TOWMAX Tire Recall - 15 Inch

crussian

Hi Folks - there was a discussion in another forum (Heartland) about a recall on a certain model of the 5th wheel line. That aside, someone was wondering if there was a recall on TOWMAX tires. There is. Here is the link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...ke=TOWMAX+STR&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1978692

Also:
Report Receipt Date: NOV 07, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14T015000
Component(s): TIRES

[h=4] All Products Associated with this Recall [/h] [h=4]Details [/h] [h=4]5 Associated Documents [/h] Manufacturer: Dynamic Tire Corp.
[h=5]SUMMARY:[/h] Dynamic Tire Corp. (Dynamic) is recalling certain Towmax STR tires, size ST225/75 R15 manufactured June 15, 2014, to October 14, 2014. The affected tires may have the Incorrect Load Capacity and Inflation Pressure Stampings. Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 119, "New Pneumatic Tires for Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars." [h=5]CONSEQUENCE:[/h] The misinformation on the label could lead a driver to overinflate the tires. Tire overinflation may increase the risk of a tire failure which can increase the risk of a crash. [h=5]REMEDY:[/h] Dynamic will notify owners, and dealers will replace all eligible tires, free of charge. The recall began on December 24, 2014. Owners may contact Dynamic QA/Compliance at 1-905-595-5558 Ext. 508. [h=5]NOTES:[/h] Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Now this recall is a specific tire size and dates of manufacturer. Although there is no complaint at this time for the tires on my 5th wheel, Oakmont, I am wondering does that mean they are safe if I stick to the manufacturer's recommend tire pressure? I have TOWMAX 235/85/16's. Just wondering if anyone else has these size tires if they are performing for them.

Thanks in advance.

Cary & Janet

Lynn1130

Re: TOWMAX Tire Recall

They should recall everything that has been put on the road to date. Sorry, snarky but true.

SeattleLion

This recall only covers mislabeling. I could only find two complaints for defective tires.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Although there is no complaint at this time for the tires on my 5th wheel, Oakmont, I am wondering does that mean they are safe if I stick to the manufacturer's recommend tire pressure? I have TOWMAX 235/85/16's. Just wondering if anyone else has these size tires if they are performing for them.

Thanks in advance.

Cary & Janet

Cary & Janet, Towmax discussions have been going on for at least 4 years here on this forum. Many owners who have Towmax have had unusual tread wear, bubbles, tread separation, broken belts within the tire and blowouts. Many have also claimed they are driving safely, checking their pressures, traveling at a speed within the specs of the tire (under 65mph), haven't driven over curbs or hit road debris. Based on the number of complaints seen here on this forum alone, I would recommend you change the tires as soon as you can. Although there is not a recall, the number of unexplained failures seems to be unusually high. For peace of mind, I would change to a more reliable tire.

Grey Ghost

Those tires are dangerous and should not be put on any RV rig. Sorry, I've had really bad experiences with them and so have many other people. Just get them off your rig as soon as possible. Had them on two rigs and had problems both times, expensive problems, so safe yourself some grief and get them off your rig ASAP. I told a friend of mine when he went looking for a new rig and he made the dealer take the Towmax tires off and replace them before he would purchase the rig. Better safe than sorry. I now run with Michelins and have had no problems since. Lots of posts on here to show the problems with these tires.

crussian

Thanks for your inputs one and all. The tires will come off before my first excursion.

Thank you.

Cary & Janet

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I hate to say it, but my BlowMax tires have been behaving flawlessly . . . until our recent trip to Arizona!

However, the tires were perfect when we left for our January 2015 trip to Arizona, but somewhere along the way (although after looking at photos, I think the springs were shot when we bought the trailer), the springs gave out so that the trailer bottomed out on the tires and gouged them . . . then for some strange reason they suddenly decided to start wearing out on the edges (some inside edge, some outside edge), then we had a wheel bearing blow out that took the brake assembly along with it!

Now that we are home, all five Blowmax's are completely destroyed.

But not because of any defects with the tires . . . but because of defects with the trailer!

Less than 5000 miles on the trailer . . . but over a year after we bought it . . . so NOT covered by Heartland or the extended warranty we purchased.

Don't waste your money on an extended warranty . . . they just won't pay!

My advice . . . use your trailer as much as possible before the one year anniversary of your purchase date, because anything that is a defect probably will not expose itself until AFTER the one year anniversary date!

Tool958

That's exactly why I don't buy an extended warranty on anything. They wouldn't offer them if they thought they were going to have to pay much of anything out. It's big money for them and more out of your pocket. It's the biggest scam in the insurance and manufacturing industry. They know how long their products will last and bet on it every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whp4262

I hate to say it, but my BlowMax tires have been behaving flawlessly . . . until our recent trip to Arizona!

However, the tires were perfect when we left for our January 2015 trip to Arizona, but somewhere along the way (although after looking at photos, I think the springs were shot when we bought the trailer), the springs gave out so that the trailer bottomed out on the tires and gouged them . . . then for some strange reason they suddenly decided to start wearing out on the edges (some inside edge, some outside edge), then we had a wheel bearing blow out that took the brake assembly along with it!

Now that we are home, all five Blowmax's are completely destroyed.

But not because of any defects with the tires . . . but because of defects with the trailer!

Less than 5000 miles on the trailer . . . but over a year after we bought it . . . so NOT covered by Heartland or the extended warranty we purchased.

Don't waste your money on an extended warranty . . . they just won't pay!

My advice . . . use your trailer as much as possible before the one year anniversary of your purchase date, because anything that is a defect probably will not expose itself until AFTER the one year anniversary date!

John did you replace your tires yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John did you replace your tires yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet . . .

I need to get the springs replaced first, then an alignment before I replace the tires.

Although I may try to do the tires and alignment at the same time.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I have a few thoughts on tires. I have always replaced the tires and rims on all of my trailers, rims if necessary. Usually when I do I go up a size thus needing the rims. I did it to my stock trailer, jet ski trailer, our flatbed, and our previous 5'ver. I have never had a blow out on any of those trailers. While doing some research on our current camper, the oem tires are only weight rated 10 pounds over what is needed. What I mean is, we have 2 3500 pound axles, that equates to 1750 pounds a tire and rim. Our current tires are rated for 1760 pounds. Bare minimum to say the least. Next week I am buying 15 inch rims and putting some goodyear ht load range D tires on. The load range D tire ups the weight capacity per axle by 672 pounds. If you go by rim weight capacity it equals about the same. My biggest thought on the weight capacity is, if a tire is rated to carry a certain weight, how much over that weight in pure force is on that tire if you hit a dip in the road at highway speed? I believe much more than what they are rated for. So I always replace with something that will handle more weight. Going with a larger/taller rim also lets the bearings run cooler, which I know will let them last longer.