Towmax Tire Blowout

rainmakeroc

Have a 2014 Cyclone 3110 Toy Hauler with less then 6000 miles on it. It came new to me with the Towmax tires. While coming home las week on I-95 near Brunswick Georgia, the right side front axle tire blew out at 65 MPH. Tires were gauged to MFG. Specs prior to departure in am. Needless to say I now have damage to fender and panel area on trailer. Stopped in Brunswick and purchased five new 14 ply tires. Heard of the horror stories about the Towmax tires, checked the MFG date of 2013 and learned the hard way !!!

DuaneG

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I still haven't replaced mine but check them before any trips until I can replace them. I won't buy any trailers in the future if they don't start putting quality tires on them from the factory. No excuses. I would pay a few hundred more for quality tires but probably not necessarily if they buy in bulk.

danemayer

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I still haven't replaced mine but check them before any trips until I can replace them. I won't buy any trailers in the future if they don't start putting quality tires on them from the factory. No excuses. I would pay a few hundred more for quality tires but probably not necessarily if they buy in bulk.

The factory offers upgraded tires at additional cost on many models.

DW_Gray

Did you know...

That every RV forum has multiple complaints about various models of RV tires? By contrast, there are few complaints about the same tire filed at NHTSA.
Consider spending less time filing a NHTSA complaint. NHTSA does not read RV forums. Complaints may be filed even without recommended details such as the tire DOT number.
Three important recommendations: Take before and after pictures for reference, keep a current tire log in the RV, and leave the emotions out of the details when filing a complaint.

justafordguy

The factory offers upgraded tires at additional cost on many models.

I sure wish the dealers would let us know this was an option before we waist our money on sub-standard tires. My dealer never said a thing, and after I started reading of all the complaints I called the dealer and asked about issues with TowMax. They said they were good tires, they never have any issues with them and not to worry. YEAH RIGHT!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dealers want to sell RVs, not create more work for themselves.

Heartland is in the process of switching away from TowMax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upon Edit: Tires are just not a glamorous upsell. ;)

Jim.Allison

Exactly......and I ordered my rig!!!! Had I known there was any doubt about the application of the tires, i.e. transport to trailer park for full timing without travel, v. traveling with it, I would have certainly sprung for the G614s. LOL, sell me a trailer with tires that are lucky to make it across town.

LB for LB and Mile for Mile, Towmax are way more expensive than G614, G114s, and especially way, way more than Sailuns. Mathematically speaking, my insurance company could have bought me a set of G614s and come out ahead, after paying for the damage the Tomax caused.

That is how pathetic the Tomax is. A good salesman, could have searched the issue on his cell phone, showed it to me and explained that all manufacturers provide Towmax, and that the need for the G614 upgrade was needed for travel.

What is laughable is that people read this stuff and don't believe it. They think we are complaining. Until they look in the side mirror and see all that smoke, and rubber flying off the coach. During the mile it takes to find a place to pull off, the tandem turns so hot you can't touch it. If you're lucky, that tire will last only 500 more miles before it goes too.

Sorry so long but, I feel the need to be emphatic about the subject.

I sure wish the dealers would let us know this was an option before we waist our money on sub-standard tires. My dealer never said a thing, and after I started reading of all the complaints I called the dealer and asked about issues with TowMax. They said they were good tires, they never have any issues with them and not to worry. YEAH RIGHT!

brw549

2014 Big Country 3650 RL this is my second issue with towmax. The first was noticed by my wife when we pulled off the hwy a year ago. The sidewall was bulging out as big as my fist. As the tire cooled the bulge disappeared. I raised the unit up and put on the spare. I located a Towmax dealer and they replaced the tire no questions asked. Last week while headed to Gulf Shores Al. another tire blow out and this time there wasn't enough of the tire left to get the numbers off of it towmax needs. It also ripped the hydraulics off my auto-leveling system and all of the finder skirting is gone. 3500.00 in damages because of a tire that I feel has issues. I have noticed the new Heartline fifth wheels are coming equipped with a LT tire not a ST tire... although its marked LT it has "for trailer use only" on it. My camper now sits in a Heartline dealers lot waiting for repairs...The tire issue on these RVs needs to be addressed before someone is killed. Although we know about the date stamping on the tires and when they were manufactured, the rest remains a issue of trial and error...

brianlajoie

The tire issue on these RVs needs to be addressed before someone is killed. Although we know about the date stamping on the tires and when they were manufactured, the rest remains a issue of trial and error...

It is unfortunate the you still have these tires after noticing that there are no fans of these tires on this forum. If you haven't figured it out by now, please replace these tires on your rig ASAP. I replaced my tires as soon as I could because the information on this forum gave me nightmares of a tire blowout on the highway. I consider my self very lucky to get 7200 miles out of my blowmax's and still trade them in for my 614's. Safe travels...