my 4th camper upgrade. You can quote me when you speak to your dealer. I think the savings could be hundreds of $$$$$$. IF they can put Sailun 14 ply tires on your rig at half the price of GY614s, you are problem avoided.

QUOTE=gregattaway;370735]haven't taken delivery but down payment and finance all done ... i'll bite the bullet and get them replaced when i tow it home (tx to az) ... knew i forgot something ... lol
[/QUOTE]

JohnD

Still trying to find the actual make of them and I will go from there ... thank you!!!

Your dealer should be able to call Heartland and put the change in for you, most especially if they haven't started building it yet.

If your dealer won't do it . . . call Heartland directly (have your paperwork at hand as you'll need some info from it).

pegmikef

FWIW, I paid $1,295 to upgrade to G614s (including the spare) when I ordered the option and it is listed as over 2k MSRP on the options list. Just an example of what a dealer can do.

Miltp920

That is pretty good, I found them or $375 each for 4 mounted on my old rims. So $1500 for 4. 1300 for 5 is really good! Let the dealer help you before they forget you exist and move on to the next sale.

QUOTE=pegmikef;370871]FWIW, I paid $1,295 to upgrade to G614s (including the spare) when I ordered the option and it is listed as over 2k MSRP on the options list. Just an example of what a dealer can do.[/QUOTE]

Stinger381

image.jpgimage.jpgWell I almost fell victim to the Tow Max tires too. Luckily I caught it time. I use my camper primarily during the winter months as a camping retreat and it usually gets 2 or 3 small trips per year around 300 miles each way. My tires were getting close to 4 years old so I was greasing up he axles before our 4th of July trip yesterday and noticed the front tires on both sides were damaged. How they had not blown is a surprise to me. I quickly removed all four tires and hit the tire stores for some new tires. Unfortunately the tire dealers are limited in my area and the only thing I could find for the trip were cheap tires made by Akuret. I will use them but I will be very cautious. I will try to attach some pics of the tow max tires. I guess I got lucky to get as much use from the tow max tires as I did

gregattaway

Just found out they are called Road King and on one tire site I read "Road King Towmax" tires ... So it appears some ole tires ... Dealer is suppose to get me some prices ... FYI, this rig was bought off the lot so not coming from the factory ... I just have to go pick it up ... I already have a line on sum Goodyear's not far from the dealership just in case ...